Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Have we heard the last of Steve Jobs?

View Poll Results: Did Steve leave a last message that will be announced later?
Poll Options:
Yes 2 votes (10.53%)
No 10 votes (52.63%)
Maybe, wouldn't surprise me. 7 votes (36.84%)
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll
Have we heard the last of Steve Jobs?
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 08:58 PM

Steve knew his time was coming. I have a thought lingering in the back of my head. He was a control freak and every aspect of his life and work he had total control on. Would it be a big shocker that even in death he might have one more surprise for us. Something tells me we have yet to see one more thing. Perhaps a good bye video that will be played at a later date. Something that says good bye to every one on his terms. Maybe not. But I would not be surprised if a video good bye message is announced. I just can't see him slipping away silently. This is purely speculation on my part.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 09:15 PM

I think the official biography is a big part of what you're hoping for. I don't know if there's a final video sign off anywhere. I'm actually hoping that he worked with Siri engineers, Ray Kurzweil and other techno-futurists to create an iSteve AI/Jobs Bot that will have a permanent virtual seat on Apple's board.

Why is this in the PWL?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 09:26 PM

Posting mistake, need a mod to move it to the normal lounge.

I think a iSteve AI would be horrible. Last thing I need is my phone screaming at me to do a better job

I wouldn't be surprised if his last message could be in the book too. And considering how sick he looked maybe no video. But I wouldn't put it past him. Maybe a special Apple Event him on the screen thanking every one at apple and a last message of encouragement for his company and his customers. That is something I see as his style.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm actually hoping that he worked with Siri engineers, Ray Kurzweil and other techno-futurists to create an iSteve AI/Jobs Bot that will have a permanent virtual seat on Apple's board.
I had a similar thought.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2011, 10:08 PM

I can tell you when we will Steve Jobs next. After the Mothership– err, new campus is built, they will hold a dedication ceremony in the center gardens. It will be there that Steve Jobs will return, in the form of a hologram, much like Hari Seldon (Down to being in a wheelchair, as this messages were recorded in his final days). Then, every five years, his Hologram will revisit the Mothership, to congratulate them on what they should have accomplished, and to point the direction to what new areas of technology they should explore and perfect.

Cold Warrior
Oct 6, 2011, 11:08 PM

Moved to the Lounge.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Maybe a special Apple Event him on the screen thanking every one at apple and a last message of encouragement for his company and his customers. That is something I see as his style.
Yeah, that could be likely.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 04:21 AM

One more thing...

reader50
Administrator
Oct 7, 2011, 04:50 AM

For some reason, I was expecting this to be a strange reincarnation thread. That experts have already determined he'll be reborn in Tibet on Aug 1, 2012. That the rest of us will not recognize him until the late teenage years, when he starts marketing hoverboards in 2031.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2011, 06:51 AM

A coworker (not terribly tech oriented) said she thought Steve had probably gotten a whole lot of projects started in the last year or so, and that his fingerprints would be all over new Apple products for years to come. I agree; Steve knew of his mortality, and used that as a strong motivator to keep moving, keep working, keep innovating. I think we'll continue to see new Steve-imagined stuff from Apple for a very long time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 06:58 AM

If Jobs is this full of surprises, perhaps he bid all farewell to his cryogenics chamber and will reemerge in 2031; not as a mere likeness, but as Steve Jobs himself.
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 07:33 AM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Oct 7, 2011, 08:22 AM

After reading the article where he says his goodbyes to a chosen few, I think he wasn't focussed on us huddled masses. He was turning away actual people he knew. So if there were a video it would have been made long before he stepped down and got so sick.

I can see an engineer putting him into Siri - if Roger Ebert can get a computer voice of himself, I'm sure a Steve Jobs voice could be made.

That said, I like Dakar's idea.

dav
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 08:24 AM

Apple Puts Power Mac G4 Cube on Ice

CUPERTINO, California—July 3, 2001—Apple® today announced that it will suspend production of the Power Mac™ G4 Cube indefinitely. The company said there is a small chance it will reintroduce an upgraded model of the unique computer in the future, but that there are no plans to do so at this time.
special edition cube!
one post closer to five stars

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 09:13 AM

I'd like to see a Steve voice for the speech synthesizer. What will make this voice different is that Steve will come down hard on you for not doing your best. A GPS voice would be interesting too - maybe to apply more of the philosophical side of Steve when you need directions.

Dakar's idea is interesting, but somewhat out of Woody Allen's Sleeper (Our Leader)... maybe too creepy?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 12:06 PM

dav makes a point. Steve loved Cubes. His urn/coffin should be a cube.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Oct 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Damn you autocorrect.)

Thorzdad
Oct 7, 2011, 12:36 PM

Other than the very high probability of Steve-influenced future products, I think what the world got (his resignation letter) was most likely the last you will hear from him (At least purposely. I'm not counting anything unauthorized that might get leaked from Apple or his family in the future.) Jobs was a fairly private man, as far as his personal life was concerned. I just can't see him arranging for some surprise "Good bye" media bomb.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 12:39 PM

Exactly. Plus, I've seen it referenced that he had been influenced by the story of Disney in terms of the dangers of "founder's syndrome."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Other than the very high probability of Steve-influenced future products, I think what the world got (his resignation letter) was most likely the last you will hear from him (At least purposely. I'm not counting anything unauthorized that might get leaked from Apple or his family in the future.) Jobs was a fairly private man, as far as his personal life was concerned. I just can't see him arranging for some surprise "Good bye" media bomb.
You mean beyond the authorized biography, of course.

That's apparently very frank.

Thorzdad
Oct 7, 2011, 01:37 PM

I'm counting that as a Steve-influenced future product.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 01:59 PM

I am hoping for a speech and lobby towards patent reform and net neutrality

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2011, 02:12 PM

Elvis told me that Steve jobs would be back. He heard it from DB Cooper.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 02:15 PM

You know I was thinking about it, I would have expected Steve to have his body/brain put in cryo with the hopes of being revived in the future. He had the money for it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 02:20 PM

You know I was thinking about it, I would have expected Steve to have his body/brain put in cryo with the hopes of being revived in the future. He had the money for it.
No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2011, 02:32 PM

I accidentally voted for No, but I think we have heard the last from Steve. He was too frail at the end to have created a video or even written a letter to the public. If he had I think we already would have seen it.

As sad as it is he is gone for good and I don't expect a one more thing.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Is "" really necessary? He fought and fought hard. regardless of his statement on the subject he explored all possible avenues to prolong his life. Non traditional therapies, a very complex and risky operation and a out of state Liver Transplant. Is it unreasonable to think he might have considered one last option?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 02:41 PM

Smileys suck, sorry.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 7, 2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I'd like to see a Steve voice for the speech synthesizer. What will make this voice different is that Steve will come down hard on you for not doing your best. A GPS voice would be interesting too - maybe to apply more of the philosophical side of Steve when you need directions.
"Aren't you there YET? C'mon, you can do better. Punch it, and outmaneuver any cop cars. I expect excellence. Not arriving 5 minutes early is just not good enough."

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 04:12 PM

Well today is the third day...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 12:14 PM

Steve spent his last days with his family. It would be cool if he recorded a video message for his fans before his death, but I find that unlikely and low on his priority list. It would probably make me sad to see it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Steve spent his last days with his family. It would be cool if he recorded a video message for his fans before his death, but I find that unlikely and low on his priority list. It would probably make me sad to see it.
I don't think he would want people to see the physical condition he was in at the end.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't updated Steve's entry in the built in dictionary application.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 12:36 PM

He did know he was terminal as early as February. That's a lot of time to do something. If there is one, it would be a timed release based on what he would have decided, maybe in junction with something who knows. If there is one.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 01:38 PM

He did know he was terminal as early as February. That's a lot of time to do something. If there is one, it would be a timed release based on what he would have decided, maybe in junction with something who knows. If there is one.
I don't think it will happen, but it would be amazing if next year when they release the iPhone 5 they do so with a video of Steve demonstrating it. That would be a neat way to show his continuing influence too.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I accidentally voted for No, but I think we have heard the last from Steve. He was too frail at the end to have created a video or even written a letter to the public. If he had I think we already would have seen it.

As sad as it is he is gone for good and I don't expect a one more thing.
The poll question is framed exactly the opposite of the thread title, so you actually voted correctly.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
The poll question is framed exactly the opposite of the thread title, so you actually voted correctly.
Well what do you know
Now I have to wonder whether I'm not only one that was oblivious to that or whether everyone else messed up their votes.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2011, 03:08 PM

Have we heard the last of Steve Jobs?

Did Steve put a "bomb" in RIM's Blackberry before he departed, just before Apple launch iPhone 4S ?

BlackBerry outage day three: Cut off millions tempted to Apple's iPhone 4S | Metro.co.uk

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/articles/...blackberry.htm

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 03:34 PM

I certainly hope we haven't heard the last of Steve. Thinking about it, my best guess is some kind of opening speech for the new Apple HQ. Whether it would be shown outside of Apple or not is another matter.

I'm really going to miss hearing Steve's voice announcing new products and services.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2011, 04:33 PM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 06:07 PM

IIRC, he left a big list of ideas with Apple, and they thought it may take a few years to get through it all.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
IIRC, he left a big list of ideas with Apple, and they thought it may take a few years to get through it all.
Yep
Steve Jobs dead: Apple boss left plans for 4 years of new products | Mail Online
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules