Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Merge OS SSD & Data SSD - How?

Merge OS SSD & Data SSD - How?
badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2015, 07:25 AM

Hi,

I used to have a 250GB SSD with the OS and all Apps + a 1TB HDD with the USER directory in my 2011 MBP.
Now I swapped the 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD and would like to merge the OS and the Apps from the older 250GB SSD to the new 1TB SSD.
What's the easiest way to do this?

The 1TB SSD is already a 1:1 clone from my old 1TB HDD - can I now just copy everything from the 250GB SSD to the 1TB SSD with SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner? I'm a bit afraid that I would lose or overwrite some important stuff with that procedure!

Or is it possible to make a complete Timemachine BackUp from both disks, remove the 250GB SSD from the notebook and then use the backup to play back all data to the 1TB SSD?

I'm a bit lost

(Yes, 1TB is enough for all data on both disks!)

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 1, 2015, 08:18 AM

I'd SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner everything from the old OS drive, then copy absolutely everything over from the 1TB HD into a holding folder.

Sort as necessary as you go. That way you know you got everything, it just may not start exactly where you want it.

P
Apr 1, 2015, 10:10 AM

Hm. I think I would partition the big SSD into two and clone each of the old drives onto the two partitions without ever merging them. Failing that, I'd do what I think Mike is saying: clone the startup drive into the big SSD and then just plain copy from the old HDD in the right position on the new drive.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2015, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the tips! Seems like cloning the old 1TB HDD first wasn't the best idea. Maybe I just stick with both SSDs as I have it right now. That already made a huge difference to before since some apps (like Safari) now start a lot faster. I wasn't aware that Safari loads that much from the User folder but the difference is now: 20 bounces for a cold start to 2 bounces with the new SSD!

P
Apr 2, 2015, 05:32 AM

If you don't need the small SSD somewhere else, just keep it as you have it now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules