Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G5 with processor soldered on daughtercard?

New G5 with processor soldered on daughtercard?
euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 11:58 AM

Does anybody know about it? Are the new G5 soldered onto the motherboard or do they use a daughtercard solution for this? It would be an important detail, you could upgrade a single G5 machine to a dual to enhance performance.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2003, 12:30 PM

You can't upgrade a single g5 to a dual g5.
And it's hopefully on a daughtercard.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 26, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
You can't upgrade a single g5 to a dual g5.
And it's hopefully on a daughtercard.
So I guess it means they have a few different motherboard designs then. Where did you read this?

You can downgrade a dual G5 to a single G5 though. They did this in the VeriTest benchmarks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 26, 2003, 02:52 PM

They probably just did that in software.

tooki

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 02:59 PM

What Eug said: That would mean there is a single proc. motherboard version and a dual motherboard version. Kinda unlikely!?!!!

And what about future upgrade kits from Newertech and Sonnet? IIRC you can plug in a dual daughtercard into a former single proc. machine.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 26, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
They probably just did that in software.
No they physically removed the processor.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 03:33 PM

I would think that because of the Unshared bus for memory, either the mobo is for duals or it is not.

Thus, no processor pack swapping.

The better question is "Is the G5 processor card upgradeable?" so when the 3GHz ones come out in a year, you can replace your 1.6 or dual 2.0 with a 3.0 or dual 3.0, etc.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 03:46 PM

Quote:
"I would think that because of the Unshared bus for memory, either the mobo is for duals or it is not."

Why would that be a problem? The system controller could detect if the second processor bus is in use and if not simply shut it of. Big Xeon Workstations can also run with one or two processors (but i do not know if they work with shared or unshared bus).

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 04:17 PM

I can dis- or en-able the L2/L3 cache or the number of CPU on my FW800 via the Apple's CHUD software [ available at their developer site].

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 04:37 PM

Why would that be a problem? The system controller could detect if the second processor bus is in use and if not simply shut it of. Big Xeon Workstations can also run with one or two processors (but i do not know if they work with shared or unshared bus).
It's not a "problem", but Apple, who is very cost conscious, would likely not place the controller or the ram slots for a processor that the machine didn't ship with.

It's possible that there is only one mobo for both the dual and the single G5 with PCI-X (I am ignoring the 1.6GHZ Yikes model), but I seriously doubt all the components are there for a dual on a single processor machine.

Until proven otherwise, I stand by my supposition.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules