Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New to Visual Basic, any helpful suggestions?

New to Visual Basic, any helpful suggestions?
euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 02:38 PM

I recently heard of a job opportunity, it matches quite well with my knowledge and experience. The only CON is the use of Visual Basic on a daily base. Can anyone hint me to some usefull info sources? Is it difficult to learn (i�m not the classical informatics guy)? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 27, 2003, 04:14 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 12, 2004 at 12:34 PM. )

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 04:19 PM

If you've got MSOffice, preferably on a PC, then open up the VBA editor (under extras) and spend some time working through the help file, which is very good. There's also a good book by Data Becker (Deutsch) on VB.
weird wabbit

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
If you've got MSOffice, preferably on a PC, then open up the VBA editor (under extras) and spend some time working through the help file, which is very good. There's also a good book by Data Becker (Deutsch) on VB.
Well, there is a difference between VB for Applications, (Office scripting) and VB. It might not matter for what euphras is doing, but it might.

Just install Visual Studio and the Library (documentation). It's exhaustive and links to the development studio nicely (highlight work and hit F1 for Library help).

I've only dabbled with VB, but it's pretty easy to pick up and the the development tools and documentation are pretty damn good. That's why there are so many developers for Windows
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 05:56 PM

I learned VB using "An Introduction to Programming Using VisualBasic 6.0" Fourth Edition

David I. Schneider... If you have previous programming experience, may be enough to get you aquainted (it's similar to many popular languages).

My BIG complaint about VB is how fussy in can be in some things, and how it can be so lax in others.

A slight bug in a loop can cause a bug in the IDE to just crash the damn thing (hopefully a newer version fixed that)... got very anoying as programs started to get slightly more complex then "Hell0 W0rld".

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the input so far....i really would like to apply for this job but first i have to figure out if this VB is not THAT big obstacle for me..

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 07:37 PM

Well, it took me a day to pick it up. Serious, but then I know a whole lot of programming languages.. everything from Fortan to Obj-C. To give you an idea of how simple it is, it took me like 5 days to get going with Perl.

It has object oriented programming, it's okay, Java definetely has a better model.

It is a basic style language, so it's really easy to understand for a first time user I think. You don't have to worry about types, if you don't want to, but I would.

At work, I work primarily in Perl and VB. Apart from learning the language, it took me about a week to get comfortable with it. I know EXCEL VB programming very well. (I am actually at work right now updating a program that strips excel data and spits it into a fortran program).

However, I find that VB in Excel at least, is unstable. I crash the program very frequently when developing.

If I could do the stuff I do in another language, I would, but VB is best suited for what I am doing.

If you haven't programmed before, and they are getting you to do some complicated things, it's going to take you more than a week to learn VB, and longer to get used to it. On the other hand, if you know programming, you'll pick it up very quickly.

The two reference books I have on VB are:
-Excel 2002 Power Programming with VBA - John Walkenbach - M&T Books
-VBScript Pocket Reference - Matt Childs, Paul Lomax, and Ron Petrusha - published by O'Reilly

I find O'Reilly books are always good, but they assume technical background. They are short sweet, zero filler, higly concentrated sources of information.

Hmm, you'll be happy to know that VB in Office on both platforms (mac/windows), has extensive built in help describing every object available for you to work with.

A good way to see how VB sort of works, is to record macros. These will help you understand how to manipulate objects in office, but won't give you any ideas as how to use logic. For that, you'll need a book or web tutorial.

I can't point you to any web resources, sorry, I never looked for any when I learned.

Good luck. Give it a try at least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules