Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > OS X and typography

OS X and typography
badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 05:15 AM

This is a thread I have to start for a friend of mine who is a professional graphic designer and kind of a typography "expert".
In the last weeks I finally managed to make him buy a new G5 and do the step from OS9 to X!
While he now likes OS X very much he also claims to have very serious typography problems (kerning, ...) that are confirmed by his graphic design colleges!
My problem now is that I could always help him with most of his technical issues but since I myself don't know very much about typography and have also never heard of such serious problems with OS x, I don't know what's wrong and what he should do, to make them disappear!
The only thing I did, was suggesting that he should get Font Agent Pro instead of using Apple's FontBook.

What do you guys think/know? Is OS X really such an disaster for fonts?
(he's really picky! Disaster here means that those are problems a normal guy like me wouldn't notice!!)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2004, 01:58 PM

Quick Answer: Ummm, wait till Tiger (I know... I know... it makes me groan just saying that) Aperently this is oner area that they have really focused on.

Long Answer: Yes, I've heard the kerning problem, but have never had it to be an issue with what I do. Perhaps you could get a screen shot of the problem.

OS X is currently OK-ish with fonts... but could use a major overhaul.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
...While he now likes OS X very much he also claims to have very serious typography problems (kerning, ...) that are confirmed by his graphic design colleges!
Problems in what application and with which typefaces? (Font files)

[side bar: I'm a little freaked out by the roaches running in the banner ad at the moment!]

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by mydog8mymac:
Problems in what application and with which typefaces? (Font files)
Freehand and Postscript fonts (or do you mean which font exactly?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules