Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cubic Yardage Containers - Suggestions?

Cubic Yardage Containers - Suggestions?
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 30, 2021, 02:54 PM

I’m at the point where I need to get a cubic yard of mulch, and another of distressed granite. But I cannot have it blocking my driveway, and since it’s really sloped that wouldn’t be practical anyway.

So I need some way to store the products - that I can eventually fold up and put away - in my yard.

I’ve looked at this product, which holds 3 yards and includes “pick up” services from Waste Management. More than I need, but enough more that I could somehow divide it for granite on one side and mulch on the other. I think it’s workable, but…. My ideal would be two, one cubic yard containers made of the same material, but I haven’t found anything like that.

Any suggestions, especially from practical experience, would be highly appreciated.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 30, 2021, 03:34 PM

Are you going to use this product on your property, or are you just storing it there before transportation to some other location? Any reason it can't just be a pile in your yard?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 30, 2021, 04:36 PM

You could buy both products in bags, then stack wherever you wish. It will cost more for the product, but you don't have to buy containers.

andi*pandi
Jul 30, 2021, 05:12 PM

that's a lotta bags.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 30, 2021, 05:49 PM

I’m looking at taking delivery of bulk materials on my property, with the materials going into some sort of container so I can keep it corralled while I work on spreading it out. I’m investigating getting less than a whole yard of each because I don’t need that much at the moment.

The whole “store it” thing is because I’m still not 100% for doing the heavy lifting and hauling that just having it piled in the yard requires. With the materials contained, I won’t have to worry about whether it’s going to get spread around inappropriately by local critters, and so on.

Bagged distressed granite comes in 0.5 cubic foot bags that weigh 40 pounds and cost about $4 each. I can get a cubic yard of the stuff (27 cubic feet) for $40.

Similarly, bagged mulch comes in 2 cubic foot bags for about $3, while a cubic yard costs $10. This one has me on the fence, because the absolute cost difference may be offset by ease in handling.

It is MUCH more affordable to buy in bulk

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Aug 2, 2021, 09:36 AM

Well there’s something I hadn’t considered…. Delivery charges. The $60 delivery charge is $10 more than the combined cost of 1 yard each of granite and mulch ($40 + $10). So that’s not going to work.

It looks like it will be much more efficient for me to buy bagged mulch, even if it costs more per cube. And I can buy the amount I need right now, and not have to worry about storing any excess.

The granite is a different matter. Those 1/2 cubic foot bags are way expensive. I’m going to see if there’s another vendor nearby that will sell cubic feet or partial yards, and that will let me pick it up.

A cubic yard of granite weighs 3,000 pounds (+/-), so 1/3 yard would weigh 1k, and 1/4 would weigh 750 pounds. A quarter yard is almost 7 cubic feet, and that’s still more than I really need, but an amount I can probably haul away in my car. So back to research for that.

In the meantime, today’s weather is such that I can’t do any yard work, and I won’t need to water anything for several days…it’s shifting back and forth between light rain and “cats and dogs”, with some occasional medium farm animals thrown in.

Thorzdad
Aug 2, 2021, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
A cubic yard of granite weighs 3,000 pounds (+/-), so 1/3 yard would weigh 1k, and 1/4 would weigh 750 pounds. A quarter yard is almost 7 cubic feet, and that’s still more than I really need, but an amount I can probably haul away in my car. So back to research for that.
That "probably" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. I hope by "my car" you mean "friend's truck".
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Aug 2, 2021 at 11:13 AM. )

andi*pandi
Aug 2, 2021, 11:07 AM

having them deliver and just dump it would save a lot of backache.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 2, 2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
A cubic yard of granite weighs 3,000 pounds (+/-), so 1/3 yard would weigh 1k, and 1/4 would weigh 750 pounds. A quarter yard is almost 7 cubic feet, and that’s still more than I really need, but an amount I can probably haul away in my car.
Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
That "probably" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. I hope by "my car" you mean "friend's truck".
Ditto - it had better be a pickup truck. Or a utility trailer. Something with a bed.

If you try to haul 750 pounds of loose granite in a car ... Well, that car will never be the same inside. Trade-in value will go down quite a bit.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Aug 2, 2021, 03:27 PM

After posting that, reality set in. The $60 delivery charge sure kills the savings of buying in bulk, but…

Yeah, it wouldn’t be 750 pounds of anything in one load. More like several loads of about 150 to 200 pounds each. I can do that with my CR-V. The cargo area is build to support that kind of load, and more important, I have the correct tarps to keep from remembering “that time I hauled crushed granite in my CR-V”.

And this is still in the pondering stage, so I certainly haven’t committed to destroying my back to save a few bucks. But my available funds just won’t support spending over $100 to buy $50 worth of materials, so I need to work on a strategy to get it done, safely and efficiently.

Forum Links
Forum Rules