Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB battery capacity decline

PB battery capacity decline
skarim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2005, 11:09 PM

Hi,

I have a 12inch 1Ghz PB. My battery has lost 50% of its original capacity in about 16 months. Is this what others have experienced?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 11:23 PM

Hi,

I don't think that's normal, unless you've gone through about 800 charge cycles. If I remember correctly, after 400 charge cycles, the battery should retain 80% of it's capacity, if kept under optimal conditions. Have you exposed the PowerBook (or it's battery) to any overly hot conditions? That can permanently damage it's capacity.

More information on the subject can be found here.

Information specific to Apple's laptop batteries can be found here.

skarim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2005, 01:24 AM

thanks for the info.

i haven't exposed my battery to any harsh conditions.

it appears that applecare will replace the battery during the second year if it goes below 50%, which seems like it will happen to me fairly shortly. So i think I should be able to get a replacement.

robisconfusedd
Sep 27, 2005, 10:36 AM

thats good that applecare will replace it for you, ive had mine for around that amount of time i think, its been like 2 years, and mines lost relatively 40% of its charging capacity.. im gonna get a third party one when i do replace it

Altair
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 06:48 PM

Where can you get third party batteries and how much do they cost? Mine is at about 55% after 2 years.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

stephanielamb
Sep 27, 2005, 06:57 PM

I know how to check my battery capacity, but how do I know what percentage it is of what it started as?

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Altair
Where can you get third party batteries and how much do they cost? Mine is at about 55% after 2 years.
for your 12PB:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/power...inch-aluminum/

Thats for a 3rd party battery.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 05:28 AM

I have exactly the same problem, loosing about 300-400mAh per month right after 1 year warranty period. It is now down to 854mAh (i.e. ~25% of original capacity). It has only 97 charge cycle. From what I understand, battery is not included in AppleCare after 1st year. I ended up buying a 2nd battery. P.S. I treat my battery nicely.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by phantomo
I have exactly the same problem, loosing about 300-400mAh per month right after 1 year warranty period. It is now down to 854mAh (i.e. ~25% of original capacity). It has only 97 charge cycle. From what I understand, battery is not included in AppleCare after 1st year. I ended up buying a 2nd battery. P.S. I treat my battery nicely.
Mmmmm... my 15" is 18 months old... have tried to calibrate the battery as best I can (also stays plugged in at least 14+ hours a day when I'm asleep yada yada) - and it's stayed at 86% - I suppose I just got lucky... but if the day came when this battery had to be replaced I'd get a 3rd party battery from OWC as some of them have a higher capacity...

Forum Links
Forum Rules