Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Parallels and Windows Update: Macbook Turns OFF!

Parallels and Windows Update: Macbook Turns OFF!
adster
Jul 19, 2006, 02:35 AM

Hey guys. I posted a thread in the Parallels forum but thought getting another opinion might not be bad.

I have a little bit of a problem here. I have just installed Parallels and Windows XP on my new (but 1 month old) MacBook with 2GB of ram. The install went fine but when I try to goto Windows Update, the computer just turns off with no warnings or error messages.

I transfered a 3 gig file into windows and it worked fine, but Windows Update, still turns it off.

I haven't encountered this problem anywhere in Mac OS X or in Windows XP with the exception of Windows Update. And it's not a one time thing, every time I try windows update, the Macbook turns off. Sometimes not immediately, but it will always eventually turn off.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any possible solutions? Are there any logging programs I can run that can see the exact error before it turns off? Heat isn't an issue because the processor stays between 66 and 71 degrees during the whole process.

Altair
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2006, 05:48 AM

Try running the Windows Genuine Advantage outside of windows update. It can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yValidate.aspx. I doubt that it will cause the same problem but I was having a problem with this and windows update yesterday in vmware. At least it's something to try.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 19, 2006, 11:10 AM

As clearly indicated in our forum descriptions, ALL questions pertaining to running Windows (or anything other than Mac OS) on Mac hardware go into the Alternative OS forum here.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules