Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Switching from pc to iMac

Switching from pc to iMac
comicfanatic28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 12:40 PM

Hello everyone! I'm a avid pc user built them for years. Now I'm tired of it. The constant upgrades, software conflicts, and microsoft. I'm looking to get the new iMac when the new os comes out in October. I do like to do video editing and backups of my DVDs. I use nero alot. So my questions are, what programs are good for backing up my DVDs. Making mp3s. I do use a program that will only work on xp or vista. I know imacs can boot windows. What program is good for that? Any other knowledge you can share will be greatly appreciated. I have gone to the apple stores & there input is wonderfull, but i want to hear from actuall people that have owned macs for years! Thanks again!

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 01:31 PM

I switched from PC to Mac a couple of years ago. But, for DVD back ups, I still use a PC laptop I haveAny. The software to do this is also Windows only, and is by far the fastest app for both PC and Mac I've ever come across. Bearing in mind I'm currently still using a G4 PowerBook, which is slow by today's Mac standards. Perhaps other people with newer Macs can recommend something?

Anyhow, I've just ordered the new iMac, and I'm intending to install Windows for this purpose, and a few other things Windows does better for example MSN and Yahoo Messengers. Really, apart from those few things, I'm totally glad I made the switch.
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 01:42 PM

For creating backups of your commercial DVDs, use

DVDImager and Roxio Toast

or

MactheRipper and Roxio Toast

For all other software questions, see this sticky thread http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...n-do-i-use-if/

or do a search of the Applications forum, which is probably the appropriate place to ask further questions on software. Many users don't visit the iMac forum, but have experience with the software issues you might have.

iTunes does mp3s, btw, though there is a LAME encoder port as well, which supposedly gives slightly better mp3 encoding.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crouching Donkey View Post
MSN and Yahoo Messengers.
Try Adium or Trillian.

Alternative for just MSN would be Mercury Messenger or aMSN.

Any of those is better than the crap Microsoft ships.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 01:47 PM

Buy the imac... dont worry about problems you foresee... there will be solutions.

"CD" is right windows does do certain things better.. but i dont think its worth rebooting into $$$$dows just to use MSN.... adium is just about ok

I believe (although not 100pc sure) you can copy cds and dvds using disk utility which is part of Macosx.
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

comicfanatic28  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 02:02 PM

wow, I will make sure I right all this down and do a search, thanks alot! I know I will have to run windows with the mac. The database program I use is xp or vista compatible.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
I believe (although not 100pc sure) you can copy cds and dvds using disk utility which is part of Macosx.
Yes, you can, but Disk Copy will not work with copy-protected (i.e. commercial) DVDs.

Altair
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2007, 05:05 AM

Also you can buy a copy of Parallels or Vmware and install windows in a virtual machine. I use parallels on my desktop when I want to just play around in visual studio and other stuff like that. That should help you to transition to OSX with ease.

I'll second the choice of Adium. It's far better than anything else that I've used.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules