Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Cinema Display ADC M8149

Apple Cinema Display ADC M8149
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2012, 12:41 PM

I found a 22" ADC Cinema display just hanging out in a recycling warehouse's backroom. They have no plans to sell it or do anything with it.

I've got a Core Duo Macbook with mini-DVI and a mini-DVI to DVI adapter. I'm going to need to get a DVI-ADC adapter but my question is, how is the monitor going to be powered? The ADC connector provides USB, Power, and DVI so how is it going to be powered past the adapter? Will USB functionality be lost as well?

edit: wow, talk about jumping the gun. One glance at the picture of the ADC->DVI adapter and my question is answered. thread not needed.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2012, 03:41 AM

So is it on working condition.? Lucky you. !!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2012, 04:10 AM

Except it requires that $100 power supply/adapter.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2012, 06:44 AM

Yeah those damn adaptors are annoying. There is a guy from Honk Kong I think who sometimes sells a ghetto version which lets you splice in a G4 Cube power supply to give you the power. It might work out a lot cheaper if you can pick up the Cube PSU more locally.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2012, 12:50 PM

I'm toying around with the idea of splicing the ACD cable....the dang adapter is around 80 bucks

found some mod instructions:
http://blog.shewu.me/2010/11/hacking...o-display.html
http://lookanotherblog.com/?p=156

looks like this might be a weekend project
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Apr 21, 2012 at 01:58 PM. )

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2012, 03:43 AM

Yea, adapter sells for about $60 used if you can find them around.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2012, 10:23 AM

well, picked up a cheaper adapter without a power cord, got a standard C5 cord and everything works beautifully!

still trying to decide on the best physical placement and which screen to have the menubar/dock on, but I'm loving it. it dwarfs my 17" iMac

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2012, 11:48 AM

So beautiful !!

Ricoche
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2012, 03:36 AM

Hello!

I just picked up the exact same monitor "Apple Cinema 22" Display ADC M8149" for my old Power Mac G4 M7627 466MHz and the Rage 128 Pro AGB that has both ADC and VGA functionality. I plugged the Display into the Mac and I only get a black screen. There is a power light showing on the display button, but no screen. When I reboot, I get a white screen on the Apple Cinema, but then it goes black. The Display didn't come with any software. Also, if I reboot using the display power button and hold the option key, the M8149 will show me the options for booting, but when I pick one, it then goes black again. When I use the VGA connector on the Rage 128, everything works fine. I just can't use the M8149. It's in beautiful shape and it powers on just fine. I can't figure it out, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks very much for any ideas.

Does this sound like an "M8149 LCD Control Board" issue?

Thanks,

Jim

ibook_steve
Jun 21, 2012, 07:32 PM

If the monitor comes on when you hold the option key, that's good. Reboot holding command-option-p-r until you hear the boot chime at least 2 times, then release. This resets the parameter RAM and resets the resolution used by the display.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2012, 03:06 PM

when I first plugged this monitor in, I had to adjust resolutions. for a scary few moments I had the same problem you had: white screen, then black. if the Power Light is pulsating, it can mean certain things depending on the pulses:

Apple LCD displays: Power light flashes

a short, short, short pules indicates the wrong resolution. the KB article advises a PRAM reset, as ibook_steve recommended

Forum Links
Forum Rules