Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Ain't that America?

Ain't that America? (Page 2)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Even with your link, I see no evidence of Reagan using 'Born in the USA' on the campaign trail, nor do I see an incident where Springsteen asked Reagan to not play the song.
How about these?

From www.cnn.com

Sometimes, however, politicians hit a wrong note.

Ronald Reagan, for instance, once referenced the "patriotic" imagery of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A.," a song that is actually a dark essay on the fractured American dream. The Boss was not pleased.
Here's one from your cronies at the National Review

The background to all this is the infamous dispute over Ronald Reagan's use of Springsteen's song, "Born in the USA," during the 1984 presidential campaign. "Born in the USA" was clearly written as a complaint about America's treatment of its working-class heroes. Yet the song's ironic flag waving was taken at face value by the president, and Springsteen has never been able to live it down.
I could find a few thousand more, but I think I've made my point. Now who isn't getting their facts straight, again?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I could find a few thousand more, but I think I've made my point. Now who isn't getting their facts straight, again?
..referenced the "patriotic" imagery of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A.," a song that is actually a dark essay on the fractured American dream."

...Ronald Reagan's use of Springsteen's song, "Born in the USA,"
All of these refer to of Reagan's quoting of the song's lyrics in speech.

Not quite the "Reagan's campaign used Born in the USA as their themesong...before Springsteen got word of it and stopped them" that I was replying to.

I have yet to see something that documents the Reagan campaign using the song as a themesong, or playing the song on the campaign, or Springsteen's requesting of the campaign to stop using the song (as alleged).

Keep searching...here's the criteria:
1. The song was used as the campaign themesong (I'll even take a blaring out of speakers of the song)
2. Springsteen had the campaign stop using the song.

Each is true with the Dole campaign, as I stated. But it seems you really want it to be true for Reagan's campaign as well.

You said you could find a few thousand more sources? Go for it.

Lerkfish
Oct 21, 2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
You confuse me Lerkish. Dunno sometimes if you is with us or against us ( )

One moment you're a Christian fundamentalist and the next you're a liberal democrat.
no, no, no. I've NEVER been a christian fundamentalist. have always been a liberal christian democrat. No need to be confused. My church is pro-choice and liberal.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
All of these refer to of Reagan's quoting of the song's lyrics in speech.

Not quite the "Reagan's campaign used Born in the USA as their themesong...before Springsteen got word of it and stopped them" that I was replying to.

I have yet to see something that documents the Reagan campaign using the song as a themesong, or playing the song on the campaign, or Springsteen's requesting of the campaign to stop using the song (as alleged).

Keep searching...here's the criteria:
1. The song was used as the campaign themesong (I'll even take a blaring out of speakers of the song)
2. Springsteen had the campaign stop using the song.

Each is true with the Dole campaign, as I stated. But it seems you really want it to be true for Reagan's campaign as well.

You said you could find a few thousand more sources? Go for it.
First of all, you are changing what you said. It was your contention that Reagan was already president when the song was released, and couldn't possibly have used it.

Actually, Reagan was already president when Born in the USA was released, and was three months away from the landslide election against Mondale (1984).
But here are few more specific links. I suppose you will now question these sources, but I'm done with this issue. Believe what you want to believe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/260839.stm
His hits include Born To Run and Thunder Road as well as Born In The USA - which was adopted as a patriotic anthem and used by Ronald Reagan in a presidential campaign.
http://trconnection.com/�`todd/ISP.html
The catchy rock anthem is even beginning to impact the 2000 presidential campaign, with Republican candidate George W. Bush appropriating "ISP" for campaign stops much as Ronald Reagan played Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" during appearances in 1984.
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/liv...render?mode=PF
But many people didn't get it. The Reagan White House used the song to introduce President Reagan at political rallies, and Reagan himself mentioned in one speech how admired Springsteen had become. The song's thumping beat and catchy chorus sounded jingoistic if a listener ignored phrases such as: "I had a buddy at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong/They're still there, he's all gone."

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
First of all, both of you obviously never paid a whit of attention to the lyrics of "Little Pink Houses" if you thought it was a 'Redneck anthem', or that it was high on anyone's relevance list in the year 2003.

Ohhhh big deal, some reporter who also didn't know what the song meant heard it playing in Iraq.

And I guess I wouldn't put it past you to think you knew a lot about Australia by misunderstanding 1980's era Midnight Oil lyrics, or thinking you're being even remotely relevant by trashing Paul Hogan movies. That'd be about the same level of 'commentary' as Face Ache generally serves up when dealing with the US of his fantasies.
a) I get the lyrics. I'm sure the reporter gets the lyrics. The hick soldiers trying to piss off Iraqis don't get the lyrics. That's funny.

b) Mellencamp being anti-war is even funnier, hence the thread.

c) Sometimes distance lends perspective.

d) If the US didn't meddle in anyone else's affairs I wouldn't have to have opinions about the US.

e) Am I annoying you? Good.

In other wacky news today, 30 Americans were protesting outside the US Australian embassy over our treatment of the sheep on the MV Cormo Express. Perhaps we should ship those sheep off to Guantanamo Bay and hold them indefinitely, huh?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
]a) I get the lyrics. I'm sure the reporter gets the lyrics.
Ahh, so that's why you didn't realize that JCM has had a consistant message for decades, and that it's hardly up to some dimbulb to 'enlighten' anyone to that fact, and therfore 'ruin' his music?

Riiight. Tell us another one.

You're the one who didn't understand what his music or message was all about, yet you typically try to pawn off your own ignorance onto others.

The hick soldiers trying to piss off Iraqis don't get the lyrics. That's funny.
LOL!

Q:How does one piss off a dumb Aussie?

A: Play a song he doesn't understand with the word "America" in it, in a country halfway around the world from him!

Right, and anyone is supposed to buy that it's some random soldiers whom neither you nor some reporter knows a thing about that are the 'hicks'!

( Last edited by CRASH HARDDRIVE; Oct 21, 2003 at 10:41 PM. )

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 21, 2003, 10:51 PM

hahahah. Misguided aussie.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I have my doubts about Arnold.
Yeah, but he can afford to hire all the real brains he needs.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
as soon as liberals make irrefutable arguments in a too many threads,
There are some here on the left that actually think through a position and make some decent, thought provoking arguments. You and the blunder from down unda would do well to study thier examples now and then.

the conservatives send in the thugs to bust a few heads.
Well, if certain liberal heads weren't so soft, mere words wouldn't bust them!

aint gonna work anymore, kiddo.
Ahh, so you finally bought yourself a helmet eh?

Lerkfish
Oct 22, 2003, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Ahh, so that's why you didn't realize that JCM has had a consistant message for decades, and that it's hardly up to some dimbulb to 'enlighten' anyone to that fact, and therfore 'ruin' his music?

Riiight. Tell us another one.

You're the one who didn't understand what his music or message was all about, yet you typically try to pawn off your own ignorance onto others.

LOL!

Q:How does one piss off a dumb Aussie?

A: Play a song he doesn't understand with the word "America" in it, in a country halfway around the world from him!

Right, and anyone is supposed to buy that it's some random soldiers whom neither you nor some reporter knows a thing about that are the 'hicks'!

um, crash...no offense, but you're becoming really abusive. To the point where the only thing that comes across in your posts is the abuse, and your points are getting lost.
Hey, its your life, but maybe you need to take a breather.

Forum Links
Forum Rules