Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Magazines on e-readers concept

Magazines on e-readers concept
Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2009, 11:26 PM

An interesting prototype/concept of how magazines may look on future e-readers.

Bonnier R&D

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 18, 2009, 12:26 AM

That's a very interesting prototype. If they were able to make one that operated like what they showed in the video I would definitely think about getting one. Their concept is rather close to what a touch tablet might be if it were only made for e-reading. The difference would be that it should be cheaper if it weren't a true tablet but rather a dedicated e-reader. Price would be an issue which is why I haven't really thought about getting e-readers. I can read a year's worth of books for the price of current e-readers.

The thing I really like about this prototype is that it does really feel like a digital version of a magazine but with the benefits of digital features like zooming on sections of texts/sections, etc. I always hated reading magazines online. They either went really basic and have just text or they had "scanned copies" of the magazine without making it user friendly to navigate for online versions.

The other thing I've always liked about digital is that it takes up less storage space. I don't keep all of my magazines but the ones I do are starting to take up too much shelf space. Putting them all on a hard drive would be a great benefit.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 09:15 AM

Cool concept, but unless the Apple tablet is insanely great it would appear that we're far away from a cheap device with that level of quality and functionality. The current e-readers seem quite disappointing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 09:45 AM

Iz big fail. Electronic devices don't like being in steamy bathrooms, where most magazines live.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2009, 12:57 PM

I suppose the only plus to an e-magazine is that they don't have all those annoying subscription cards that fall out.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Iz big fail. Electronic devices don't like being in steamy bathrooms, where most magazines live.
That's not an intractable problem. Most electronic devices aren't supposed to go in steamy bathrooms.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That's not an intractable problem. Most electronic devices aren't supposed to go in steamy bathrooms.
Yeah, but then that makes an electronic magazine almost pointless. At least, it does for me. The only time I read magazines is when I'm on the crapper.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 02:47 PM

What I'm saying is, that's just something you'd need to take into account when you're making this device. I don't think it's impossible; it's just not something that's usually done because it's not normally necessary.
Chuck
___

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2009, 02:48 PM

No, you’re missing his point. It’s not that electronics can’t possibly be made to go in steamy bathrooms. But nobody bothers to make them steamy-bathroom-compatible because they don’t need to go there. If they do need to, you design that in.
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Dec 18, 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Man, I knew someone would post the same thing as me while I was typing!)

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 18, 2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Yeah, but then that makes an electronic magazine almost pointless. At least, it does for me. The only time I read magazines is when I'm on the crapper.
I'm not a crapper reader so it's not a problem for me. I read my magazines on the couch or while I wait for something to get done like waiting for my car to get fixed, etc. That's one of the nice things about a digital reader is that you can load lots of content onto it and when I have a block of free time I'll just read all of them. It usually doesn't take very long for me to read a magazine because not every article is interesting.

I already play games on my cell phone while waiting in long lines so having an e-reader will just give me another option to do something instead of standing there and staring at everything like a weirdo. Also places like doctor's offices never have magazines I'm interested in or they are being read by someone else so that's another place to catch up on my reading.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
How steamy does your crapper get?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
That's because all you ever look at are the pictures.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
How steamy does your crapper get?
In most places, it's by the shower, which tends to steam up the place when it's on.
Chuck
___

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
In most places, it's by the shower, which tends to steam up the place when it's on.
I rarely take a shower when I'm on the crapper. And I rarely read a magazine while showering.
Seriously though, how is that different from taking a laptop with you for some quality reading time. Which, I am sure, we all have done.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2009, 12:37 AM

I think the point is you leave the magazine in there.
Chuck
___

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 20, 2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I suppose the only plus to an e-magazine is that they don't have all those annoying subscription cards that fall out.
No, they'll include a printer in the side of the device, and one you hit a "magic" page, it prints off a subscription card and spits it onto your floor.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No, they'll include a printer in the side of the device, and one you hit a "magic" page, it prints off a subscription card and spits it onto your floor.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules