Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Should blind people be allowed to own a gun?

Should blind people be allowed to own a gun?
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2010, 02:39 PM

If a person is visually impaired to the extent that they qualify for disability benefits (ie, legally blind) should they be permitted to have a gun?

As far as I can tell there is no federal prohibition against this.

Federal law prohibits felons and certain other categories of people from buying or possessing guns. Should visually impaired folks be added to that list?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2010, 02:50 PM

I thought I saw Ray Charles with a gun in "Blues Brothers." He looked like he could shoot pretty good.............................................. .

I don't think there are restrictions on ownership, but being qualified to shoot one is a different story.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2010, 08:18 PM

I'm sure there is very little interest in the blind community for gun ownership. Are you suggesting it would be wise to draft legislation in search of a problem?
ebuddy

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2010, 09:01 PM

Why not? Are you afraid that some blind guy is going to rob you at gunpoint? Being safe to shoot by oneself is a matter that affects anyone who possesses a firearm, but why choose one handicap for your question? Why not ban people with amputations? People with diabetes? People with Attention Deficit Disorder?

If you're going to ban a class of people from doing something, shouldn't there be some realistic and well stated rationale for such a ban?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2010, 11:37 PM

I agree. Time to let blind people start driving cars.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Blind people can OWN cars. The subject is "ownership," not using them "freely and without support or supervision." Further, "blindness" is a very broad description-the term "legally blind" does not in any way mandate that the person is completely without sight; it often describes a person who requires substantial refractive correction, coupled with limited visual fields...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 12:58 PM

Let's see... five seconds worth of Googling reveals several cases of blind people with guns shooting/fending off attackers and burglars.

I can't however find a single case of a blind person robbing anyone with a gun, or shooting random/innocent people.

Can't say as I would have ever given this subject two seconds worth of thought before this thread, but since it was brought up, I'd say the answer is emphatically: YES, absolutely.

finboy
Jun 29, 2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
I think we need to get special permission for blind folks to have sawed-off shotguns, a la Mad Max or Book of Eli.

Get a 12-gauge double coach gun and saw it down to about 18" OAL so they can get a good spread when they pull the trigger. Give them a lifetime supply of 00 buckshot and some lessons in basic safety. Leave the buttstock on if it helps them steady it.

The victim rate on blind folks would go down fast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules