Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Where's the love for the new iPod Square or the under-camera-ed Touch?

Where's the love for the new iPod Square or the under-camera-ed Touch? (Page 2)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ray@SAT View Post
Don't know, but it seems there's a difference in wanting a decent camera than wanting my pod to cook me dinner, OR the orientation of the traffic lights. Maybe it's just me.
True.

Wanting a decent camera is completely gratuitous on a music player, wanting it to cook you dinner has to do with sustenance, which is life-supporting, and the orientation of the traffic lights violates TEN YEARS of established user interface standards.

Of those three, I'd say a dinner has top priority, followed by ten years of user experience.

The camera on the iPod touch is an issue pretty much a week old, and it is a development from having NO CAMERA AT ALL.

I think Apple should have just left it off the iPod completely.

But then, hyteckit is perfect proof that the product differentiation strategy works to their benefit.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2010, 05:15 PM

There are a tri-zillion apps for the touch out there... isn't having everything possible jammed inside the whole object ?
Why not just get an MP3 player, Camera, cell phone, HD Cam, and every other device the touch apps replaces and carry them in a cart behind you all day long ?
Because when I want to take a photo I bring a camera with an optical zoom, image stabilization, better color accuracy, etc...and when I want really good images I bring my SLR. I'm all for gadgets, but I think the lack of a good camera isn't that big of deal...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Ray@SAT
Sep 8, 2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Because when I want to take a photo I bring a camera with an optical zoom, image stabilization, better color accuracy, etc...and when I want really good images I bring my SLR. I'm all for gadgets, but I think the lack of a good camera isn't that big of deal...
Good for you if you like the"top notch" of all the electronics out there. But, I still think having an "All in One Gadget" is what many are looking for.
By the way : A "touch" is not the best music player, it doesn't have the best earplugs, and does not do the best in all categories. Still we all love it for ALL it does.
Camera ? NOT !

Too bad.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2010, 05:42 PM

Apple's product differentiation is pretty brutal: they knew they only needed to put a weak camera in, because enough people would certainly buy it. Those who were disappointed with the camera, would upgrade to the iPhone 4.

But I still feel that the Touch is crippled by the weak camera...and I don't need an iPhone 4. So I'm getting neither.

I very much doubt that Apple will be weeping about the missed sales on its way to the bank. But they could be banking a whole bunch more?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2010, 05:57 PM

Good for you if you like the"top notch" of all the electronics out there. But, I still think having an "All in One Gadget" is what many are looking for.
By the way : A "touch" is not the best music player, it doesn't have the best earplugs, and does not do the best in all categories. Still we all love it for ALL it does.
Camera ? NOT !

Too bad.
Note to all comparing it with an iPhone 4:

The iPhone 4 is $800.

Ray@SAT
Sep 8, 2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Note to all comparing it with an iPhone 4:

The iPhone 4 is $800.
Yep, and like me, others don't need a phone.
It is called an iPHONE, right ?

Ray@SAT
Sep 8, 2010, 06:31 PM

Yep, and like me, others don't need a phone.
It is called an iPHONE, right ?
And, the name i-"POD" has this 'ring' (no pun intended), it's supposed to be "a detachable or self-contained unit" capable of having "particular functions" as its brother vessel (the computer).
Camera ? NOT.

OK, I'm shutting up... for now.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2010, 06:51 PM

What are you talking about?

Ray@SAT
Sep 8, 2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What are you talking about?
Like I said, I'm shutting up.
But : Just for the sake of it. Look up the definition (s) of a "pod".

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2010, 09:19 PM

If you look at how digital cameras work you'll find that there needs to be a fairly significant amount of space between lens and sensor, space that grows with better lenses and more pixels. The iPod is simply too thin to accomodate a more serious camera.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2010, 09:45 PM

Not that it would have hurt Apple to make it thicker. There was nothing wrong with a thicker design like the 1st gen touch.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2010, 10:31 PM

Really?

hyteckit is buying an iPhone instead, which will net Apple easily three or four times what they'd make off an iPod touch.

Everybody else - what are they going to do? Buy a competitor's product? There aren't any. No, seriously: not one.

So what do they do? Wait a bit and then bite the bullet? Does Apple care whether they sell you one now or next year?
Well, I already bought an iPhone 4 yesterday.

I need a good camera and GPS. Since the iPod Touch lacks in that department, it's iPhone 4 for me.

Too many mobile apps rely on GPS these days. Not just for navigation. But running and biking apps. Social networking apps and so forth. And location base photography. Know where you taken the photo is a cool feature.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 01:42 AM

So Apple makes a product that does all you need, at a price you're willing to pay?

What are you complaining about? That they won't sell you an $800-device for $250?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 10:33 AM

So Apple makes a product that does all you need, at a price you're willing to pay?

What are you complaining about? That they won't sell you an $800-device for $250?
Haha... you are a funny character.

The iPod Touch can use a GPS and a better camera.

Oh no, let's pretend the iPod Touch is perfect for everyone and there should be no complaints.

My next complaint. Current Macs with a built-in iSight should support facetime.

What you going to say? Get the new iPod Touch or iPhone 4 if I want facetime and stop complaining?

Are you going to write to every iPod Touch review and ask the reviewer to stop complaining about the lack of GPS and low-end camera?

Haha...

The complaints about the new iPod Touch are legitimate complaints.

No one is asking Apple to sell the iPod Touch for $100 or that the iPod Touch should cook and drive us to school.

Seriously. I you don't like complaints, don't bother reading them.

And the iPhone is a $600 device, not $800.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Sep 9, 2010 at 10:42 AM. )

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2010, 12:08 PM

Anybody here remember when Porsche cynically put a 4-cylinder VW motor in the Porsche 914? In essence, you could have the cachet of owning and displaying yourself in a Porsche, but with a motor that might belong in a VW bug.

Doesn't that smack of contempt for their customers? "You are so enthralled by our glorious Porsche that we could even sell you a Porsche with bicycle pedals! It would look great in your driveway!"

I kinda feel that way about some of Apple's offerings.

But of course the Stockholm syndrome says we shouldn't complain about anything...we really should feel eternally grateful that we have been allowed to own Apple products!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 12:39 PM

Okay, I won't complain about the new iPod Touch.

Here's what I hope the next iPod Touch would have.

A GPS. A better camera.

I wonder if that still considered a complaint. Haha...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 01:20 PM

The new Shuffle, Nano and Touch DO NOT come with the headphones with the built in remote.

Guh? Seriously?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2010, 01:21 PM

Not surprised.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Haha... you are a funny character.

The iPod Touch can use a GPS and a better camera.

Oh no, let's pretend the iPod Touch is perfect for everyone and there should be no complaints.

you're misunderstanding me:

It's not perfect for everyone, and if it tried, it would look like Homer's car or Microsoft Windows.

It's perfect FOR APPLE.

The functions attract tons of people, and the price is kept at a level - by reducing the quality of the screen and of the camera, omitting GPS and headphone remote - that appeals to a large market segment.

Thos unhappy with the feature set will most often opt for the iPhone instead, making Apple EVEN MORE money.

The iPod touch, by virtue of its faults, just netted Apple a clean $500 more income (is the iPhone 4 really only $600 off-contract? Cheapest here in Europe is almost €700).

My next complaint. Current Macs with a built-in iSight should support facetime.
agreed. And that's going to happen, because it won't cost Apple any profit and will increase the installed userbase for a prime function of their iOS devices.

What you going to say? Get the new iPod Touch or iPhone 4 if I want facetime and stop complaining?
No. You say Apple should change this or change that to please you.

I say Apple change things in their own best interest.

You seem to think I believe Apple's products are without fault.

I don't.
I think they make great products, and some of them (not many) match my needs well enough that I actually own them.

It's their BUSINESS SENSE, not their products, that I'm talking about.

You were hoping for an iPod touch to replace your iPhone. Apple weren't stupid enough to give it to you. You bought another iPhone instead (sucker ).

Apple obviously do well enough to keep you buying.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The new Shuffle, Nano and Touch DO NOT come with the headphones with the built in remote.

Guh? Seriously?
I AM surprised by that.

Anything to keep costs down, I suppose.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2010, 04:09 PM

Omitting the headset with the Touch: More disrespect from Apple.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2010, 04:14 PM

from the ilounge.com review of the Touch:

"Still photography is a completely different story—one embarrassing enough for the iPod touch that Apple barely acknowledges that the device is even capable of the feat. Whereas the iPhone 4 camera captures 2592x1936-pixel images that are very close in quality to the results you’d get from a low-end point-and-shoot camera, the iPod touch camera snaps 960x720 still images that look like comparatively blurry screen grabs from a toy. As mere crops of the 1280x720 video images, missing detail on the left and right sides, the iPod touch’s pictures are less than half the resolution of ones taken by the original iPhone. Because Apple used a rear-illuminated sensor in the iPod touch, it is able to rival the first iPhone and iPhone 3GS in generating all but unusable images in dark lighting conditions; that said, the iPhone 4 does better even without assistance from its integrated LED flash. "

Reviews: Apple iPod touch (Fourth-Generation) | iLounge

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 04:39 PM

Yes, that was to be expected.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2010, 01:47 PM

iPod touch
New iPods: The unanswered questions | MP3 Players | Playlist | Macworld
Q. Does the iPad Camera Connection Kit work with the iPod touch?

A: It works to this extent: When you attach the USB dongle to the iPad and string the dock connector cable between the iPod touch and iPad, the iPad will see and copy images from the iPod touch. (So, it works the same way as it does with the iPhone 4.) However, you can’t copy images from your camera to the iPod touch via the camera connector.

-Ah, most wonderful: you can now transfer your .7 MP photos to the iPad, where they show all their glory on the larger screen!

andi*pandi
Sep 10, 2010, 04:54 PM

I actually like the new nano, but then, I never had an old nano to compare it to. It does seem like a grownup shuffle, with the clip and all.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2010, 12:03 PM

Well, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is being featured at the Berlin IFA 2010. A 7" tablet running Android 2.2 with a 3 MP rear cam and a 1.3 MP front cam. "Enthusiast sites have speculated that the device could be subsidized to between $200 and $400 through service providers with mobile contracts." Price if not subsidized: $1015 (amazon Germany.)

Ipad, a Wave of Android Tablets Are Gunning for You - PCWorld

Price, price, price...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2010, 12:37 PM

^ Wrong thread?

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2010, 03:00 PM

Im happy they omitted the earbuds w/ controls on them as Apple's earbuds suck and get tossed immediately. Hate to waste money on those POS earbuds...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2010, 03:18 PM

I'm not the only one I know that actually likes them.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2010, 10:21 PM

I like mine too.

Maybe I'd feel differently if there were stock in-ear headphones which fit me.

I'm seriously contemplating getting fitted for custom ones. One of the things keeping me back is the dog is notorious for noshing on in-ear headphones. She's murdered two Apple ones and three Shure ones.

Don't put your bag on the floor, she'll dig them out.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2010, 11:56 PM

Off topic, but the new iPods just came out, but this forum is totally dead. Maybe I should stay in the Lounge.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2010, 10:38 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

OreoCookie
Sep 27, 2010, 11:02 AM

I have received my 32 GB iPod touch and I love it a lot more than I thought I would. I didn't like the format of the new iPod nano (the amount of information displayable on that screen is far too little).

The fact that it doubles as a remote for my Mac (music + video) is worth it alone. I've wasted ~400 € a few years ago trying to build a multimedia pc with a touch screen. Now I have what I exactly want in my pocket!
Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
And here we are back to form over function.
I don't think what you're saying is correct: the iPod touch's function is that of a multimedia device (music + video), a gaming device and a mobile internet device. Being a camera is towards the bottom of the list of priorities. And for most people, a thinner and lighter device is better than a device that can also do (crappy) photos.

I don't care about the camera primarily because my iPod touch is not a camera The only thing I'd have liked to see is a built-in GPS receiver so that I could geotag my photos more easily. No biggie, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules