Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do deaf people make a lot of noise?

Do deaf people make a lot of noise?
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2011, 10:46 PM

I'm looking at a place that is across the street from a playground and ball field which is part of a k-12 school for the deaf.

Typically I would not consider this location since I tend to be bothered by the screams/shouts/general noises of kids playing.

But, I'm wondering if this situation might be different.

Any one have any insight on this?n

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2011, 11:12 PM

Sorta like the old "If a tree falls and there's no-one around..."

I would think there will be less shouting with deaf kids, but not zero shouting. Best bet is to wander past during break time (Recess if you are of that persuasion, which I assume you are since you mentioned K-12) and check for yourself. Careful with that though, don't want to get caught staring at kids in a playground.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2011, 11:36 PM

No more noise than any other K-12 kids.

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2011, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No more noise than any other K-12 kids.
Less?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2011, 11:45 PM

I had a similar issue when I moved next to a school for blind kids and had to move because I was bothered by their mismatched clothes.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2011, 02:32 AM

What?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2011, 03:35 AM

So deaf = loss of hearing. If you moved next to a school for Mutes, then you'd probably get the type of atmosphere that you're looking for.

Get my point?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2011, 03:50 AM

I would think it would be much more quiet.

But, yeah, don't go by there and stare at them, and for gods' sake don't ask the teacher if deaf kids make less noise. You'll get arrested, and that would really suck.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I had a similar issue when I moved next to a school for blind kids and had to move because I was bothered by their mismatched clothes.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I would think it would be much more quiet.

But, yeah, don't go by there and stare at them, and for gods' sake don't ask the teacher if deaf kids make less noise. You'll get arrested, and that would really suck.

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 10, 2011, 07:19 AM

On a realistic level, in my experience, deaf people are not as likely to be "verbally" loud as hearing people. That doesn't mean they are silent. A school for deaf kids would likeli be a lot quieter than a school for similar-aged hearing kids, especially with the younger kids; 3rd through 6th grade kids seem to be the loudest age groups, with most of the noise being related to verbal communication. They shout and shriek as part of their play. Obviously non-hearing kids won't be shouting at each other, so you can expect less noise from them in that area. You'll also probably note there are fewer kids at the school than at a typical school, which will help keep the noise down.

But remember, they probably will be filling the school with students who have "impaired" hearing, which means that some of the kids will be completely deaf and others will be "less deaf". Food for thought...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2011, 06:35 AM

Look on the bright side - less people to whine at your 11.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules