Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > App to create and merge pdfs

App to create and merge pdfs
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Feb 12, 2012, 11:35 AM

Hello all,

I just got a MacAir, and I'm trying to find a pdf creator which can merge files. Paid and free would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2012, 11:43 AM

My personal choice: PDFPen. it's one app there's is apparently no equivalent to on Windows, which is why for serious PDF work I require a Mac OS X environment.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2012, 11:48 AM

Thanks so much - I'll try it.

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2012, 11:53 AM

It looks like overkill really as I create my docs, and never have to alter them. No sense in paying for something I'll only use 5% of. Nice program though.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2012, 12:02 PM

You can create PDFs from anywhere by hitting print -> Save as PDF.
You can merge PDFs using Preview or Automator:

How To Combine PDF Files in Mac OSX Using Automator To Make A Service | Tips To Learn How To Go Paperless | DocumentSnap Paperless Blog
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2012, 12:02 PM

if you just need to reorder pages you can use CombinePDFs (free). I thought you needed more editing abilities. You can also use Services to a degree (but output may not match what you want unless you're lucky or good with Automator). I've found Preview least capable when it comes to PDF editing. I've tried it to reorder pages, and it looks fine in Preview but others apps don't view it properly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2012, 12:03 PM

Not really - just take two or three Word docs, merge and send. Thanks again.

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2012, 02:44 PM

Print as PDF from any app able to open and print whatever document, merge and reorder in Preview.

Free and already installed.

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2012, 02:55 PM

You don't need any app, just Preview and the Print dialog will get the job done:
(1) Create pdfs of your documents using the Print dialog (there is a save as pdf button in the lower-left).
(2) Open one of the pdfs (preferably the one you want to appear on the first few pages of the combined pdf document).
(3) Select View > Thumbnails from the menu (or click in the appropriate item in the menu bar).
(4) Open the other two apps and also select thumbnail view. Then select the pages from Document 2 and drag & drop them after the last page of the first document. Don't worry if you miss the target, you can reorder the pages at will.
(5) Repeat step 4 with any of the other document(s) you may have.
(6) Either select save a version (which »overwrites« document 1) or use the Print dialog to save another pdf.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2012, 03:55 PM

I agree. Use Preview.

andi*pandi
Feb 16, 2012, 12:55 PM

Hmm, didn't know preview could do that, I've always used Acrobat to merge PDFs. Nifty!

Thorzdad
Feb 16, 2012, 01:37 PM

Me neither. That's pretty handy.
I just did a quick experiment by opening an existing PDF and simply re-saving it in Preview. The file size jumped from 877K in the original to 1.2MB in the Preview copy. This might be because Preview saves as a PDF1.4 file (the original was a PDF1.5 file) Preview DID seem to save it in the original color space (it was a CMYK file for print). I was surprised to see Preview preserved the embedded CMYK color profile information. Not sure why that surprised me.

Cold Warrior
Feb 16, 2012, 08:17 PM

Preview has done this since 10.6 I think. It's a very handy feature, I use it all the time, especially if I fill out some forms or write a letter, then I can take scans, diagrams, or whatever and just drop them in as additional pages and enclosures. It's great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules