Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Your City Happy?

Is Your City Happy?
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2014, 02:10 AM

We know that each region has its own reputation and culture, but do you find your own to be noticeably happy or unhappy? Primary factors must include overcrowding and/or economic depression, but are there other issues that affect the general mood? Cultural? Political?

In all honesty, half the reason for this post is that I wanted to brag on my state, and more specifically, my area (Shreveport/Bossier City). In a survey conducted by The U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research, the top-5 happiest cities in the United States are in Louisiana, with a sixth checking in at #8:

So, do you think your region is noticeably happy or unhappy? Do you doubt the findings in this research? Why are Cajuns so happy?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2014, 03:05 AM

pretty happy
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

akent35
Banned
Aug 17, 2014, 01:34 PM

Real happy up here in God's country, the Pacific Northwest, near Seattle, WA. Air is so, so clean, no pollution, pleasant weather, and the surrounding countryside and associated views are just awesome! Only seen one place prettier: Lake Tahoe, Nevada/California. But, that place is not near an ocean.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 17, 2014, 01:54 PM

Hey, great. Northern Virginia is surrounded by pissiness. Seems right.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2014, 02:21 PM

Seems weird that the West Coast is not covered at all in any of the top 10.

I lived a few years close to South Bend, IN. I'm not sure why it would be the third unhappiest city in the US.
I'm 150% sure there are many worse places in the US.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2014, 02:31 PM

Despite what the numbers say, something tells me I'd be happier in NYC than I would be in Detroit.

Thorzdad
Aug 17, 2014, 03:45 PM

Indiana comes through with THREE of the 10 most unhappy cities!
I understand Gary, but I'm scratching my head about South Bend and Evansville.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2014, 12:19 AM

And South Bend to be WORSE than Gary is just a complete joke.

-t

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2014, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Despite what the numbers say, something tells me I'd be happier in NYC than I would be in Detroit.
Maybe coke is cheaper in Detroit?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 18, 2014, 03:12 AM

Perhaps the poll was taken last winter. That doesn't explain Rochester, but everything else would make sense.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2014, 09:52 AM

DC just plain SUCKS!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
DC just plain SUCKS!
Depends. If you are part of the government elite, you are the one doing the sucking, and you should be living the high life.

Everyone else is getting sucked dry.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 18, 2014, 01:32 PM

I need to see the receipts. LA dominating the list after getting pummeled by Katrina (Wow, was that a decade ago) makes me think either its nuts, or its some kind of god-thing going on, in which case the people are nuts (but then you'd think Utah would be in the running)

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2014, 01:32 PM

I asked a friend who lives in DC if the character of the city changed based on who's president.

He said "when the Republicans are in power, there are a lot more fur coats".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I asked a friend who lives in DC if the character of the city changed based on who's president.

He said "when the Republicans are in power, there are a lot more fur coats".
Meakes sense, because there's less hot air

-t

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2014, 02:12 PM

Less emotion driven theatrics too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 18, 2014, 02:21 PM

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I need to see the receipts. LA dominating the list after getting pummeled by Katrina (Wow, was that a decade ago) makes me think either its nuts, or its some kind of god-thing going on, in which case the people are nuts (but then you'd think Utah would be in the running)
You sir are correct. I guess. It's either willful ignorance/wishful thinking or outright brain damage from the levels of benzene being pumped into the air. I'm not joking. Check out the view from the state capitol. Breathtaking.

More

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2014, 04:25 PM

That picture elicits the scent of farts in my mind.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2014, 06:00 PM

"You shouldn't be this happy, we didn't socially engineer it. Obviously there's something wrong with you."

Most of it has to do with the vast majority of major cities being overcrowded s***holes. When you pack people together like rats you bring out their worst traits.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That picture elicits the scent of farts in my mind.
Actually, that smells substantially worse than even particularly vile farts.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 19, 2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
"You shouldn't be this happy, we didn't socially engineer it. Obviously there's something wrong with you."
There's obviously some commonality if one region is dominating the list.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2014, 12:02 PM

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of these cities have, over the past few years, been included in several lists of the most "recession-proof" cities in America (one such article). Louisiana was never really hit by the recession. Actually, our area has been booming over the past decade, and property values are skyrocketing.

A quick note about Lafayette: the city basically took several years to install fiber throughout the area, and now offer ridiculous speeds at below-average prices. It created a boom of sorts in the city, and is beginning to be emulated by other Louisiana city governments.

I wasn't surprised by the results of the poll. Every state has its quirks, and some are known for their unique culture (Texas, Florida, California, etc), but Louisiana has some of the most incredible food and friendliest people. I've traveled to over twenty states during the past two years, and despite the heat/humidity, there's a communal (and yes, religious) vibe to much of the state that is infectious. The people seem happier.

But if you're judging Louisiana by Swamp People and Billy the Exterminator, then your perception of the state from afar is skewed. I'd strongly encourage a visit to New Orleans.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Here's the little secret about post-Katrina New Orleans: it's actually a much safer, cleaner, healthier city since it was nearly wiped out. I went the year before Katrina, and have been every year since. It's like Katrina washed away the urine and trash from the streets. The entire French Quarter was not only restored, but improved since the storm.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
You sir are correct. I guess. It's either willful ignorance/wishful thinking or outright brain damage from the levels of benzene being pumped into the air. I'm not joking. Check out the view from the state capitol. Breathtaking.
Then you turn around and face the other way:

( Last edited by Jawbone54; Aug 19, 2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Resize)

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2014, 01:16 PM

Holy shit! It's a whiteout!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence that most of these cities have, over the past few years, been included in several lists of the most "recession-proof" cities in America (one such article). Louisiana was never really hit by the recession. Actually, our area has been booming over the past decade, and property values are skyrocketing.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2014, 01:43 PM

Exactly.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2014, 01:59 PM

Terrific - I live in the least happiest place in the US NY frickin CIty! NO SHIT.

It's because the stupid tourists block the sidewalks and clog up the subways, and quite frequently walk in wide groups of 5 or more, totally disrupting the natural flow of pedestrian traffic - then they frickin stop - for no apparent reason, causing rows of us busy hard working NYers to pile into each other. GO HOME

no seriously, the city can suck at times, but I wouldn't want to live in any other place in the world (for long, that is - I always come home.) I do like the country though, but after a few days my lungs gag and I find myself seeking pollution, I must be addicted.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2014, 02:11 PM

Here, when it comes to blocking the sidewalks and clogging the subway, I can usually count on locals.

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2014, 05:31 PM

A quick note about Lafayette: the city basically took several years to install fiber throughout the area, and now offer ridiculous speeds at below-average prices. It created a boom of sorts in the city, and is beginning to be emulated by other Louisiana city governments.

Here's the little secret about post-Katrina New Orleans: it's actually a much safer, cleaner, healthier city since it was nearly wiped out. I went the year before Katrina, and have been every year since. It's like Katrina washed away the urine and trash from the streets. The entire French Quarter was not only restored, but improved since the storm.
Got no beef with most of what you said. It's subjective and everyone's entitled to their own opinions. I'm glad people report that they're happy. That being said, N.O. being "safer" is missing some context. Outside of the quarter, it's a freaking war zone at times. I've witnessed a stream of doe-eyed hipster kids streaming into the city for a long ass time. Their perspective gets realigned pretty damn quick once they "explore". Hell, even the CBD is having it's fair share of bullshit to deal with. There is TONS going on though. Lots of money, lots of investment and some seriously awesome opportunities abound. But it sure as shit isn't what I would call safe. That and the cops are corrupt as all ****.

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2014, 05:35 PM

Then you turn around and face the other way:

I know. You can see my office from that shot

The building and grounds are nice, but c'mon. That water is so polluted that bodies dissolve before they hit bottom. And the best way to describe the smell is to imagine if a Transformer ate nothing but beef jerky for a month and dropped a massive dook.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Excellent reference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules