Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Weekend at Stan Lee’s: Captain Marvel

Weekend at Stan Lee’s: Captain Marvel
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2019, 01:31 PM

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2019, 01:40 PM

This also marked the first Marvel premiere without the presence of the unforgettable Stan Lee. Without revealing any spoilers, let’s just say that a special tribute was paid to the unparalleled impact that Stan has left on all Marvel films, proving his legacy is still ever-present. The moment dedicated to Stan was met with thunderous applause and cheers throughout the Dolby Theater.
Torn between seeing this this weekend and also seeing the latest dragon movie.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2019, 02:10 PM

I admit, I find the goobergator style drama surrounding the movie way more entertaining than I’d probably find the movie itself.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 7, 2019, 04:55 PM

Does Twitter allow recording tweets in advance? I'm wondering about those Stan Lee tweets. Which twitter verifies as really him.

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2019, 05:10 PM

Someone is running his account and probably always did.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2019, 01:04 AM

I read that as “ruining”, which also works.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2019, 05:36 AM

Can't believe how much hate is flying for this movie.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 8, 2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Does Twitter allow recording tweets in advance? I'm wondering about those Stan Lee tweets. Which twitter verifies as really him.
I'm assuming tweets are scheduled to auto-post in advance. Whether or not they intended for this one to still go out, though, I'm not sure.

andi*pandi
Mar 8, 2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Can't believe how much hate is flying for this movie.
A lot of broflakes are spamming rotten tomatoes with bad reviews without even seeing it yet.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 8, 2019, 03:51 PM

At this point it's been politicized, like the new Ghostbusters movie. It might legitimately be bad, but any criticism of it will be seen as disingenuous partisan anti-feminist spamming. And any support of it will be seen as SJWs over-reacting to the hate and supporting it not because it's good or well-made, but because they want to support a political cause.

Can everybody just STFU and eat popcorn and watch movies?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2019, 03:59 PM

Well, it is at least a little ironic that the corporate mouse overlord has a frothing, wind-up, commie army acting as its enforcers.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2019, 05:44 PM

In sort of related news I watched Ant Man and The Wasp with the missus and really enjoyed it. Good tone and pacing to the movie, no too long, genuinely made me chuckle a few times...what else can you ask for?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2019, 06:02 PM

While I’m not going to get even the slightest bit bent out of shape for not receiving it, what I’d ask for is more stuff like Deadpool and Logan.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2019, 06:04 PM

Logan was kind of a little too violent for me TBH, not that I don't enjoy a gritty-ass violent movie, it just didn't feel right.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2019, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Logan was kind of a little too violent for me TBH, not that I don't enjoy a gritty-ass violent movie, it just didn't feel right.
It took me ages to watch Logan but when I eventually did I was glad I had. Pretty much what a superhero movie would be if it was a proper grown up (as opposed to gag/sex/fart references a la Deadpool) movie.

A fabulous end to the Wolverine saga. It actually left an impression.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I should admit I’m neither a Marvel person, or a superhero comics person for that matter, so I’m not invested in the property enough to have an opinion on how it should feel.

What I liked about it is it took what would happen if a person had knives for fists to its natural conclusion.

That conclusion’s gonna be a gory one.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 8, 2019, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
A lot of broflakes are spamming rotten tomatoes with bad reviews without even seeing it yet.
I cannot speak for reviews. But Rotten Tomatoes removed the "want to see" poll - a user vote before a movie comes out. The want-to-see poll gets completely replaced with actual audience votes after a movie opens.

But a movie with a large budget was polling too low before opening. So RT changed it. Now you can vote for a movie, but not against. Now all movies get positive scores before release. Kind of like elections with a single candidate for each office.

Except your cannot return the product if it sucks. Unlike cars, you do not get to test-drive a movie. You have to pay to see it. If you don't like it, they already have your money. Polls (and even comments) allow people to tell each other why they should (or should not) pay to see a movie.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2019, 09:09 AM

And if everyone is acting in good faith, that works well. In this case, they weren't.

andi*pandi
Mar 12, 2019, 07:54 AM

Saw it on Sunday, enjoyed it a lot. It was the first marvel I'd actually read the comic for, so the plot change was a surprise - not sure if the other would have been better, per se... We debated whether the "twist" was really that. Annette Bening and Jude Law are excellent. Supporting cast excellent. A few too many freeze frame slo mo shots. Crowd laughed together at 90s references. I totally called the Radio Shack.

Also totally called the second after credit scene. Right before it came on screen, I said, you know, it's gonna be this doing that. Laughed so hard being right.

Somehow despite all the bros boycotting this calling it Captain Menstrual and Captain Period, hardly any product placement at all by Tampax or Always!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2019, 06:32 PM

I thought she was really likeable in the movie but it made me wonder if they cut the trailers on purpose to hide her character. After all theres no such thing as bad PR right?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2019, 07:12 PM

I don’t think this is that outrageous a statement, but I’ve grown to hate trailers.

I haven’t seen any trailers for Captain Marvel, but I did give in and see one of the Captain Marvel trailers.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2019, 09:17 AM

wat

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2019, 12:09 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2019, 01:04 PM

Is that a really tall The Flash?

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2019, 01:19 PM

To be fair, I will totally see shazam too. Zachary Levi is adorable.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
To be fair, I will totally see shazam too. Zachary Levi is adorable.
From what I saw, if I had kids, I wouldn’t mind getting dragged to it.

Though, if we’re going to cross the movie Big with something, I’d pick Groundhog Day.

In fact, pretty much anything can be improved by crossing it with Groundhog Day. Even Tom Cruise.

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2019, 01:56 PM

Then you'll love Russian Doll.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2019, 01:59 PM

Has potential.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 13, 2019, 02:25 PM

re: crosses with Groundhog Day. I liked Happy Death Day more than Russian Doll.

Odd that two homages came out around the same time. Coincidence as far as I know though.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Is that a really tall The Flash?
That’s Kazaam.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2019, 12:49 PM

For the one person who may not have heard me tell this story already, Starsky, from Starsky and Hutch, had both his wife and kid die in rapid succession, so his Hollywood friends banded together to land him a directing job.

It was meant to help distract him, but more importantly, the project had “heart”, and everyone felt this “heart” would positively channel his emotions. Give him something to believe in again.

The project? Kazaam.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 14, 2019 at 03:38 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2019, 09:17 PM

I got to see Captain Marvel this evening. I loved it. I have lots of questions. Mostly about "what happened after Carol took off and before Infinity War?" And I thought they did a great job making some characters look "like they did then."

Gotta process.... It took me a long time to get my head around Infinity War. I don't know how long it'll take me to figure out all of what I saw and what I think about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Mar 15, 2019, 10:22 PM

How full was your theater?

Youtube and twitter are hosting reports of half-empty theaters (or less). And theater managers who say many prepaid tickets didn't show. The suspicion is that Disney bought up the unsold seats during the first few days as a marketing move.

Be nice to have eyewitness reports from people we know.

andi*pandi
Mar 16, 2019, 04:22 PM

It was full large theater (10x15rows)when I saw it, and I tried to buy tickets for saturday and they were sold out so had to get sunday.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 16, 2019, 06:38 PM

I saw it at an Alamo Drafthouse. They had several smallish auditoriums showing Captain Marvel, which let them have staggered start times. Our seating was pretty full.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Mar 17, 2019, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
How full was your theater?

Youtube and twitter are hosting reports of half-empty theaters (or less). And theater managers who say many prepaid tickets didn't show. The suspicion is that Disney bought up the unsold seats during the first few days as a marketing move.

Be nice to have eyewitness reports from people we know.
Twitter and YouTube comments look to be about as correct as they usually are. If Disney had done that, the second weekend would have dropped precipitously. It didn’t - down 54.8% is a hair better than the average drop for a Marvel movie (-56%)

(No personal experience, as I haven’t seen the movie myself)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 17, 2019, 08:26 PM

No personal experience here either. I always wait for the blu-ray/DVD release. Why pay to see a movie a few months early? Just wait, pay about the same amount, and you get to keep it.

I'm one of those people who enjoys re-reading favorite books. For someone who only enjoys reading (or seeing) something one time, go for the movie. Waiting would convey no benefit.

andi*pandi
Mar 17, 2019, 09:32 PM

For some movies my couch and waiting is fine, but I do enjoy a) seeing special effects movies on a big big screen, and b) being able to avoid spoilers.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2019, 11:17 PM

The switch away from general admission and sardine seating (for me) makes going to a movie an enjoyable thing in itself.

If it was still the way it was 20 years ago, no friggin way.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2019, 07:38 PM

I had a screen to myself but then it was 3pm on a Thursday afternoon. Not rare, even for new movies. Disney buying tickets is BS. Just typical right wing conspiracy crap. The broflakes are sad because they aren't getting their way for the first time ever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules