Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The New Power Mac Picture Thread

The New Power Mac Picture Thread (Page 9)
jebjeb
Senior User
Dec 29, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by trevorM
Sounds like I am going to have to jump out and give the 70-200mm F4 a go.

I'd like to go full frame too, but the price of the 5D in Australia is a little too steep (sigh).
Yeah, the 70-200 F4 is great. It's not to heavy either which makes it a whole lot more usable. I have lugged a 70-200 F2.8 IS around for a few hours and you really feel it. That;s one of the reasons I am so happy with my F4 gear. When I'm travelling, I can get the 10D, grip, all the lenses and my PowerBook into a Mini Trekker backpack and it doesn't way too much.

The beauty of buying the Canon L lenses is that their resale is very good. If you needed to cash in on them some time in the future, you will get most of your money back.

I am a Canon man through and through, which makes it even more annoying that Nikon has released such a good body like the D200. Great specs (except it is not full frame) and a great price. If I do buy anything, it will be in March/April 06 so maybe the 5D will have dropped in price. It would be nice to jump up from 3 FPS to something like 5 but at least the buffer is much better than the 10D. When doing weddings, I have missed the odd shot due to a full and slow clearing buffer.

sauria
Dec 30, 2005, 03:25 PM

G5man
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 06:42 PM

Is that the Quadro FX 4500? That card is HUGE!
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

sauria
Dec 30, 2005, 06:45 PM

My last post is the 7800GT in a Quad

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by G5man
Is that the Quadro FX 4500? That card is HUGE!

sick
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
sick
Nope. That's the 7800GT.
The Quadro's coolers would occupy the adjacent slot.

voo
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 01:25 PM

The Quadro looks a beast, infact it uses the same HSF as the PC GTX512.

G5man
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 02:17 PM

Yikes that is Bigger than the 6800 Ultra!

jebjeb
Senior User
Dec 31, 2005, 02:33 PM

Ey Curumba! At least it has a decent size fan on it which might not be as noisy as the tiny little one on the 7800GT.

sauria
Dec 31, 2005, 03:16 PM

Something that needs a 1 KW PSU.

voo
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by G5man
Yikes that is Bigger than the 6800 Ultra!
heh height yes, length no. 7800 is exactly same length as the 6800 :o

I don't know what it is with NVIDIA in making such insanely massive cards... I mean look at these NVIDIA Quad GPU SLI anyone?

A Power Unit specifically for each card, nuclear power plants in your home no? :o

Jason
Jan 1, 2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by monyx
With $AUD 1700 in my pocket compared to 2x 23" ACD...I'll 'make do' with my plastic framed LCDs thanks - unfortunately we aren't all on unlimted, aesthetically driven budgets!
Giday Monyx, those dual dells look mighty nice! I'm looking into purchasing a PowerMac 2.3, however im not sure what way to go in regards to the monitor. I've been told that the Dell monitors are the way to go if you are on a budget, and obviously if you aren't then the apple monitors look and perform great.

Although you said that you have saved $1700 through purchasing both monitors compared to the 23" apple monitors, how did you save that much? did you get some sort of discount or am i looking at the wrong pricing?

Dells 24" - $1799 x 2 = 3598

Apples 23" - $2099 x 2 = 4198

difference - $600

Dells 20" wide - $1299 x 2 = 2598

Apples 20" - $1249 x 2 = 2498

difference - $100

Well, while getting prices, ive found that the apple 20" monitors are $50 (AU) cheaper, so if i was going to get the 20" i would go with the apple, before hand i thought the dell monitors would have been cheaper.

Also Monyx, I'm not trying to prove you wrong or try to 'clown' you or anything, im just curious because if you saved that much i would also be keen for a bit of a saving! Anyway have a good one mate.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 1, 2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jason
Giday Monyx, those dual dells look mighty nice! I'm looking into purchasing a PowerMac 2.3, however im not sure what way to go in regards to the monitor. I've been told that the Dell monitors are the way to go if you are on a budget, and obviously if you aren't then the apple monitors look and perform great.

Although you said that you have saved $1700 through purchasing both monitors compared to the 23" apple monitors, how did you save that much? did you get some sort of discount or am i looking at the wrong pricing?

Dells 24" - $1799 x 2 = 3598

Apples 23" - $2099 x 2 = 4198

difference - $600

Dells 20" wide - $1299 x 2 = 2598

Apples 20" - $1249 x 2 = 2498

difference - $100

Well, while getting prices, ive found that the apple 20" monitors are $50 (AU) cheaper, so if i was going to get the 20" i would go with the apple, before hand i thought the dell monitors would have been cheaper.

Also Monyx, I'm not trying to prove you wrong or try to 'clown' you or anything, im just curious because if you saved that much i would also be keen for a bit of a saving! Anyway have a good one mate.
Might be worth looking at the Formac Raven 20". I have one (see my post on the last page). They are not widescreen but are 1600x1200 and only cost AU$1195. Personally, they are a much better decision than a 20" 1680x1050 widescreen as they are about the same price as a Dell or Belina one but have a better panel and more total pixels.

If you are keen on widescreen, we should be hearing about Dell's new range of displays later this week.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 09:45 AM

Although you said that you have saved $1700 through purchasing both monitors compared to the 23" apple monitors, how did you save that much? did you get some sort of discount or am i looking at the wrong pricing?.

While your math would be correct if people were paying retail for the Dell monitors, nobody - and I mean nobody - ever pays retail for Dell products. Its not uncommon to find the 24" Dell monitors for US$800 each.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2006, 06:12 PM

I have had many problems with any Dell displays.

It all started back in 1997, when I had a Dell CRT at my office, the monitor was only 6 months old when I begun to experience problems, the thing would forget all of my display settings, and it wasn't my card or my machine, I tried it on 3 other computers, including 1 Mac. This monitor shorted after 6 months of crap after being only 1 year old.

Having experienced that, I bought a NEC CRT and it has been working fine since then.

Then there was the F-701p, my first flat panel, which was a Dell. I got it in 2001, and it was great, for the 1st year, then it did this thing where it would just turn off by itself and you would have to reach down and unplug it to restart it. And also a little while after those problems begun, it did this other thing, where the buttons wouldn't work after the first minute of powering, so you couldn't adjust the display settings, no matter how dim the monitor was. I gave that away about a year ago, January 2005. Then my Dad purchased a Dell inspiron XPS for his home use, and the machine itself got so many viruses no matter what kind of firewall we installed, and the monitor was very nice, 20" widescreen. And the monitor experienced the same problems mine did, and so my Dad got rid of both of them and inherited my PowerBook G4 and Samsung Monitor this Christmas, when I got my new G5 and APPLE 20" display, which is amazing and absolutley worth the price.

monyx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 07:00 AM

http://www.bulkbuyer.com.au
2405FPW = AU $1250 delivered, next business day replacement warranty not affected by bulkbuy purchase (confirmed as I had my replacment monitor delivered just in time for Xmas on the 23rd)
Very happy with Dell, I'm function over form...black plastic case is irrelevant to me. Component video input and PinP and memory card reader swung me to Dell (well after the price ;-)
MacPro 2.66Ghz X1900XT 3Gb/800Gb/ 24" LCD/ OSX 10.4.8

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 02:14 AM

Remember: a neat desk is a sign of a sick mind.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 04:33 PM

i got my dell 20" widescreen LCD for $389.64 after tax and shipping that gives me 2 dell 20" LCD for the cost of one 20" Apple display here in the states. also after dell coupons, one 24" dell display = one 20" apple display in price if you look hard enough. ill stick with dell till i could afford aesthetics.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Jason
Jan 4, 2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by monyx
http://www.bulkbuyer.com.au
2405FPW = AU $1250 delivered, next business day replacement warranty not affected by bulkbuy purchase (confirmed as I had my replacment monitor delivered just in time for Xmas on the 23rd)
Very happy with Dell, I'm function over form...black plastic case is irrelevant to me. Component video input and PinP and memory card reader swung me to Dell (well after the price ;-)
Thanks Montyx, I guess it's a little too late for me to get that deal! I thought you would have had some special discount to save that much money, I'll keep my eye out for any discounts that come up. Congrats on the savings anyway!
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

Dumbo
Baninated
Jan 7, 2006, 03:04 PM

That's where being cheap on the screen gets ya.

Dell LCD screens can't properly playback Final Cut Pro material

You get what you paid for. And that's exactly why paying more for Apple quality is worth it.

G5man
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 03:12 PM

I wonder what the refresh rate is on the new 30" Dells? To add to your comment Dumbo you aslo pay to get the better look that is more, professional than the plastic. (in my opinion)

radwerx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2006, 05:52 AM

Had some time during my school vacation. Here's some nicer pics of my setup.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by radwerx
Your first picture is really cool, shows the G5's best side.

kick52
Baninated
Jan 8, 2006, 07:12 AM

i cant wait until i get my sawtooth, and then i'll post some pics..

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2006, 03:22 AM

Please post a link to that great background!

radwerx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 06:16 AM

The wallpaper is from The Gigapxl Project: http://www.gigapxl.org/

Direct link to the image is here: http://www.gigapxl.org/gallery-SanDiegoNight.htm

TiloProbst
Jan 10, 2006, 08:22 AM

Dual 2.0 Ghz and Single 1.8 Ghz .. just for fotoshooting, currently only one of them stands on the desk.

http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~tipr-...s/doppelg5.jpg

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 05:29 PM

Just added a dual 2.7 to my collection...

http://homepage.mac.com/michaeltrauf...otoAlbum6.html

The set up is a bit primitive for now...but will improve over time.
I gotta have more cowbell.

lovehelena
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 10:52 AM

http://kmug.co.kr/board/data/macmani...p_powermac.jpg

Maybe one of the last macs powered by PowerPC
loved well for long time by Apple, but now dumped out...
Will the Bear's Power arise again over the horizon of Apple?
alice in wonderland

Naediel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 11:04 AM

[image snip]
Wow that looks awesome.
-Dan

diotav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 12:28 PM

My new Dualcore 2.0 GHz ... it's a beast!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by diotav
http://members.chello.nl/t.heuving/S1.jpg

My new Dualcore 2.0 GHz ... it's a beast!
Nice first post.. how much did you pay for the DELL display?

diotav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 06:41 PM

In euro's € 999,- this is $ 1209,09 ... a couple of monts ago!

G5man
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 02:27 AM

20" or 24" display? Specs besides the processor?

havocidal
Jan 15, 2006, 09:36 AM

most definitely 24"... itz almost the height of e powermac

diotav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 09:49 AM

It's a 24" Dell 2405FPW ... and I love it. The PowerMac is a 2.0 GHz Dualcore with 3 gigs of ram and Geforce 6600 256 MB vRam. It has 250 GB memory and 250 GB external memory. This is my first "desktop-Mac" .. I also own a iBook G4.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2006, 06:28 PM

Lovehelena - what are those screens, and how are they?

Originally Posted by lovehelena
http://kmug.co.kr/board/data/macmani...p_powermac.jpg

Maybe one of the last macs powered by PowerPC
loved well for long time by Apple, but now dumped out...
Will the Bear's Power arise again over the horizon of Apple?

G5man
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 10:42 PM

lovehelena: I like your way how you use the term, Think Different. Using max height on display and then putting printer in the center and clamping all the wires together. Very nice.

osinsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2006, 03:03 AM

http://www.geocities.com/radwerx/6.jpgheh - if I had such clean desktop...
Blood will follow blood
Dying time is here
Damage Incorporated

lars-man
Jan 20, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by all2ofme
Lovehelena - what are those screens, and how are they?
Hi,

I'd say that these are the L568 from EIZO because I have one of these and it looks like the ones on the picture. It's a 17" display with very good picture quality. But these could be the 19" version (L768) as well.

Regards, Lars

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 05:13 PM

My home office (it's a little messy):

Above: iMac Intel 1.83 GHz, iBook G4 1.25 GHz, G5 dual 2 GHz.

Above: G4 1.25 GHz MDD, iBook G3 300 MHz, a Pentium 4 2.53 GHz, and an Athlon 2.3 GHz.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 04:25 AM

id like for you to run the photoshop test here in the powermac forums with all four of your ibook, dual g4, intel imac, and g5 if possible...im very interested in the results. i think the dual g4 will give the intel imac a run for its money. lemme know if you do this Bwa...im debating over a new intel imac or dual g4.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

grinder
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2006, 02:19 PM

BWA, how did you get the four displays hooked up to your powermac g5? Do you use 4 seperate graphic cards? If so, which ones do you use?
Anyway, great setup, especially the desk with the iMac/iBook!
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by grinder
BWA, how did you get the four displays hooked up to your powermac g5? Do you use 4 seperate graphic cards? If so, which ones do you use?

I would think that it is just one more card as you can have two monitors on a Card.
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2006, 05:39 PM

The G5 (pre-dual core model) has one 9600 AGP and three 9200 PCI cards. I was running eight monitors for a while, but I'm back to four for the time being (eight is a lot and gets to be overwhelming).

One of the 9200 cards is unused--I plan to move it to my G4 at work which has 4 slow Rage128 cards.

The two edge displays are connected via DVI to dedicated 9200 cards.

The two center displays share the 9600 (a dual DVI card).

Note that the dual core G5s are PCIe. I think the only option for extra video for those machines is the $199 Nvidia 6600 right now.

BTW, I'm using Ergotron stands--they are very modular (you can buy kits or individual parts), and while expensive, they seriously rock.

grinder
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2006, 09:04 AM

Thanks for sharing.
Westfoto, on a dual-core G5 with PCIe, you can't have two dual display cards at once. The NVidia Quadro FX takes up a 16x and an 8x lane. after that, vou only have two 4x lanes left.So with a dual or quad g5, you'd have to have a quadro and two other cards for running four displays. At least that's what I know, correct me If I'm wrong.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2006, 12:42 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Westfoto, on a dual-core G5 with PCIe, you can't have two dual display cards at once. The NVidia Quadro FX takes up a 16x and an 8x lane. after that, vou only have two 4x lanes left.So with a dual or quad g5, you'd have to have a quadro and two other cards for running four displays. At least that's what I know, correct me If I'm wrong.
The Nvidia 6600 is a dual display card and only takes up one slot. Apple sells the current G5s as capable of eight displays:

From http://www.apple.com/displays/

Every Power Mac G5 supports two displays — including one 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display — and can be expanded to drive an array of up to eight displays.

G5man
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2006, 05:52 PM

Thanks for sharing.
That is not true, the Quadro FX takes up a 16x and 4x leaving an 8x and 4x.
http://images.apple.com/powermac/pdf...erMacG5_TO.pdf
There is an image on page 12

diotav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 08:05 AM

grinder
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 02:09 PM

Your setup looks beautiful with the evening sun shining on the table.

Forum Links
Forum Rules