Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > sek929/hyteckit banned?

sek929/hyteckit banned? (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I find your agenda of derailing threads you deem too serious obsessive.
My agenda is not with serious threads, but with threads that strive so incessantly to perfect that which will not be perfected, and to pick these sort of things apart to death. The idea of lobbying for your vision of MacNN seems like such a frequent occurrence that it seems to happen every week to similar results (i.e. very little changing, presumable annoyance of this fact), and this is coming from somebody who used to be a former lobbyist herself. I don't see why if people insist on doing this sort of thing that it can't be done in a more lighthearted and playful way? It seems to me that we are at our best this way, and I suspect this is why many people come here in the first place.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I think that's Simon's issue, that too much attempt at "fun" have caused many people to behave in such a way that detracts from the technical discussions.

I have to agree with him here, that many (all?) threads in the feedback forum get crapped on/derailed so quickly that its almost impossible to have a genuine dialog.

I disagree. Feedback threads die because people are willing to shoot down ideas in a serious and sometimes hostile manner well before any fun sets in.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The idea of lobbying for your vision of MacNN seems like such a frequent occurrence that it seems to happen every week to similar results
Oh please, do provide some examples.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 11:10 AM

Oh please, do provide some examples.
Are you serious? There are constantly threads about who should have been banned and how and when, how the rules can be tweaked, which mods are fair, which aren't, how many points certain infractions should be worth, when they should be issued, etc.

I'm not trying to sound condescending towards the original poster at all. I just see that this thread has morphed (predictably) into the infractions system as a whole using this incident as a case study. I have a stake in this place too, and wonder whether these sorts of discussions do more harm than good.

I mean, let's just be frank, this place has gotten incredibly boring. We wanted to shoe the Twilight kids away, we've shoed away other freaks and those with strong and aggressive opinions, we've shoed away others too. What seems to be left are some banter threads (which I love), some technical rerun threads, and a whole bunch of other one or two pager miscellaneous threads. I'm not complaining, I'm here after all, but if threads about optimizing the rules continue on so frequently there may be nothing left to optimize. I can't help thinking that if I were a newbie or somebody looking for a place to hang, people going back and forth about what constitutes an infraction would be a turnoff. Ironically, my pointing this out is also a turnoff.

I think it's better to think of this place as simple, light hearted, baggageless fun and community. Incoming members are going to feel intimidated and uninterested in learning the ropes in order to hang out, and why should they have to? This place would be better off being more inclusive, and with less of a learning curve to get along. The only reason that we are willing to sort of go through this process is because we see value in being here. People who are new will not, initially, be it here or anywhere else.

Just my two cents.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 11:12 AM

So by "your" you weren't referring to me personally.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 11:15 AM

So by "your" you weren't referring to me personally.
Oh, I see what you are referring to now... No, sorry, I didn't mean to infer that. I meant "your" as in a very general your... I probably should have said "one's".

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 11:16 AM

You know besson, I find it interesting that you want people to who don't like your threads to ignore them, yet as soon as something hits in feedback you don't like, you proceed to take a gigantic dump in it. Perhaps you should take your own advice?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 11:25 AM

You know besson, I find it interesting that you want people to who don't like your threads to ignore them, yet as soon as something hits in feedback you don't like, you proceed to take a gigantic dump in it. Perhaps you should take your own advice?
Don't feedback threads invite a wide range of opinions from all active members?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 11:29 AM

Are you trying to claim all of your posts in this thread have been on topic?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2009, 11:37 AM

Oh give me a break. Which part of your five post thread crapping was opinion? None. You just felt like taking a dump to prove what a cool chump you can be. Your obstructive behavior here showed nothing but contempt for the OP's attempt at "inviting a wide range of opinions from active members".
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 12:12 PM

Are you trying to claim all of your posts in this thread have been on topic?
Of course not, I meant now that we are talking about this explicitly.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Oh give me a break. Which part of your five post thread crapping was opinion? None. You just felt like taking a dump to prove what a cool chump you can be. Your obstructive behavior here showed nothing but contempt for the OP's attempt at "inviting a wide range of opinions from active members".
What is it with some members here and poop? There were no dumps been taken by me intended to rile up the original poster, I do not have an axe to grind with him.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2009, 01:51 PM

What is it with some members here and poop? There were no dumps been taken by me intended to rile up the original poster, I do not have an axe to grind with him.
You really ought to check out what you post in the thread before you proclaim your innocence. you pretty much decided to crap on the thread and derail it.

I'm also concerned about the threat of terrorism. What do we do if we catch a terrorist on MacNN? Do we have the appropriate security protocols in place? Perhaps we should run a few drills?
Well, I think that we should make it a regular drill to ask members about their possible terror connections, and to be very firm about this...
Maybe we should start a new thread for this ghporter? Something tells me you are trying to trick me into getting myself an infraction, but I'm not going to fall for that. Maybe you should give yourself an infraction for encouraging my bad behavior? Or, you could also give everybody on MacNN multiple infractions so that everybody is temp banned except me, so that I have nobody to talk to. I'm not exactly sure why this is a good idea, but if I told you I'd be derailing this thread.

~Mike

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 03:25 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but as besson is someone who consistently campaigns for more leniency, why would he not like a thread pointing out that sek929 deserved more leniency?

IOW, besson's posts in this thread imply, if anything, an equal opportunity dumping policy.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 03:31 PM

Wut?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2009, 04:04 PM

Wut?
I'll have to second that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 04:04 PM

I'm guessing besson would want sek929 unbanned if given the choice.

The general thrust of this thread is that sek929 should be unbanned.

Therefore, besson will dump in a feedback thread even if it's trying to accomplish something he agrees with.

To put it another way, besson didn't dump in this thread because he didn't like it, he dumped in this thread because it's a thread.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 04:11 PM

No, he dumped in the thread because it's trying to accomplish something.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2009, 04:17 PM

Does it matter if he dumped here because it's a thread or because it's a thread trying to accomplish something? IMHO the fact is that he dumped in it and that alone — regardless of his motivation — should be grounds for sanctions. If all the thread crapping he has performed here hasn't augmented his infraction count, I do not know which rules are being enforced.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 04:54 PM

No, he dumped in the thread because it's trying to accomplish something.

Well, that's a strong accusation.

I can't (and shouldn't have been) speaking for him in the first place, but I don't think that's his motivation.

IMHO the fact is that he dumped in it and that alone... should be grounds for sanctions.

We know.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Well, that's a strong accusation.
Yeah, his post at the top of the page corroborates that.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 13, 2009, 05:07 PM

My agenda is not with serious threads, but with threads that strive so incessantly to perfect that which will not be perfected, and to pick these sort of things apart to death. The idea of lobbying for your vision of MacNN seems like such a frequent occurrence that it seems to happen every week to similar results (i.e. very little changing, presumable annoyance of this fact), and this is coming from somebody who used to be a former lobbyist herself. I don't see why if people insist on doing this sort of thing that it can't be done in a more lighthearted and playful way? It seems to me that we are at our best this way, and I suspect this is why many people come here in the first place.
So if your idea of a perfect forum is an imperfect one, isn't your ensuring its imperfection simply you trying to perfect it?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 05:09 PM

Don't bother, he was built with paradox-absorbing crumple zones.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 05:45 PM

Yeah, his post at the top of the page corroborates that.

It seems to me he's objecting to trying to accomplish something by banging your head against the wall over and over again rather than the idea of trying to accomplish something in and of itself. Likewise, he didn't interfere until it became clear the most important potential accomplishment (springing sek929) was a non-starter.

While I wouldn't use his methods, I agree with his assessment. If we as users have a genuine problem with the way the infraction system goes down, picking apart this incident is precisely the wrong way to fix it. The mods are shell-shocked enough as it is.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 05:52 PM

It seems to me he's objecting to trying to accomplish something by banging your head against the wall over and over again rather than the idea of trying to accomplish something in and of itself. Likewise, he didn't interfere until it became clear the most important potential accomplishment (springing sek929) was a non-starter.
Give me a break. His reasoning is all smoke and mirrors. He enjoys his nature as an irritant and outsider, and jumps on any opportunity to grab attention. These feedback threads are perfect fodder, as we've just spent half a page talking about him.

The best part is he gets away with it because he started feedback threads complaining about how serious this place is. The ****ing irony.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 05:58 PM

Hey guys, I'm back! What did I miss? Did we figure anything out?

What subego wrote sounds good to me, let's go with that.

Seriously though, when has the hand wringing over who was banned how and why and when ever done any good? Doesn't this ever exhaust you? Heck, we could keep this thread going until sek gets back and even beyond, but what good would that do besides turn away people that aren't really interested in the drama and the rule obsessing?

You might say that these sorts of obsessions and drama are isolated to particular threads, but I really think it's more prevalent than that now...

Again, I think we all need to take a far more lighthearted approach to thinking about this place. None of this stuff needs to be this serious. I'm sure many of you can and will pick apart what I'm saying here and how I'm saying it, whether I'm in a good position to say it, etc. but again, what good has come out of threads like this?

Disclaimer: by "threads like this" I don't mean the original inquiry, but the broader discussion about the rules

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 06:01 PM

Also, I'm glad somebody brought Admiral Ackbar into page 2!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 06:17 PM

Can you guys stop quoting besson, please?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 06:41 PM

Can we just stop responding to besson entirely? I'm fairly certain that such a reaction from the community as a whole would eventually result in him getting bored and moving on.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
So if your idea of a perfect forum is an imperfect one, isn't your ensuring its imperfection simply you trying to perfect it?
You just exploded my brain.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 07:18 PM

Hai guyz, watz going ohn ?

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2009, 07:46 PM

Maybe we should start a new thread for this ghporter? Something tells me you are trying to trick me into getting myself an infraction, but I'm not going to fall for that.
No trick intended. But I did notice that you pointedly did NOT say that you weren't a terrorist. That could make one wonder...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Can we just stop responding to besson entirely? I'm fairly certain that such a reaction from the community as a whole would eventually result in him getting bored and moving on.
Do you remember that one time where you said that you would like to punch me in the face? I always remember that and laugh as I think about it Then again, punching people in the face is generally comedic gold no matter whose face gets punched, and who is doing the punching...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
No trick intended. But I did notice that you pointedly did NOT say that you weren't a terrorist. That could make one wonder...

Well, I do like to pal around with this one guy I walk past almost every day that always wants to give me this free newspaper. He sort of looks like a terrorist in disguise. His name is Ken.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 03:53 AM

Give me a break. His reasoning is all smoke and mirrors. He enjoys his nature as an irritant and outsider, and jumps on any opportunity to grab attention. These feedback threads are perfect fodder, as we've just spent half a page talking about him.
That's the case.

The conclusion is that instead of hitting the reply button people should be hitting the report button.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2009, 05:31 AM

Look folks, I sit and watch this board a lot more than I post on it. And I've learned a few things by just sitting back. If you don't like Besson's silly posts just don't respond to them. I don't think Besson is a bad person or anything. I just think he likes the attention you give him when he is being silly. So, pretty much, y'all are in this endless cycle of him being silly and the rest of you complaining about him being silly. It only takes one of you to change your behavior to stop the cycle.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 06:26 AM

I feel like i'm reading through As MacNN Turns.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2009, 08:15 AM

Well, I do like to pal around with this one guy I walk past almost every day that always wants to give me this free newspaper. He sort of looks like a terrorist in disguise. His name is Ken.
Ok, obviously you can't see that the sarcasm meter on my posts has been off the scale. No more off topic posts, by you or anybody else.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 09:22 AM

That's the case.

The conclusion is that instead of hitting the reply button people should be hitting the report button.
Good idea! Reported....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 05:03 PM

I've essentially withdrawn from this thread, but I just wanted to jump back in to apologize if I antagonized anyone (especially Dakar). That was the furthest thing from my intent.

Again, my apologies.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 06:15 PM

I want to apologize too for being goofy. That's generally the way I like to roll, but I shouldn't have rolled that way in this particular thread.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2009, 03:21 AM

the following post will have nothing to do with this thread:

I smell another banination coming for someone to put on their list.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Is two bans from one thread (Scientology) a record?
No, I remember 3-4 from one religion topic a few years ago, but it's always the same subject.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2009, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
sek929 is inexplicable to me. I searched his posts, and I'm not seeing it. Was there something else going on that resulted in these two bans?
seks' ban reads like one you'd hand out to a known pot stirrer; not one you'd hand out to a guy who makes an appearance one a month.
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
If a nice, inoffensive chap like Sek gets a ban, you know the mods have their underwear a little too tight.
Thanks for the kind words chaps! It's funny that the most attention paid to me has been after my bannination. You like me, you really like me!

sek929 more or less admitted that he knew better than to continue participating in that thread, yet did so anyways.
Exactly right, I knew better but continued.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
In all honesty, sek's posts seemed tame for the PWL and I would bet they were reported by an "enemy," but would have been ignored otherwise. The guy's never ever had an infraction before (I think?) and suddenly gets enough for a temp ban? It seems a bit unbelievable to me.
I'm surprised I received two infraction for the thread, one was totally warranted (as I'll touch on later) but I'm uncertain what pushed me over the edge. Being made an example perhaps?

Should we actually be surprised? Both posters post almost exclusively in the PWL. Isn't that bound to happen earlier or later?
Unfortunately, I'm as much a PWL poster as you SImon, I rarely visit there. Yes, my posts prior to the ban were all in the PWL, but that doesn't make me a regular.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And while some people say they "can't see it," there is indeed enough there to land even a usually calm member like sek a short vacation.
I see at least one. I used the term "lunatic" to refer to another member (for which I apologize, it was very douchébag of me) but beyond that I'm kinda dumbfounded where the second 10 infraction points came from.

Beyond that, if you'd like to know my harrowing story just look to lounge for a complete diary of events*

*Actual events may not match thread

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2009, 03:57 AM

It appears that both infractions were for my Kevin nonsense and not even involving me calling another member a lunatic.

I had a feeling.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You like me, you really like me!
Nah, I just figure if you can get banned, anyone can get banned. I can see it now, the great Admin Wars of 2010, Administration banninated carcasses lining the forum, Mod turning on brother Mod. It will be like the US Civil War. Only without all that blood and death.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 16, 2009, 10:41 AM

Welcome back sek. Missed ya.

*sniff*

*wipes tear of joy*

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It appears that both infractions were for my Kevin nonsense and not even involving me calling another member a lunatic.
For those of us who are a) are too lazy to search and b) relative noobs, could 'Kevin nonsense' please be explained.

For educational purposes of course.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2009, 11:04 AM

We need a MacNN wiki...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 16, 2009, 11:13 AM

It exists.

Get to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules