Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Very basic DSL to Airporrt Extreme question

Very basic DSL to Airporrt Extreme question
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2013, 08:29 PM

So, I am trying to help a relative straighten out their DSL connection.
It is nothing more than what looks to be an ancient Westell 6100 Verizon modem going to an old Airport Extreme (1 ethernet port, pots modem and usb connections).

I guess the DSL modem will handle the PPPoE but for some reason there is trouble if the Airport is set to anything other than Bridge Mode under Internet->Connection Sharing. IS having the Airport in bridge mode an ideal set-up?

Cold Warrior
May 4, 2013, 08:38 PM

Is the modem acting as a dhcp server? A lot of times these things get set up this way, and it's better to have the modem be only a modem and let the airport extreme do dhcp and the rest of the lan networking.

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2013, 10:18 PM

I think the modem is doing dhcp - the config interface is so unbelievably confusing (to me anyway). So that combined with my rapidly declining abilities is making this rather confusing.
I think the modem wants to do everything - PPPoE, DHCP, it even has a little map of the lan on its main page. At this point it would probably just make sense to try to have the DSL modem replaced with one that has built-in wifi. Then it could do everything including replace the need for the Airport box.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2013, 06:23 AM

Try this:

Changing your Westell 6100 modem to Bridge Mode
https://www22.verizon.com/Support/Re...ree/123756.htm

That should be the end of it.

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2013, 04:50 PM

Why is it better to have the DSL modem in bridge mode rather then the Airport in bridge mode?
Just curious.
Also, if she ever calls Verizon for troubleshooting and they have her reset the modem won't it go back to'non-bridge' mode...?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2013, 04:56 PM

Administering the Airport is easier. Just taking the Verizon modem out of the equation is probably a simple solution.

Switching it off and on again will just boot it to the last saved state, including bridge settings.

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2013, 09:45 PM

I just went through some bad flashbacks about administering a Westell modem with ANY router... I was...bad.

Spheric is correct: it is orders of magnitude easier to keep all the user management in the AirPort device, and have the modem just provide a hot Ethernet connection.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules