Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > website analysis assistance

website analysis assistance
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Feb 24, 2016, 03:52 PM

Hello all,

I work at a firm where one of the main sources of business is through its' website, and generated leads. All was well until the owners of this company decided to go with a new website. The new website required a web designer to put together the consumer side, while the back end is designed by another, and the two speak to each other so the back end jives with the front(public side). I have had a feeling that things have been wrong for quite awhile now, and specifically,as our busy season is from the beginning of the year through March we should be VERY busy, however, lead generation has been near non-existent. I've checked with other similar companies around here, and they are generating leads through their sites.

I finally got the owners to speak to the front side designers after I mentioned that when Googling key words describing our business we came up at the end of page two or page three - in other words we aren't on there. The companies(web design co.) reply was that the internet was breaking down(I know - crazy), and that Google was no longer useful in determining SEO. I find all of this laughable, and grounds for immediate firings as I find the other companies on page one(where we used to be) and they are doing quite well.

I expressed my concerns today, and said they need to stop listening to these people, and hire an outside person/firm which can look at all aspects of our site, and determine just what is wrong with it, and a plan on fixing it. One owner said "I just wouldn't know how to find someone to do that". They are older, and certainly not so net savvy, and just need help finding solutions.

With that, I would appreciate any input in regards to firms which might be able to assist us with this issue.

Thanks in advance.

andi*pandi
Feb 24, 2016, 06:51 PM

You need two things... an SEO expert, and a developer who can understand the two systems. Google is still quite relevant for us for SEO.

What's the platform?

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Feb 24, 2016, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the reply.

It's a vacation rental website. From "the internet is breaking down" to "Google isn't that important anymore" I feel like the web design company are just spewing BS to cover their inadequacies. The owner just sent me a pdf from the design firm explaining the great results they have been generating, when in fact no inquiries are actually coming through.

andi*pandi
Feb 26, 2016, 06:58 PM

I think your instinct is on target.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2016, 04:44 PM

Somebody at your company should have access to the Google analytics for the website. The analytics report provides a wealth of information as to who visits your site, their traffic patterns and stuff.

If the site was designed without inserting the analytics code, something is very wrong. The story from the web people sounds odd, but there is a bit of voodoo in SEO, and things with Google change constantly. I'm pretty sure the biggest factor in ranking is still the balance of links too a website vs. links going out, but optimization for mobile is becoming a big factor too.

Would you mind posting a link? Is there a rule against doing so in the lounge?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

andi*pandi
Mar 2, 2016, 05:17 PM

No rule against at all.

When I asked about the platform, I meant if it was Wordpress, .Net, or straight HTML, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules