Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > More Twitter For Dinosaurs

More Twitter For Dinosaurs
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2013, 04:50 AM

Your favorite feathery lil' velociraptor is back with another question.

What I still don't really understand is how other people consume Twitter. Do you use an app? The website? How many times do you check your feed a day? Do you have it always running in the background?

This is obviously going to be dependent on how many people you follow. I'm guessing someone following 10 people is going to have a different use pattern than someone with 100. I'm interested in both ends of the scale.

The reason I'm asking is I just don't do what people would call "computing" on anything other than a phone. That's a very much a "singletasking" device, unlike a real computer.

I can only guess at how people use it in a multitasking environment, and how someone who is used to it being part of their multitasking experience makes that work on a singletask device. I'm sure it's not like the way I do it, which is remember to check maybe once a week.

If I'm actually going to communicate with it, I want to have some idea of the common contexts in which followers receive communications.

Does that make sense?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2013, 11:33 AM

I use slices.me and their app on iOS. It lets you categorize who you follow so it is easier to decide what you want to look at. For example, I have categories (or Slices) for Humor (comedians, etc), Music (all artist accounts go here), Tech, Sports, Facts & Quotes, People I know in real life, and a few others.

It makes it a lot easier to digest all the information Twitters spits out: Slices for Twitter

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 11:47 AM

Yeah its not that fun to consume on the iPhone. I've scaled back my usage as a result.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2013, 11:56 AM

Tweetdeck is an amazing app. It allows you to put your lists in separate columns. On the iPhone, I just bounce between lists because there doesn't seem to be a tweetdeck-like app on iOS.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 12:04 PM

Tweetdeck is great, but twitter hamstringing it really is a drawback. Are they even updating it anymore, particularly on the iPhone?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 12:50 PM

I've never really gotten twitter either. I have a twitter account. I follow people I find interesting.

I find that I just don't care. I don't find it a good way to get information and I also find it very hard to follow conversations and back and forths.

It seems like half of the tweets are responses to something I don't know about.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 12:56 PM

They just updated the app to make conversations more visible and readable (as in chronological)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I've never really gotten twitter either. I have a twitter account. I follow people I find interesting.

I find that I just don't care. I don't find it a good way to get information and I also find it very hard to follow conversations and back and forths.

It seems like half of the tweets are responses to something I don't know about.
I'm in your camp. I used twitter for a few weeks to communicate with people overseas when I needed on the ground info. After the excitement past, I lost interest. I really don't care about most of the tweets out there, though there is value when something serious occurs.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 01:58 PM

That's my other problem. I use Twitterific for iPhone and it won't connect to twitter anymore. It always gives me an error.

My login wrks but it won't pull anything down. I've tried logging out and back in. Reinstalling the app. Nada.

I guess I'll just switch to the default app, even though I hear it sucks.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 30, 2013, 03:35 PM

Main Client: Tweetbot for my iPhone
Checks per day: 4-5
Always running: No
Following: 60 people

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2013, 12:57 AM

These are all very helpful answers! I knew there had to be this piece I'm missing.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 31, 2013, 02:56 PM

I don't get it either, well I got this instead:

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2013, 05:42 PM

I follow one person. That's it. I check maybe once a week.

It's safe to say that I don't get twitter, at least not in the way people are intended to "get it".

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2013, 11:43 PM

Is there a consensus as to when a tweet expires?

I mean, when are you doing the equivalent of necroing a thread?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2013, 09:37 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules