Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anyone buying iPhone on launch day?

Anyone buying iPhone on launch day?
Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 18, 2007, 05:53 PM

I'm only working half a day on the 29th, so I'm gonna hang around the mall starting around 1:00 and see how line is at the Apple Store. If there is no line I might catch a movie and go back to the store afterwards. I hope there isn't a huge line as I hate standing in a line for several hours. I'm so excited that the time is finally here. I've been awaiting this moment since the announcement! Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed to not be disappointed by the plan prices.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 06:16 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm going to be getting off of work a bit early, then I'll go check out the situation. I'm also ready to buy on the 29th, but if AT&T's plans are outrageous, I might not get one. I certainly hope AT&T realizes how many people are on the fence about buying an iPhone, and how many of those "fencers" are waiting for the rates from AT&T in order to make their decision.

But even if the worst of my fears is realized, I'll still go to my local Apple Store just to check out the chaos.

k2director
Senior User
Jun 18, 2007, 06:19 PM

I'm buying, no doubt about it.

I'll swing by the Apple Store at The Grove (Los Angeles) in mid-morning to make sure a line isn't already forming. If so, I'll join. If not, I'll repeat the process in the early afternoon.

It's been a long, cold, hard winter and spring waiting for this thing. I've lasted more than 5 months, but these last two weeks are going to be just as tough...

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2007, 06:57 PM

I will be in about 5000 hours

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 07:00 PM

I'd like to go see the iphone on friday or saturday. I don't think I'll buy friday and if they sell out right away I guess I'll wait for the next batch. I will definitely not stand in line for one. Too 'mac-fanboy' for me.

I'm definitely getting the first generation one within a few days (jf they're not all sold out), but I can't help but know that it's a bad idea. Apple products are always buggy the first generation. Although I guess just get applecare and have another gsm phone on hand to stick your sim card in while your iphone is in the shop.

I remember the Newton launch at MacWorld in boston oh so many years ago. All these people rushing in to get this new-fangled pda thing. Lol. But that wasn't SJ....

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
Apple products are always buggy the first generation.
not true
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
not true
no. not true. Sensitive devices like laptops have a tendency to be buggy during the first round. My ibook 500 went through two MB replacements before they got it right. I know there were a lot of problems with the first generation Mac Book Pros. There are still problems. I wonder a bit about the quality of the intel hardware... anyway tanget..

yeah. It's not always true, but often is. v1.0 devices, esp. one kept so secret, are bound to be buggy because they simply have not been tested by a wider audience.

Regardless, I'm still getting one, even if my better judgement tells me I should wait (I've been waiting years to get out of my Verizon contract).
Custom furniture: Steel, wood, concrete. Concrete counter tops.
http://mhayesdesign.com
http://theconcreature.com

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2007, 09:44 PM

I have owned the first gen iPod with no prob, PowerBook G3 (Pismo) , G4 17" PowerBook (currently owned since 2003) with no problem ever. I have 50 1st Gen Intel iMacs in my school and all have been problem free.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 09:51 PM

I would, but I'm moving in two weeks, so no cash.

Probably a few months down the line.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 09:57 PM

I have owned the first gen iPod with no prob, PowerBook G3 (Pismo) , G4 17" PowerBook (currently owned since 2003) with no problem ever. I have 50 1st Gen Intel iMacs in my school and all have been problem free.
I am happy for you. I wish that I had been so lucky with the machines that I purchased, but it's no coincidence that there is a v1.0 = buggy sentiment out there and not just for Apple products.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 18, 2007, 10:02 PM

I'm willing to take the risk on this one. I am in the market for a new phone since my contract has expired, and the timing is just perfect.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2007, 10:04 PM

Of course there are fewer bugs in later revisions than in the first one, but that doesn't mean that the first version of a product isn't worth having. It might mean that you have a little bit better chance of getting one with problems, but even the least reliable models were mostly OK.

I'm going to do my best to get one on launch day, but we don't have an Apple Store anywhere nearby, so I'm at the mercy of the AT&T stores, one of which has already told me for sure that they won't be getting any. Supposedly they'll also be available on Apple's web site, so I'm hoping I can get an order in there if I strike out locally.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
I'm willing to take the risk on this one. I am in the market for a new phone since my contract has expired, and the timing is just perfect.
My Verizon contract just expired a week or so ago. My girlfriends phone is on its last leg and we've been talking for a long time about switching to ATT/Cing. I want to pick up that new SE K850 Camera/Phone for her, though I'm not sure how soon its coming out.

I can't tell you how long I have wanted to ditch Verizon. That have had the crummiest selection of phones since forever. And now that they have some better phones, you get their proprietary interface.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 10:11 PM

If it turns out you do the activation online (perhaps in iTunes; that would make the in-store purchase/wait a lot less painful), somebody should do a group buy where one guy gets all the cash from a bunch of people and gets a commission for being the guy that has to stand in line, although I wonder if they'll have caps on the number that you can buy.

....are we insane for wanting (lusting) to spend $600 on a device we've never used or seen in person? I guess I am..

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 11:39 PM

If it turns out you do the activation online (perhaps in iTunes; that would make the in-store purchase/wait a lot less painful), somebody should do a group buy where one guy gets all the cash from a bunch of people and gets a commission for being the guy that has to stand in line, although I wonder if they'll have caps on the number that you can buy.
Yeah that would be a good idea. But I have a feeling they will restrict the number of iPhones per customer. If not, it will be a short night I'm assuming.

....are we insane for wanting (lusting) to spend $600 on a device we've never used or seen in person? I guess I am..
Yes, we are insane. It feels good, so I'm cool with it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah that would be a good idea.
No, I think it would be a downright terrible idea. How would they distinguish the people buying a bunch of iPhones "for their friends" and people who were going to flip them on eBay? All of the craziness around the PS3 launch can be attributed to people reselling them. I don't want to see iPhones selling for several times list price on eBay right after launch.

By the way, do we know for sure that the activation and whatnot is done after purchase at home? I'm a little surprised by that.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 11:52 PM

I'll be there waiting in line at my local Apple Store on the 29th. The only question is how early should one get there? I've waited in line 4 hours for a couple Stevenotes and a Apple Store opening. I may have to do the same for the iPhone release.

...I thought Apple did a great job with the 1st gen iPods. Mine is still running like a champ after 5 years. Let's hope the same can be said for the iPhone.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
No, I think it would be a downright terrible idea. How would they distinguish the people buying a bunch of iPhones "for their friends" and people who were going to flip them on eBay? All of the craziness around the PS3 launch can be attributed to people reselling them. I don't want to see iPhones selling for several times list price on eBay right after launch.
True. True. Steve would never let that happen. Control freak.

Here's a better idea: they throw cocktail parties at all the Apple stores. You should up and put your name on a list then go and chat with other mac-philes while you down several martinis, then they call your name and get you setup when it's your turn (i.e. the 'Genius' Bar)

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 03:28 AM

I've said this in another thread, I'll say it again here. My big fear for launch day is the hassle of waiting to get your phone activated IF you have to do it there on the spot. I've never established new mobile phone service with a new provider and NOT had it be a 45 minute or more ordeal. Now imagine if you have to get your service activated at point of purchase.

My optimistic side would like to think they've thought of all this and it'll be smooth. Guess we'll know in 10 days.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 19, 2007, 07:56 AM

There will not be any activations happening in the Apple Store. There is a reason that Apple posts on the iPhone page that iTunes will be required for activation.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 08:32 AM

There will not be any activations happening in the Apple Store. There is a reason that Apple posts on the iPhone page that iTunes will be required for activation.
Agreed.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 09:30 AM

That's why I'll be going to an AT&Tingular outlet. I intend to keep my phone numbers. I doubt you're gonna be able to do more complicated transactions like that through iTunes. The iTunes activation is more likely for new AT&T customers getting brand new phone numbers.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 19, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
That's why I'll be going to an AT&Tingular outlet. I intend to keep my phone numbers. I doubt you're gonna be able to do more complicated transactions like that through iTunes. The iTunes activation is more likely for new AT&T customers getting brand new phone numbers.
I can't find the link now, but one website claimed that Apple would be asking for a phone number at checkout if you have one to transfer. Then it would be available to you during the iTunes activation process. Has anyone else read this?

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2007, 12:45 PM

I can't find the link now, but one website claimed that Apple would be asking for a phone number at checkout if you have one to transfer. Then it would be available to you during the iTunes activation process. Has anyone else read this?
I would be seriously suprised if Apple wouldn't let you do this because it is such a popular option these days - especially for people SWITCHING providers to get the iphone.

I would also be surprised if SJ would let the experience at an ATT store be signifigantly different than an Apple store. In fact I would bet that the apple store experience will be better than ATT.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2007, 02:16 PM

I also heard the rumor that activation will take place at home through iTunes, and that you would not be able to transfer your old number over. I heard this from a couple guys that work for an Apple Authorized Reseller. Take it with a grain of salt I guess, but it seems reasonable to me.

Personally, I don't mind changing my number. Too many people have my number that I really don't want to have.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2007, 04:02 PM

I also heard the rumor that activation will take place at home through iTunes, and that you would not be able to transfer your old number over. I heard this from a couple guys that work for an Apple Authorized Reseller. Take it with a grain of salt I guess, but it seems reasonable to me.

Personally, I don't mind changing my number. Too many people have my number that I really don't want to have.
Well if there is simply not enough information before the 29th, I'm definitely going to wait. Although it would be in their best interest to sort this all out ahead of time....

Oversoul
Senior User
Jun 19, 2007, 05:09 PM

I plan on it. Wish me luck, I'll be in line at San Francisco's flagship store with all the geeks in what might be the tech geekiest city in the country. Here's hoping they'll allocate more iPhones to this location.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2007, 06:37 PM

As for actually buying one on day 1, I don't think so. In fact, I still have like a year or so with T-mobile. However, I will take a day off on June 29 and see what's going on. Speaking off catching a movie, Ratatouille is also coming out on June 29.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
As for actually buying one on day 1, I don't think so. In fact, I still have like a year or so with T-mobile. However, I will take a day off on June 29 and see what's going on. Speaking off catching a movie, Ratatouille is also coming out on June 29.
Couldn't be a coincidence..

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 20, 2007, 10:19 AM

I'm more and more excited about the iPhone every day. I'm even more excited about it than I was the truck I bought last month!

Is the Proximity Sensor video new? I don't remember seeing it before. That is a very cool feature to turn the screen off when it is at your ear.

vln2
Jun 20, 2007, 11:25 AM

Even though we have hundreds of Macs at work I used PocketPC PDAs for over 6 years. I am using Outlook heavily. I guess only in last few days when I really looked into Touch and iPhone I am convinced about getting an iPod/phone hybrid.
My last 2 new video iPods had to be replaced by Apple within first 1 to 6 months and I had to pay for shipping on one. I see lot of iBook hard drives and logic boards breaking at work. I hope iPhone will hold little better, it is not cheap but this is as much as I paid for my previous new PDA Phones. AT&T/Cingular with 2 year contract is a big unknown.
Just knowing that Apple is releasing G3 version in Europe in the Fall makes me feel little uneasy but European 3G phone may not work here. I hate Edge and may just use Wi-Fi at work and home. Apple will eventually come up with 3G for US probably within a year so our investment will be outdated that quickly.
My HP IPAQ just cracked the screen and I can use half of it so dialing out is a bit of an issue  unless I can scroll through Contacts. I do need well working PDA phone ASAP.
I am planning on being at AT&T store early on Friday next week.
I am glad that they switched to optical glass, iPods were scratching way too easy. But I dropped my PDAs on concrete few times and they did fine, iPhone may not.

T-Mobile has replaced my PDAs without any questions in the past as long as they were covered with warranty, they Fedexed them and I just had to send back my old one later. I was assured by AT&T rep that they would do the same with iPhone purchased directly from them either in the store or online. Buying iPhone from Apple may later be subject to Apple’s own warranty rules which I would like to avoid. I think it will be worth to invest in third party insurance on this one.

In my area there are only few AT&T stores selected to sell iPhones on June 29th. Those will open at 6am and I am afraid that by afternoon they will be long gone. There are no sign-up lists. I guess I will have to get up early.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 11:28 AM

Is the Proximity Sensor video new? I don't remember seeing it before. That is a very cool feature to turn the screen off when it is at your ear.
No, that video's been there from the beginning, I think.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 20, 2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by vln2 View Post
In my area there are only few AT&T stores selected to sell iPhones on June 29th. Those will open at 6am and I am afraid that by afternoon they will be long gone. There are no sign-up lists. I guess I will have to get up early.
Stores will not receive shipments of iPhones until between 4:00 and 6:00 on the 29th. So, they won't be able to sell before 6:00 even if they wanted to.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 08:35 PM

Stores will not receive shipments of iPhones until between 4:00 and 6:00 on the 29th. So, they won't be able to sell before 6:00 even if they wanted to.
That can't be unless AT&T salespersons had training on the phone beforehand. I expect my AT&T rep to know this phone top to bottom!

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 20, 2007, 08:44 PM

That can't be unless AT&T salespersons had training on the phone beforehand. I expect my AT&T rep to know this phone top to bottom!
Thats what the Apple Store is saying anyway. It was discussed in one of the other threads.

I read somewhere else, though, that shipments would be received on the 28th. I think people are just making stuff up. I don't think anyone really knows.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 08:53 PM

Well if I'm going to buy a phone for $600 the salesman better know how to work it!

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 20, 2007, 09:07 PM

Well if I'm going to buy a phone for $600 the salesman better know how to work it!
Thats what I said about my new $29k truck. And my sister who had never seen it could tell me more about it than my salesman, lol. I think most of us here probably know more about the iPhone than the store reps will. But I hear ya.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 09:08 PM

Yeah, that could be a pretty big issue if they didn't put them through some training before the big night.

This is another reason to try to go to an Apple Store if you can. Those people at the very least know the Mac inside and out.

vln2
Jun 21, 2007, 02:29 AM

Thats what the Apple Store is saying anyway. It was discussed in one of the other threads.

I read somewhere else, though, that shipments would be received on the 28th. I think people are just making stuff up. I don't think anyone really knows.
AT&T rep told me that the selected stores which are going to sell iPhones on June 29th in my area would close early on June 28th at 4pm and prepare the area. I guess Brinks Security is delivering the iPhones. I am not sure when the actual delivery would take place, I thought on the 28th. I do not think it really matters, I do not expect the rep to train me on using it. I hope he can handle programming my old cell number to it.
I guess I would be able to dial out right away and receive calls few hours after cancelling T-Mobile. I will also move my wife's number so I hope I will be able to buy another phone not just iPhone in the morning.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by vln2
I hope he can handle programming my old cell number to it.
There's no "programming" your old cell number into a GSM device. All that info will be held on your SIM card.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 10:12 AM

There are other surprises in the works for June 29. In addition to launching the iPhone that day, Carter says AT&T also will announce new service plans for it.

He declined to be specific, but says plans will be customized for the iPhone. Translation: The iPhone may offer cool features such as unlimited Web browsing, but you'll have to pay for them.

Carter says the additional fees shouldn't be a surprise. "Regardless of which device you're using today, you pay us a certain amount for (voice) minutes, and you also pay us for data units," he says. "That is also true on the iPhone."
AT&T girds for iPhone launch on June 29 - USATODAY.com

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2007, 10:54 AM

I can't decide whether AT&T is keeping the rates a secret because they are high and they want to get people into the stores and impress them with the iPhone before springing it on them, or if it's a special rate that's actually not too bad, and might be the tipping point to convince people who are unsure about the iPhone. I guess the former is more likely. I'm going to be majorly pissed if the rates are really high. It's almost like a bait-and-switch to announce the phone months ahead of time and only tell people the actual cost of use until they're lined up to purchase the device.

By the way, that USA Today article had at least 2-3 typos in it. Don't news organizations proofread anymore? I've found similar things on CNN.com and MSNBC.com recently.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 11:12 AM

I would be very suprised if the data plan for the iPhone costs more than the unlimited data plan you have to get to use a Treo and similar PDAs. More likely, they will offer bundled Voice/Data plans for the iPhone. For example, 800 minutes + full functionality of internet/data services for $59.99 or something similar. Expect the full "iPhone Plan(s)" to be under $99, more likely in the $50-75 range.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 03:32 PM

I hope that total plan cost is less that what I pay verizon now ($108; voice+data) for my Treo. If its about the same, that works for me. I would expect the rate plans to be about the same as what is currently out there. That would make the most sense. They could offer a discount rate, but while it would get them a lot of subscribers, they would lose money in the long run, if they make it too high they may lose subscribers - so right along the price of other data plans would be their best bet.

I suspect, however, that they'll need to over a higher capacity or unlimited data plan to go with the likely increase data usage iphone users will need.

As far as telling us the rate plans ahead of time, I am thinking there are two factors:

1. They probably are still hashing out details.
2. They want to release little snippets of info each day to whet our appitites and keep us just as if not more excited every day as we lead up to the release. They don't want to drop some big bomb this early.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 03:40 PM

I doubt that AT&T are still working out the details for the plans. Its about 1 week until launch, and in order for them to be ready for launch they have to have things printed up with their rates and things like that. That takes longer than a week. You can bet there will be many a graphic about rates and plans and stuff like that when we go in on the 29th.

So my assumption is that they are waiting to give us the info for one of two reasons:

1) The rates are specific to the iPhone and will be cheaper than a lot of comparable services, which will give consumers a nice surprise on launch day (or very shortly before).

or

2) The rates are going to be pretty high, and they know that if they release the info now there will be a backlash for a week or so before it even hits the shelves. So they wait until launch day and hit people with the bad news. Most will still buy, but a lot will walk away.

God I hope its #1.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 03:46 PM

I hope its more than a day or two before:

According to AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel, a report today that AT&T will wait until the day of iPhone’s launch to disclose rate plans for the device is inaccurate. “We will disclose before the 29th,” said Siegel, noting that customers will be able to show up at stores that day knowing how much they will be charged for both the Apple-developed hardware and AT&T’s cellular service plans.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 03:51 PM

Ooh, I hadn't read that news. That eases some of my anxiety at least.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 04:17 PM

They could offer a discount rate, but while it would get them a lot of subscribers, they would lose money in the long run...
Not really. We are paying more for the phone up front, since there are no contract discounts.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 04:22 PM

We will disclose before the 29th," said Siegel, noting that customers will be able to show up at stores that day knowing how much they will be charged for both the Apple-developed hardware and AT&T¡¯s cellular service plans.
It's not going to be anything exotic...
AT&T denies 6/29 rate plan claim, will announce earlier

Phil333
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 04:37 PM

That's a flat out lie. There is a federal law that makes cell phone porting a mandatory and free option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules