Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > It's official... June 29th is the day!

It's official... June 29th is the day! (Page 2)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 02:43 PM

Ouch! That sucks.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I just got a phone call from the Cingular store where I had put my name on the iPhone waiting list, and they said that they weren't going to be getting any iPhones at launch. I asked why, and the guy said that they thought Apple was going to be mostly supplying Apple Stores with stock at first. I have no idea if that is true, but it looks like I'm going to have to start calling around to see there are any stores that will be getting them in (since we don't have any Apple Stores nearby).
Rumors so far say AT&T stores will get less than 40 per store and strangely Steve said to not come to the Applestore for one as there will be huge line ups.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 09:22 PM

Steve is probably making AT&T punish everyone that tried to double-cross him by trying to get their names on those no-no wait lists.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2007, 12:24 AM

Don't forget you will be required to sign up for the $40 data plan.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2007, 01:48 PM

Has AT&T officially stated that the iPhone's data plan is $40? I don't believe they have.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2007, 02:20 PM

No, they haven't officially stated *anything* about the iPhone's cost of service, which is starting to annoy me. I think we can be pretty sure that it will be a minimum $40 voice plan + a $30-$40 data plan, though. I have trouble believing that it would be higher than $80 a month combined.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 04:12 PM

I still am annoyed at the lack of details about the phone and contract details. If anyone has any idea let me know

1. If I buy an iPhone at an Apple Store can I just pop in my SIM and get right on and start calling? I was under the impression that the phone is a sealed unit and I cannot put my existing SIM in.

2. Is the phone a 'World Phone'? I plan to go o London and Germany and have international dialing and receiving on my phone.

3. Does the Apple Bluetooth Headset come with the phone or will I have to buy it at an extra charge?

4. I have a first gen. PowerBook G4 17" with Bluetooth 1.1 Is the phone backwards compatible to BT 1.1?

Thanks for any answers to these questions.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 05:20 PM

1. There is a SIM slot.

2. It is a quad-band GSM/EDGE phone, so you can make calls overseas, but they have to be through AT&T (and their partners, which will be extremely expensive). Because the phone is locked, you cannot put in a European SIM card with a European phone number.

3. The bluetooth headset is separate.

4. Yes, your iPhone is compatible with your PB bluetooth, although it remains to be seen whether we'll be able to sync via bluetooth.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
1. If I buy an iPhone at an Apple Store can I just pop in my SIM and get right on and start calling? I was under the impression that the phone is a sealed unit and I cannot put my existing SIM in.
The iPhone does have a SIM card slot, but you still need to sign up for 2 years of service to buy it. I'm not sure exactly how Cingular/AT&T plan to handle current users who are upgrading (which I assume is what you mean).
2. Is the phone a 'World Phone'? I plan to go o London and Germany and have international dialing and receiving on my phone.
It's a quad-band + GSM phone, so it should work in most countries, plan permitting.
3. Does the Apple Bluetooth Headset come with the phone or will I have to buy it at an extra charge?
Do you really think Apple is going to include a lucrative accessory like that with the iPhone? Are there any other phones that come with Bluetooth headsets standard?

4. I have a first gen. PowerBook G4 17" with Bluetooth 1.1 Is the phone backwards compatible to BT 1.1?
Yes, but as we've been discussing in this thread, nobody really knows what bluetooth features (beyond using the headset) the iPhone will support.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 06:03 PM

The iPhone does have a SIM card slot, but you still need to sign up for 2 years of service to buy it. I'm not sure exactly how Cingular/AT&T plan to handle current users who are upgrading (which I assume is what you mean).

It's a quad-band + GSM phone, so it should work in most countries, plan permitting.

Yes, but as we've been discussing in this thread, nobody really knows what bluetooth features (beyond using the headset) the iPhone will support.
Thats the thing, I upgraded to my current phone and im not eligible for an upgrade so I shouldn't have to sign for a 2 year contract if I don't need to but it's no big deal, I'm not signing a mortgage or anything...its just a mobile contract.

Do you really think Apple is going to include a lucrative accessory like that with the iPhone? Are there any other phones that come with Bluetooth headsets standard?
I received a motorola BT headset with my phone in the package with my last phone. That why I asked the question. When did you get the info that Apple won't include the headset with the phone? I never seen anywhere they wouldn't.
( Last edited by stevesnj; Jun 18, 2007 at 04:27 PM. )

fhoubi
Senior User
Jun 18, 2007, 11:01 AM

I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2007, 10:28 PM

Anyone know what this port is? (the wider port)

Apple - iPhone - Gallery

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 11:30 PM

That's not a port. That's the volume control buttons.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2007, 11:43 PM

I received a motorola BT headset with my phone in the package with my last phone. That why I asked the question. When did you get the info that Apple won't include the headset with the phone? I never seen anywhere they wouldn't.
I haven't heard anything to indicate that it will be included, and again I would be shocked if Apple would include a profitable accessory like this (and one that most people probably wouldn't need) with every iPhone. Steve Jobs mentioned nothing about it being included during the keynote (he just said that they would be "shipping" these accessories). I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 11:55 PM

How much do you think the BT headset would cost? I'm a little surprised Apple hasn't released this info yet. There is less than 2 weeks to go until launch.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 11:58 PM

I haven't heard anything to indicate that it will be included, and again I would be shocked if Apple would include a profitable accessory like this (and one that most people probably wouldn't need) with every iPhone. Steve Jobs mentioned nothing about it being included during the keynote (he just said that they would be "shipping" these accessories). I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will.
I think apple is notorious for it's pricy not-included accessories.
Custom furniture: Steel, wood, concrete. Concrete counter tops.
http://mhayesdesign.com
http://theconcreature.com

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2007, 12:13 AM

I'm more curious if the headphones that they talked about in the keynote (with the built-in mic that allows you to answer calls) will be included or an extra. It's entirely possible that they'll just include standard iPod headphones and everything else will be extra.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2007, 12:40 AM

I think the headphones with built-in mic will be included. Some states have a law that require cellphone manufacturers to include a hands free device with their phones?

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I think the headphones with built-in mic will be included. Some states have a law that require cellphone manufacturers to include a hands free device with their phones?
Not only will they be included, but I bet you the regular headphones won't even work on the iphone.
Custom furniture: Steel, wood, concrete. Concrete counter tops.
http://mhayesdesign.com
http://theconcreature.com

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2007, 01:12 AM

No, Steve said that regular iPod headphones would work.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2007, 09:15 AM

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/index4.html

There's the hands-free headphones set right there. I assume they'll be included. (I *hope* they'll be included.)

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Apple - iPhone - Gallery

There's the hands-free headphones set right there. I assume they'll be included. (I *hope* they'll be included.)
aren't all headphones 'hands-free'?

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 01:17 PM

How much time before the 6pm opener would you get to the ATT store? I'm thinking I'll get there 3 hours early... if there is too much of a line by that point, then I'll just wait! In AZ, around 3PM, it's going to be 110 degrees outside! I doubt I can do much more than 3 hours in those temps, even in the shade!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 01:51 PM

Umm...I'll be staking out my local store the day before just to be sure. If there is no line, then I'll check it out the following morning.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 02:12 PM

Apple iPhone guided tour

Stores that will sell the iPhone and also buy online at the Apple Online Store (coming soon).

Apple - iPhone - A Guided Tour

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 02:48 PM

Apple iPhone guided tour
Apple - iPhone - A Guided Tour
Things I didn't know or hadn't picked up on before...

It displays PDF and Microsoft Word attachments.
Power button - click to lock or wake up, hold down to power on or off.
Double tap the screen on a movie to switch between theatrical widescreen and full screen.

Things I still don't know now...

Flash support?
MP3 ringtones from your playlist?
Editing and saving those Word files you can look at in the emails.

But overall, that is one nice phone, and I'm impressed.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 22, 2007, 02:57 PM

I'm starting to seriously worry that there is no voice dialing.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2007, 03:04 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't do voice dialing. Although personally I only did that once or twice when I got my RAZR and never did it again. Still, I can see how some people might need it.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 22, 2007, 03:12 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't do voice dialing. Although personally I only did that once or twice when I got my RAZR and never did it again. Still, I can see how some people might need it.
I always use it when I'm driving. I guess the favorites will be easy enough to access while driving, though.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 03:44 PM

ISpeed dialling without the screen might be done with a sequence of presses on the headphones squeezy button or bluetooth headset button, bit like playlists on a shuffle, but with the headset it might look you've got an itch in your ear if you tap lots of times to phone Zack Williams from your contact list .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Editing and saving those Word files you can look at in the emails.
I would say no. Since he's specifically said 'Viewer'. Editing would require an application. Maybe an iPhone version in Word for Mac 2008?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2007, 03:56 PM

Maybe an iWork '07 for near-simultaneous release with a lite version for the iPhone?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 04:02 PM

Does anyone know if you can set custom ringtones? I NEEEEEEEEEED that.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2007, 04:32 PM

Sure you can, but you don't seem to be able to use iTunes Store songs as ringtones. I don't know if you can set normal MP3s. We also don't know if it can have different ringtones for different people (was that what you meant?)

This video they released is just great, because it condenses everything that we say in Steve Jobs' keynote into about 20 minutes, and really highlights some of the distinctive features of the iPhone. I'm VERY happy that you can view Word and Excel documents, since I need to do that for my work. The only big unknown for me is Japanese support. I'm 99% positive that Japanese will be displayed just fine in the browser and email programs, since all iPods have the capability to display Japanese anyway, but Japanese (and some other languages) requires a special front-end for input, and I don't know if they will have that, at least at launch.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 22, 2007, 04:44 PM

Has anyone noticed that the weather and stock apps are powered by Yahoo?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 05:49 PM

... I'm 99% positive that Japanese will be displayed just fine in the browser and email programs, since all iPods have the capability to display Japanese anyway, but Japanese (and some other languages) requires a special front-end for input, and I don't know if they will have that, at least at launch.
Would be nice...since its running OS X it should be able to have language support in the OS or maybe the restore CD (if it has one)

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 08:02 PM

I don't care if it's individual ringtones or not, I HAVE to have my FFX ringtone. I know it's silly but people love it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2007, 08:11 PM

Although a little off topic, I feel bad and sorry for the Macintosh. It's being left behind by the iPhone and Leopard. We haven't seen a brand-new (from the ground up) Mac since last summer.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
Although a little off topic, I feel bad and sorry for the Macintosh. It's being left behind by the iPhone and Leopard. We haven't seen a brand-new (from the ground up) Mac since last summer.
Don't worry, this won't last forever. Our beloved Mac will make a comeback soon I'm sure.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2007, 02:29 AM

I found this article via Google News. It's kind of interesting, since it's from the point of view of people working in an AT&T store, but the slant it has is kind of laughable. The reporter is in the AT&T store and decides it would be the perfect place to conduct a straw poll about whether users are interested in buying an iPhone:

Here, at least, with all these people lined up, was a perfect opportunity to test the waters: How many of these customers were planning to buy an iPhone, the blinking bauble that promises to merge your phone service, your music, and your Web browsing in one gotta-have touch-screen package, starting at a mere $499?
Silence. Blank stares all around. No takers, not even a maybe.
Yeah... The thing is, all of these people were in line to buy other phones already. It's not exactly a shock that they're not going to be buying the iPhone in 5 days. The level of stupidity in these press reports is getting ridiculous.

What’s more, as a former salesman of marine GPS devices, he has seen what a saltwater environment does to touch screens and he is wary that the same thing might happen with the iPhones — if not from sea spray, then from users’ salty finger grease.
And as for the functions, other devices can do just about all of them for less money already, he said.
Yep, a saltwater environment is exactly the same as using your finger on a touchscreen. But I'm glad that they pointed out that you can get cheaper phones that do the same things...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2007, 04:56 PM

More idiocy:

Hyped iPhone may have to fight a flop - New Zealand's source for technology news on Stuff.co.nz

Platt, author of Why Software Sucks. . .And What You Can Do About It, says the iPhone will likely miss the mark despite its cool look in TV commercials, because it was designed more to please engineers than a regular consumer.
"It is really easy to fall in love with a Playboy (magazine) centrefold when you are just looking at it," he said of the iPhone's flash.
"You can imagine iPhone will be the miracle box that solves all problems . . . but when you actually have your hands on it and realise it takes five or six button presses to get something, then you start to get annoyed," he said.
In what bizzarro world is the iPhone the one that is "designed to please engineers?" Where do they get these people?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 05:27 PM

Hahaha! Comparing a device like the iPhone to a Playboy Centerfold. Yeah... good one.

And by his logic, Engineers love to erroneously press buttons?

All of these people crying out "THE IPHONE WILL BE A FLOP!!" must be the exact same people who cried "THE IPOD WILL BE A FLOP!!" I think they come out of hiding every time Apple releases an all new product.

Oh well, more people to laugh at when they are proven wrong.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2007, 09:08 PM

What did I say? $40 for the data plan.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 25, 2007, 09:26 PM

Look, even if the iPhone flops, Motorola and Nokia both have noted that just the release of the iPhone has the potential to change the market for smartphones. So even if the iPhone isn't a sales success, it will more likely than not still leave a big mark on the industry. In my case, I never really looked at smartphones until after Jobs announced the iPhone (mostly because I associated "smartphone" with bulky HTC units, always forgetting about Nokia's lineup of Symbian phones, but the iPhone is still, at least, a perception-altering device), and I'm sure that's the case for many other consumers.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2007, 01:27 AM

Highlights from another doubter. Of course, he has some valid points, too (in an "I read the iPhone specs and am now repeating basic facts about the device" kind of way).

12. Text entry won't work well. There is no way - no way! - that the virtual keyboard on the iPhone's touch screen interface will work as well as the physical keyboards found on BlackBerries or most other devices. Most assuredly, entering text will be a frustrating, convoluted affair. Complaints about typing have already begun to surface, like this early usage report by Bruce Nussbaum of Newsweek.
No need to actually try it, I guess. It's obviously going to be bad.

11. It's ugly! There, it had to be said. The iPhone's awkward, neo-futuristic design looks like something out of an old Star Trek episode. Remember the me-too styles and hairdos that were in vogue at the tail end of the 80's? The iPhone feels like that, and it likely marks the end of the relatively pleasing design aesthetic that marked Apple's rise to grace.
Ugly. Right. Next?

9. Sensitive screen = scratches. It's extremely easy to scratch the front of the iPod. It will be really easy to scratch the front screen of the iPhone, even with its glass faceplate. This is a neurotic concern, perhaps, but it's still valid, especially considering the US$500 price tag for the low-end model.
What on earth does the "sensitiveness" of the screen have to do with scratches? Does he even know how the iPhone screen works?

6. Touch screens lose their sensitivity. The hard reality of using a touch screen on the go is that, over time, it will lose sensitivity and begin to malfunction. Ask anyone who has toted their Treo or Palm Pilot around in a bag or pocket for a few years.
I guess I just answered my own question. He's comparing two totally different types of technology and doesn't even know it. But hey, that's why (Australian) PC World pays him the big bucks.

k2director
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 01:43 AM

What a jackass. This is why Apple has roundly trounced the competition in the MP3 field. Most people just don't understand matching product design to a mainstream consumer. "But it doesn't have an FM radio!...It doesn't have a voice recorder!....It's $50 more than my Nomad!....I can't take out the battery! Blah blah blah." None of that stopped the iPod, and none of this bozo's complaints will stop the iPhone.

Also, a remarkable number of tech "journalists" seem to think this will be the only iPhone Apple ever launches, that the iPhone will never evolve. What happens in 9 months or so, when there's a 3G iPhone, perhaps with GPS built in? When Apple is renting $3 movies on the iTunes Store, seamlessly playable on the iPhone? When Apple begins to work with some third party developers to launch new collections of apps?

The iPod continually evolved. The iPhone won't? Of course it will. And most of these doomsayers' objections will go the way of the Dodo....

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 10:53 AM

I wonder if with my new (Just ordered) BMW X5 with the ipod connection AND bluetooth.. if I can kill two birds with on stone and use the iphone for both the iPod music library and the iphone part for the bluetooth phone connect? That would ROCK if so!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 12:50 PM

In what bizzarro world is the iPhone the one that is "designed to please engineers?" Where do they get these people?
That sums it up best.. most of the anti-iPhone "hype" I've read can only make sense in a bizzarro world..
Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules