Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape 7.02 won't connect (using 0S9.2.2)

Netscape 7.02 won't connect (using 0S9.2.2)
welderpm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2004, 08:29 PM

Netscape 7.02 loads but doesn't connect so I get a blank (Untitled) screen. Open a new tab and type in an URL and get the same thing. Imac 400, 0S 9.2.2, 256 MB, dial up connection. I tried trashing all Netscape and Mozilla files and then reinstalled the 7.02 Netscape. I can connect to the internet through remote access but it doesn't do me any good. I am assuming it can't find my preferences yet everything I can think of is filled in.ie, TCPIP, remote access etc. Thanks for any insight.

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by welderpm:
Netscape 7.02 loads but doesn't connect so I get a blank (Untitled) screen. Open a new tab and type in an URL and get the same thing. Imac 400, 0S 9.2.2, 256 MB, dial up connection. I tried trashing all Netscape and Mozilla files and then reinstalled the 7.02 Netscape. I can connect to the internet through remote access but it doesn't do me any good. I am assuming it can't find my preferences yet everything I can think of is filled in.ie, TCPIP, remote access etc. Thanks for any insight.
Can I ask why are you still using OS 9?
i hate project managers.

welderpm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
Can I ask why are you still using OS 9?

Sure! Two reasons and maybe you have an opinion on one of them. The first is I have elderly parents(80+) who live 100 miles from me and have been using an imac that was set up with OS 9 and Netscape. I am afraid of the learning curve if I set their machine up with 0SX. Also I find it much easier to bail them out of a problem when they can walk me through their problem on the phone and I am running the same system. Number two: I purchased 0S 10.1.3 years ago but never installed it because of the above reason and I kept hearing about how slow and buggy it was on the older (400?) imacs. I am not opposed to installing X but should I get a newer version or is 10.1.3 ok? But I use to run Netscape 7 on this fine. Thanks for listening

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 09:20 PM

Sure! Two reasons and maybe you have an opinion on one of them. The first is I have elderly parents(80+) who live 100 miles from me and have been using an imac that was set up with OS 9 and Netscape. I am afraid of the learning curve if I set their machine up with 0SX. Also I find it much easier to bail them out of a problem when they can walk me through their problem on the phone and I am running the same system. Number two: I purchased 0S 10.1.3 years ago but never installed it because of the above reason and I kept hearing about how slow and buggy it was on the older (400?) imacs. I am not opposed to installing X but should I get a newer version or is 10.1.3 ok? But I use to run Netscape 7 on this fine. Thanks for listening
It was true that OSX use to be buggy but not anymore. It actually gives the biggest improvement on slower machine. You will not be disappointed. There is a little learning curve but its not bad and in short time you will be very use to it.

Also, OSX can run OS 9 inside of it so if you ever need to help your grandparents out you can just launch OS 9 within OSX and thats it.

I highly recommend getting the newest version of the OSX which would be Panther and running all the software updates.

Netscape is a dead browser and there are plenty of great options that surpass Netscape. Safari being one of them.

Hope that helps.
i hate project managers.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 10:35 PM

Sounds like it could be a temporary DNS issue with your ISP. That's happened to me from time to time. You didn't mention if other browsers like IE work, or if you can access the internet from any other app (Remote Access doesn't count as it doesn't actually do anything that uses DNS).

And incidentally I'd highly recommend upgrading to OS X. For light use like that it's virtually uncrashable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules