Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Linux PPC 2000 vs OSX on C600 G3 ZIF

Linux PPC 2000 vs OSX on C600 G3 ZIF
catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2002, 12:42 PM

I have a C600 sitting around doing nothing. It has a G3 280 ZIF, 13gig IDE, IX3D Ultimate Rez, and a Yamaha 4x4x16 CDRW. I have a Linux PPC 2000 CD and all the versions of OS X (and XPostFacto.) Ahhhh, what to do?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2002, 01:09 PM

Well, do you already have OSX on another machine?

If not, for the sake of trying it out, I'd go with OSX.

Linux will run better on the machine though, and you'll have to get used to configuring via a command line shell. For a server I'd run YellowDog linux and get the performance you want out the of hardware.

For the ability to run OSX, I'd install it and see how it works. You'll likely find its a little pokey, but then again those machines are a bit long in the tooth.

RAM and hard drive space is the other issue-OSX likes a lot of RAM and Linux can get by on less of both if you are willing to forego some optional software installations.

catzilla1228  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2002, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the reply,
I have OS X running on a few machines. The C600 has 80 Megs, that may cause me to lean towards Linux. I am using a 6400/G3 as a server. I suppose I could boost the ram up to 144 if I swapped the 32's in the C600 for the 64's in the 6400. I don't if that would make much difference in OS X.
I toyed with the idea with using the 6400 with Linux/OS X but thought the G3 L2 would be a PIA.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 02:42 PM

Actually, the upgrade cards with L2 isn't that bad. Ryan Rempel has taken care of that, too with the L2Cache application at the site he has hosted the software for xPostFacto installer.

You boot into 9, setup your cache with the software you have for configuring it in os9 (that came with the card). Then, run the L2CacheConfig software to grab the settings and save them to a text file (by default on your desktop).

Then you boot OSX, and run the L2CacheConfig app, and it will automatically find and configure and set it to enable the cache on reboots.

Works quite well. I've set this up on 3-4 of this generation machine with upgrade cards from varied manufacturers without a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules