Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Airport questions

Airport questions
kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2003, 10:49 AM

I just got a new base station and have some questions. I had previously been using my G4 to share my DSL connection with my iBook via airport.

1) Do I have to turn off Airport on my G4 to get it to use the LAN port on the Base Station? It seems to always use Airport even if Ethernet is at the top of the list in the Network prefs. Is there an advantage to using the LAN port vs. Airport? Speed? Anything?

2) What's the difference between "Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT)" and "Share a range of IP addresses (using only DHCP)"? These are prefs in the Network tab of the Airport Admin Utility.

3) I turned on encryption and enabled the Closed Network checkbox. Is there anything else I should do? I asked this before regarding my ad hoc network and someone responded about manually assigning MAC addresses and IP numbers. I don't see where to do this. Is the former the same as "Create a closed network"? Does the latter have something to do with question #2?

I haven't tried printer sharing yet, but will be doing so shortly so I might have more questions

thanks,
kman

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2003, 10:54 AM

Okay, I found the Access Control tab. Duh. This says it will allow only certain clients to "access the internet". Does it prevent everyone else from accessing my airport network or does it just not route them to the internet? In other words, is this a security thing to prevent people from accessing my network or is meant to prevent some users of the network from accessing the internet (kids computers, for instance)?

What's RADIUS?

kman

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
1) Do I have to turn off Airport on my G4 to get it to use the LAN port on the Base Station? It seems to always use Airport even if Ethernet is at the top of the list in the Network prefs. Is there an advantage to using the LAN port vs. Airport? Speed? Anything?
I'm not sure whether you're refering to the G4 or the Base Station. If it's the base station, there should be an option that enables airport-to-airport bridging. You want that off.

There is an advantage for using the LAN port on either the G4 or the base station - it will generally be faster, particularly if your hub/switch is capable of full-duplex operation.

2) What's the difference between "Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT)" and "Share a range of IP addresses (using only DHCP)"? These are prefs in the Network tab of the Airport Admin Utility.
The first option will hand out DHCP address on the inside (i.e. airport) side of the base station, and use NAT to convert them all to the single outside address (i.e. WAN port) of the base station. This option is what most people will want.

The second option will hand out a range of addresses via DHCP that your ISP gave you. In today's world, this is a very rare occurence. ISP's generally don't hand out a range of addresses anymore, unless you're signing up for business services.

3) I turned on encryption and enabled the Closed Network checkbox. Is there anything else I should do? I asked this before regarding my ad hoc network and someone responded about manually assigning MAC addresses and IP numbers. I don't see where to do this. Is the former the same as "Create a closed network"? Does the latter have something to do with question #2?
Setting up a closed network means that the user must know the network name (SSID) before they're allowed to connect.

This says it will allow only certain clients to "access the internet". Does it prevent everyone else from accessing my airport network or does it just not route them to the internet?
I would think it prevents them from any access to the base station, but since I don't have a newer base station, I can't say for sure.

What's RADIUS?
It's an access control server that lists usernames and passwords. Large companies use it to prevent having to run around to every wireless access point (i.e. Airport) and enter usernames/passwords into every one. Rather, they put in the address of the Radius server and the Airport checks with the Radius server for the user's username and password.

Wade

prae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 12:17 PM

As far as your first question goes, multihoming in OSX will handle that. Open up System Prefs, and in the the Network Prefpane, select 'Network Port Configurations' from the popup menu. Drag
"built-in ethernet' above airport, and your tower will use the Ethernet connection before it uses the airport connection, when it's available.

This applies for everything, so drag everything you use in the order of your preference.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by wadesworld:
I'm not sure whether you're refering to the G4 or the Base Station. If it's the base station, there should be an option that enables airport-to-airport bridging. You want that off.
Let me explain further. I have an Airport card in my G4 and my iBook. Since the G4 is just sitting there next to the Base Station, I want to use the ethernet port on the G4 connected by cable to the LAN port on the Base Station. I want to use Airport with my iBook.

I ended up just disabling the Airport config from my G4 Network prefs and this seems to work okay.

Does the Base Station have its firewall always on unless you start adding ports in the NAT tab?

Thanks for answering all of my questions. It's been a big help!

kman

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by prae:
As far as your first question goes, multihoming in OSX will handle that. Open up System Prefs, and in the the Network Prefpane, select 'Network Port Configurations' from the popup menu. Drag
"built-in ethernet' above airport, and your tower will use the Ethernet connection before it uses the airport connection, when it's available.

This applies for everything, so drag everything you use in the order of your preference.
Actually, if I leave the Ethernet and Airport on, it connects to the Base Station using both ports. Each network port gets a separate IP address (10.0.1.3 for ethernet and 10.0.1.4 for airport). That seems like it will be seriously confusing.

kman

Forum Links
Forum Rules