Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I gloat over my new Power Mac!

I gloat over my new Power Mac!
BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 11:34 PM

With all the joy in the PowerBook forum and things rather quiet here, I thought I'd spread the love.

I got a new dual-867 Power Mac at work last fall. It was a nice upgrade from my old dual-450, which was much loved and had undergone numerous upgrades but was getting kind of pokey.

But before our fiscal year ends in June, I'm ordering a few new Macs for the office. I suspect that next year I won't have any surplus funds so I won't be getting any new machines for a while, so I want to upgrade while I can. I'm speccing out some alternatives for folks in the office -- 1GHz iMacs are our standard configuration -- and suddenly it occurs to me: what the hell is the matter with me?! Why am I not getting MYSELF a new Mac and handing this 867 down to someone for whom it will be a huge upgrade and better than an iMac?

So I ordered myself a new dual-1.25GHz Power Mac with SuperDrive, and an extra gig of RAM from Crucial.

It should be here soon. I hope the power supply replacement for the 867 gets here before I have to pass it along.

I'm looking forward to getting some face time with these iMacs, too; I'm seriously considering getting one for myself at home. We get them with 512MB of RAM in the internal slot, and at a good price.

There's nothing quite like getting new toys.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2003, 05:05 AM

I only have 2 questions for you,
1. Where do you work,
2. Can I get a job there after this war thing is over and I get released from active duty?!!

Funny thing is I was unemployed for over 3-4 months and trying to find a job.. I just get a new job with a library doing IT stuff and guess what, 3 weeks later I get activated

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

derbs
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 05:30 AM

yeah i just upgraded from a quicksilver dual 1gig machine, to a dual 1.25gig MDD when we got burgled. There was a big difference, probably due to the DDR ram and the better graphics card.

But it has just broken after 3 weeks

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2003, 09:11 AM

I still gloat over my dual gig QS almost a year later. However, my Sawtooth 450 is getting a "little long in the tooth" as they say. Since you've got all those surplus funds this year, why not buy me a dual 1.2 while you're at it? Steve, the staff artist will love you for it.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

BrunoBruin  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by bartman00:
I only have 2 questions for you,
1. Where do you work,
2. Can I get a job there after this war thing is over and I get released from active duty?!!
Sure, come on over!

I work at a college and I have to say, there are times when I love my job... chiefly when I get a new Mac.

We're usually on a three-year replacement cycle for desktops, so in theory this fall we'd replace the 450s we got in 2000 (some of the single-processor 450s are actually Yikes! boxes that date to 1999). But with the economy in a swoon, our budgets are going to be tight for a few years, so I'm buying a few new machines now and will domino them down the line.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2003, 11:47 AM

yeah well, technically a 3 year AVERAGE replacement cycle

that means that you can get a new machine every year and pass along your old one to the poor folks so they get a replacement desktop.

:-)

fb

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2003, 02:10 PM

I just got a job doing IT stuff at a library 3 weeks before I got activated They're all Windows and my co-workers hate mac but it's a good job.

I interviewed for a great job before that with OSU university. It was for a small section of the university. They where mixed Mac and Win and seemed to embrase both... my dream! They had a PILE of MDD macs in a corner, this was about 2 weeks after they started shipping. Alas.. I didn't get a call back from them.. prehaps they saw me eyeing those new MDD macs a little to much
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

BrunoBruin  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 02:48 PM

The administration here is almost entirely Wintel, with the exception of my office which is a proud beacon of freedom and nonconformity! We will use Macs as long as I have breath in my body! But I believe the last figures I saw said about 30 percent of the faculty are Mac users and the students are split about 50/50, which ain't bad.

My new Power Mac is HERE! I thought it was an April Fool's joke when the computer store called to say it was in. Ah, now to start transferring files and setting it up. One of life's true pleasures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules