Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Software piracy == Childish Stupidity

Software piracy == Childish Stupidity
James L
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 01:42 AM

Mature adults BUY products they like....

Children whine about them, then steal them, then try to justify to everyone else why they STOLE they product.

I say all of the people who don't fit into the first thought should grow up!

If you want the game, pay for it. If you don't, don't pay for it and don't play it. This is such a simple concept it defies belief that people don't get it.

Sorry, but after the recent rash of posts with people trying to justify theft I just had to get that off of my chest. I know the mature adults won't be offended by it, and for the people that are... I guess I couldn't care less.

busket68
Banned
Mar 30, 2004, 01:58 AM

I consider myself mature enough to not give money to a company that grew up and was nurtured throughout my childhood, and I supported them, touted them, and was proud of them. Then they sold out to the WORST ****ING COMPANY POSSIBLE. I will never give them another cent. In fact, I would do the opposite to them. I will pirate their games, distribute the pirated copies, and help people find cracks. Bungie shall die.

- Ca$h

James L  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 02:02 AM

I rest my case, you have proven my point completely.

I wish you well with such a useless, and childish, endevour. You must be very proud.

Cheers.

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2004, 02:19 AM

As retarded as this whole subject is, anyone pirating Halo for the Mac isn't probably hurting Bungie at all. My guess is that any money Bungie has seen for Halo has been long since paid, and the ones getting the money now are the porting houses.

So you're out to screw MacSoft in some stupid attempt to "hurt" some other company? That's a sure fire way to get more games ported to the Mac

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by James L:
I wish you well with such a useless, and childish, endevour.
If stealing were useless, no one would do it. That's why punishments must be used to negate the benefits of stealing.

busket68
Banned
Mar 30, 2004, 02:24 AM

You think Macsoft is the only one making money? Please. I'll buy UT2004, and other games, but NOT halo.

- Ca$h

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by James L:
Mature adults BUY products they like....

Children whine about them, then steal them, then try to justify to everyone else why they STOLE they product.

I say all of the people who don't fit into the first thought should grow up!

If you want the game, pay for it. If you don't, don't pay for it and don't play it. This is such a simple concept it defies belief that people don't get it.

Sorry, but after the recent rash of posts with people trying to justify theft I just had to get that off of my chest. I know the mature adults won't be offended by it, and for the people that are... I guess I couldn't care less.
I can't justify stealing software, and I won't try. Nevertheless, I steal it. Am I a child for doing so? Perhaps. Does it really matter? Not really.
If you're such a "mature" individual, then why are you foaming at the mouth in an online message board about other people not paying for a video game?
But, doesn't really matter.
jesse ;-)

Hydra
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
I can't justify stealing software, and I won't try. Nevertheless, I steal it. Am I a child for doing so? Perhaps. Does it really matter? Not really.
If you're such a "mature" individual, then why are you foaming at the mouth in an online message board about other people not paying for a video game?
But, doesn't really matter.
jesse ;-)
Because of the fact that it has been publicly stated that Mac Halo has been a hugely pirated game. Other developers will use this as an excuse not to produce/port games for/to the Mac. We already have a small enough market share as it is, do we need to give more excuses to not make games for the Mac? Then when the Mac platform is eventually killed you can go buy a nice Windows box and lament the fact that Macs no longer exist and wonder why.

-Jerry C.

PS: To my delight the original version of Halo for the Mac didn't have to have the CD in the drive, thanks to the pirates they put the CD-in-the-drive requirement back in the subsequent updates. Thanks allot pirate scum.
( Last edited by Hydra; Mar 30, 2004 at 03:42 AM. )

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2004, 04:59 AM

STFU ??? Can't this threads go to the lounge please ?
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

mrgreen4242
Mar 30, 2004, 06:40 AM

Arguing on the internet is alot like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarted.

PS No offense is meant to Special Olympiads. They are most likely superior in every way to the people they are being compared to in this fairly-humerous analogy.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Hydra:
Because of the fact that it has been publicly stated that Mac Halo has been a hugely pirated game. Other developers will use this as an excuse not to produce/port games for/to the Mac. We already have a small enough market share as it is, do we need to give more excuses to not make games for the Mac? Then when the Mac platform is eventually killed you can go buy a nice Windows box and lament the fact that Macs no longer exist and wonder why.

-Jerry C.

PS: To my delight the original version of Halo for the Mac didn't have to have the CD in the drive, thanks to the pirates they put the CD-in-the-drive requirement back in the subsequent updates. Thanks allot pirate scum.
If you're buying a mac to game on then you've bought the wrong rig. I'm a CS student. My mac is a tool. When I game, I do so on my PC or console.
Get over it.
jesse ;-)

lenox
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
If you're buying a mac to game on then you've bought the wrong rig. I'm a CS student. My mac is a tool. When I game, I do so on my PC or console.
Get over it.
jesse ;-)
I agree. A PC costs just about as much as a console, as well. They both do one thing well : entertain. My mac costs many many times as much as my PC and my consoles combined. On it, I make a living.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
I agree. A PC costs just about as much as a console, as well. They both do one thing well : entertain
Confucius says: Watching a PC crash and be obstinate is quite entertaining, unless it's your own.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Confucius says: Watching a PC crash and be obstinate is quite entertaining, unless it's your own.
Either you haven't used a PC in a long time or you just refuse to see the truth. XP has come a long ways and is actually a pretty decent OS. I happen to prefer X to XP any day, but that doesn't mean XP is a POS.

Look, all I'm trying to say is to use the right tool for the job. If you want to get serious work done, then a mac might be your ticket. If you're trying to get your game on, then use a console or PC...

Or you could just sit around bitching about it like the original poster has chosen to do
jesse ;-)

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2004, 03:32 PM

So far, I'm seeing this as a compendium of thoughts that have gotten a lot of other threads closed in the past little while. I appreciate some of the arguments in the other piracy thread, but so far this one seems childish and useless. Can someone give me a good reason this one should be allowed to go on?
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

James L  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 03:58 PM

As the original poster Blizzard, I can honestly say nope... lock it.

As someone up this thread pointed out, arguing on the internet is a hopeless cause. Truth be told I would have been happy if the thread had been locked after I had ranted.

It just amazes me that people justify their thefts, that's all. Adults on a mission to screw over a software company? Try walking in a park. Try going to a movie. Surely there must be better things to do with your time then endevour to screw over a company be stealing and distributing the product?

Your point of view that this thread is a compendium of thoughts previously stated is close... this thread was started as a reaction to those threads.

The people that feel the Mac is not a gaming platform and we shouldn't even try to make it so only justifies hardware and software manufactuers to not develop for the mac. But, that is their opinion and they are more than justified in having it. The people that come online to brag about stealing software just plain don't get it, and make it worse for the rest of it.

So, close it up, lock it up, shut 'er down. I just had to vent at some childish behaviour!

Cheers,

James

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2004, 09:36 AM

Regardless of what people may say or do, talking about it here isn't going to stop anyone from downloading their favorite app or game. It's too readily available, always has been and always will. To ask a question about the post calling it childish, etc...Not everyone has enough money to go out and buy a game just to see if they like it. (insert gripe about Law and Order crashes here) What are people supposed to do if they want to try the game before they buy it if there isn't a demo available? To me that's like saying I want this car and I have no need to test drive it. I don't condone piracy, but people are going to do what they want regardless of the opinion of a few. On the lighter side, music is the same thing as pirating software, and I honestly don't know one person who has never downloaded a song from the net. I would be extremely impressed if someone could prove that they have NEVER pirated something.

<open to flames>
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Forum Links
Forum Rules