Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thoughts on new 15"

Thoughts on new 15"
James L
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 09:34 PM

Hey all,

Day 2 on my new 15". My model is:

1.5Ghz G4
128MB VRAM
80GB 5400rpm HD
512MB ram
blah blah blah

So, my thoughts so far:

It is built rock solid. No wobble, feels great. The lid has a bit of uneveness, there is a gap on the right side when closed, but not on the left. Couldn't care about this though, my iBook was the same way. It is stable resting on a table.

I thought at first the screen looked great, and for the most part it does. It is MUCH brighter than my old iBook screen, but when I switched to a dark background I found one pixel stuck on blue. It isn't noticed at all except against dark backgrounds. The sucky thing is that it is almost in the middle of the screen. I am getting used to it, and understand that getting a picture perfect LCD screen is a pipe dream at these prices everytime... with millions of pixels there will be bad ones from time to time.

I xbenched it. here were my totals:

Plugged in, highest performance: 139
On battery, reduced performance: 109

I have been playing Halo on it all day today, and with some tweaking it runs fine. In one scene there were 14 enemies on the screen, and the frame rate dropped. I am pretty sure the "bad guys" are CPU and RAM intensive, and if I only have 512MB ram this could be a bottleneck for it. With up to 5-8 bad guys on the screen I had no frame rate stutters on medium setting.

The hard drive is super quiet, and I don't think I have kicked on the fan at all yet. The superdrive is a bit noisy when it is taking in and spitting out discs, but runs just fine.

All in all, this machine rocks. The one bad pixel visible when I am working on dark screens put a bit of a knot in my stomach but, well, that's life. Everything else about this machine is fantastic, and I am glad I waited.

I will be plugging my guitar into garageband tonight and see how that goes.

Cheers!

James

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by James L:
Hey all,

1.5Ghz G4
128MB VRAM
80GB 5400rpm HD
512MB ram
blah blah blah

same here

It is built rock solid. No wobble, feels great. The lid has a bit of uneveness, there is a gap on the right side when closed, but not on the left. Couldn't care about this though, my iBook was the same way. It is stable resting on a table.
Same here, and your right it doesn't bother me at all, and I didn't notice it untill I looked for it.

thought at first the screen looked great, and for the most part it does. It is MUCH brighter than my old iBook screen, but when I switched to a dark background I found one pixel stuck on blue. It isn't noticed at all except against dark backgrounds. The sucky thing is that it is almost in the middle of the screen. I am getting used to it, and understand that getting a picture perfect LCD screen is a pipe dream at these prices everytime... with millions of pixels there will be bad ones from time to time.
Same here, which is odd that it is the same thing and spot I have mine, makes me think that its a defect, that there might be a wire back there or something, cause it didnt show up until about 1.5 hours into use.
Mr. CaN

sbc
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 10:12 PM

Anyone mind showing a print screen? A webpage and text document side-by-side.
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 10:35 PM

Tell me, does it cook hamburgers faster than the last 15" aluminum powerbook (aka george foreman grill) g4?
Aloha

James L  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 11:06 PM

Update:

It handles Garageband like a pro, and mixes down in pretty decent time to iTunes.

I haven't noticed excessive heat at all, either with GB or playing Halo. I do keep it on a coolpad most of the time, however.

MrCaN,

My stuck pixel is almost midline, about 2 inches from the top of the screen, and is blue. et toi?

GILBERT948
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 11:13 PM

Hey all,

1.5Ghz G4
128MB VRAM
80GB 5400rpm HD
512MB ram
blah blah blah
This is the same machine I just turned in my order for. I did get the 512 ram in 1 dimm rather than 2 though. I'm ready for it to be here.

Joe
iBook 800 G4 640MB 10.3
iBook 600 G3 256MB 10.2.8

15" 1.5 ghz 1gig mem, 80 gig 5400 HD, 128 vram POWERBOOK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules