Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger install problem... suggestions?

Tiger install problem... suggestions?
version
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 11:02 AM

Ok, here's the scoop.

I have Tiger installed on a Powerbook, and now want to install it on another PB since I'm selling the old one. The problem is that the Tiger DVD is bombing out on me when I try to install it. Not sure if it's the DVD or the drive in the other PB.

Anyway, is there a way to install it over the network from the working PB? Perhaps Target disk mode?

If that doesn't work, how do I clone the install DVD?

Cheers for any help.
A Jew with a view.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 11:20 AM

boot the second powerbook (that won't read the OS install disk) in Firewire Target Disk mode, plug it into the old Powerbook and see if you can install it that way. Otherwise, you could download the trial of Deja Vu and try cloning the old one to the new one. (I'm running a clone of my OS with it right now, but it's not done yet, so I can't vouch for its quality, yet)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 11:25 AM

Cheers Chris. I'll give that a bash, hope the firewire target mode works.

One other thing. If this fails, is it possible to actually make a copy of the Tiger install DVD? The DVD drive in the wonky PB seems to work with other DVDs, but not the install one. So I'm thinking that a copy of the Tiger disk might work.

Thanks.
A Jew with a view.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 04:02 PM

You are going to read some people telling you that you can and you can not, everyone tells his / her history I guess. I was able to do a copy just with Toast 6.1, just choosing the 'Copy' option and done.

If you have an external FireWire burner that also reads DVDs, you could use it to install Tiger. I had to use it with a Pismo that has a died DVD drive.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 07:17 PM

^^^ Yup, I used Toast in the end (didn't realise it could copy boot disks). Everything sorted now, so a happy pup I am.

Cheers folks.
A Jew with a view.

Forum Links
Forum Rules