Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Michigan readers - where are you?

Michigan readers - where are you? (Page 2)
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 01:35 AM

Grew up in Bloomfield Hills and lived in Ann Arbor for 5 years. Moved to Chester County, PA about 1 year ago.

And, yes, Zingerman's deli is truly great.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Steve
Michigan is a great state to visit. I've lived there for 20 years (at school in Indiana now, sadly) and it's always nice to go back. The beaches are beautiful, the local beer is great, and the people are generally pretty nice.

If you're in West Michigan, definetly head to downtown Grand Rapids and check out the resturants and bars. The museums are great, there are free concerts all summer, and the nightlife is fun and safe.

Hit me up if you're going to be in the Grand Rapids area and I'll take you out for a beer
Don't forget about The BOB in Grand Rapids! Great place to meet people!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2006, 09:37 AM

I can't say much about pubs and microbrew pubs in Michigan; I moved away a long time ago. I CAN say Michigan is a great place, and not at all homogeneous; go somewhere like Detroit, then to Grand Rapids and you'll see a pretty distinctive difference. Then head to Traverse City and look for cherry products...Cherry wine is particularly good when it's really made from cherries.

On the other hand, I can say that "typical American beer" is "less than desireable" for anyone who's had European beers. And I take mild offense at any blanket dismissal of Orval or Chimay; these Belgian ales are REALLY brewed by Trappists and the real proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. A lady friend, on her first taste of Chimay said it's misnamed; it should be called "She WILL." Yummy stuff. I also like darker, heavier beers because they have more and richer flavors, but I have had a couple different German Pilsners that made what Bud and Miller make look like badly filtered water.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I can't say much about pubs and microbrew pubs in Michigan; I moved away a long time ago. I CAN say Michigan is a great place, and not at all homogeneous; go somewhere like Detroit, then to Grand Rapids and you'll see a pretty distinctive difference. Then head to Traverse City and look for cherry products...Cherry wine is particularly good when it's really made from cherries.
Traverse City is also PERFECT for growing grapes. Even more so than most of France. The winerys in that region alone could eat up a month's vacation. Tehre's also 4 or 5 breweries in that county alone. I highly recommend North Peak Brewery in downtown TC.
Originally Posted by ghporter
On the other hand, I can say that "typical American beer" is "less than desireable" for anyone who's had European beers. And I take mild offense at any blanket dismissal of Orval or Chimay; these Belgian ales are REALLY brewed by Trappists and the real proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. A lady friend, on her first taste of Chimay said it's misnamed; it should be called "She WILL." Yummy stuff. I also like darker, heavier beers because they have more and richer flavors, but I have had a couple different German Pilsners that made what Bud and Miller make look like badly filtered water.
One word: Duvel.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Duvel.
have you had delirium? theres 2 different varieties i've tried. tremens (belgian white ale), nocturnum (a darker belgian ale). both are delicious.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2006, 04:15 PM

No. I will look for it. Thanks for the tip. Is it like Duvel?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 09:47 PM

No. I will look for it. Thanks for the tip. Is it like Duvel?
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/delirium-tremens/1039/

similar for sure. maybe if i had them side by side i could make a better comparison, but i remember it being very tasty. maybe a bit fruitier/sweeter than duvel, hard to say/remember. this new BBQ restaurant/bar opened in detroit called slow's (on michigan ave a bit west of old tiger stadium) that has an absolutely killer beer list. i usually just ask the girl i know who works there to surprise me, and this is one she brought out. really good stuff.

i also had a chipotle ale there that rogue makes that was the absolute best accompaniment to a BBQ sandwich EVER. basically just what it sounds like, an ale thats got a touch of smoky spice. seems like it would be an odd combo, but its really tasty.

i like how we can turn almost any thread into a beer thread

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/delirium-tremens/1039/

similar for sure. maybe if i had them side by side i could make a better comparison, but i remember it being very tasty. maybe a bit fruitier/sweeter than duvel, hard to say/remember. this new BBQ restaurant/bar opened in detroit called slow's (on michigan ave a bit west of old tiger stadium) that has an absolutely killer beer list. i usually just ask the girl i know who works there to surprise me, and this is one she brought out. really good stuff.

i also had a chipotle ale there that rogue makes that was the absolute best accompaniment to a BBQ sandwich EVER. basically just what it sounds like, an ale thats got a touch of smoky spice. seems like it would be an odd combo, but its really tasty.
I'll visit there next time I'm in town. Have you ever been to the Berkely Front? They also have an awesome tap system. Last time I was there they had a beer engine and were serving "real ale" from wooden casks. Ben Franklin's quote rang true that night!
Originally Posted by scaught
i like how we can turn almost any thread into a beer thread
You say that as if that's a bad thing!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 08:43 AM

I'll visit there next time I'm in town. Have you ever been to the Berkely Front? They also have an awesome tap system. Last time I was there they had a beer engine and were serving "real ale" from wooden casks. Ben Franklin's quote rang true that night!

You say that as if that's a bad thing!
I have definitely been to the berkeley front, quite an awesome selection there (40 on tap for those wanting to know). beer engine, is that the hand pumped thing (they usually had a couple selections on some hand pumped thingy do).

definitely not a bad thing.

theres a bar in ann arbor called ashleys (right off the diag on state st) that has 60 some beers on tap. staggering.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 20, 2006, 12:25 PM

I'm wondering how many times I've made a drunken fool out of myself in front of fellow MacNN'ers at the local spots.

Picked up some very good double bock at Kraftbrau Brewery in Kalamazoo a couple weeks back after a concert there. They didn't have it stable enough to bottle so I got a couple of growlers to go and oh, did I have fun with those the following week!

Railroader
Banned
Apr 20, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
I'm wondering how many times I've made a drunken fool out of myself in front of fellow MacNN'ers at the local spots.
My best friend from college lives in Ferndale. Across the street from an elementary school. I'm sure we made fools of each other in the same bar at the same time!
Originally Posted by screamingFit
Picked up some very good double bock at Kraftbrau Brewery in Kalamazoo a couple weeks back after a concert there. They didn't have it stable enough to bottle so I got a couple of growlers to go and oh, did I have fun with those the following week!
One of the best nights of my life was at Kraftbrau. Bell's had a southern rock/country band I couldn't get into at their beer garden so we went across the street and partied with this band called "The Weepers". Half bluegrass country/ half alt. rock. We had a blast. Bought a couple of their CDs and made some new friends. Kraftbrau holds a special place in my heart after that night. And they make AWESOME beer!

Ham Sandwich
Apr 20, 2006, 06:27 PM

My best friend from college lives in Ferndale. Across the street from an elementary school. I'm sure we made fools of each other in the same bar at the same time!

One of the best nights of my life was at Kraftbrau. Bell's had a southern rock/country band I couldn't get into at their beer garden so we went across the street and partied with this band called "The Weepers". Half bluegrass country/ half alt. rock. We had a blast. Bought a couple of their CDs and made some new friends. Kraftbrau holds a special place in my heart after that night. And they make AWESOME beer!
First the same Depeche Mode concert, Ferndale and now Kraftbrau.

Dude, are you stalking me?

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2006, 10:01 PM

That's funny.

You go to the Dead Milkmen shows back in the late 80's/early 90's at the Nectarine Ballroom in Ann Arbor too?

Ham Sandwich
Apr 22, 2006, 08:37 AM

That's funny.

You go to the Dead Milkmen shows back in the late 80's/early 90's at the Nectarine Ballroom in Ann Arbor too?
Stop it, man. You're really starting to freak me out!

Saw them there and some place in Detroit back then. And, actually, hung out at the Necto a lot back then, too. Saw Robin Hitchcock, Bob Mould, Ministry, Billy Bragg, Black Flagg and I'm sure some others there that I'm forgetting right now.

Isn't 15 years a little long to stalk someone? Sheesh!

Railroader
Banned
Apr 22, 2006, 10:06 AM

What about the Ten Thousand Maniacs show at the Fox in 1990, where you there too?!?!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 22, 2006, 11:17 AM

Traverse City is also PERFECT for growing grapes. Even more so than most of France. The winerys in that region alone could eat up a month's vacation. Tehre's also 4 or 5 breweries in that county alone. I highly recommend North Peak Brewery in downtown TC.
Unfortunately the last time I visited was a LONG time ago-pre me drinking. I can also recommend the wineries farther south. I have relatives in Pawpaw (west of Kalamazoo), and I spent quite a few summers there. LOTS of wineries, and a "South of France" sort of climate except in winter. Pretty place, too.

One word: Duvel.
I've seen it, and I'll have to try it. (And offer it to the lady I mentioned earlier for HER opinion. It'll be hard to beat "She Will!")

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules