Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Connecting a PB HD externally...possible?

Connecting a PB HD externally...possible?
version
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 12:17 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect an internal 2.5" HD, externally? What I'm wanting to do is, connect my old PB HD to another PB. Is there maybe a cable that could connect it via firewire, or something similar?

Thanks for any help.
A Jew with a view.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2003, 01:10 PM

Well, here's the deal...you can buy an external firewire drive enclosure that will fit notebook size hard drives, such as the ones that come out of the PowerBook.

But if the drive is in an existing PB and it has firewire, you can make it a firewire slave drive by pressing and hold the T key when the PowerBook starts up, this is called Target Disk mode. As soon as you see the FireWire logo on the screen, you can let go and attach it to another PB. The slave will appear on your other PowerBook as a hard drive, and you can do what you need to do. When you are done with the slave, eject the disk on the PowerBook by dragging it to the Trash, and then holding the Power key on the slave PB until it shuts off.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 06:59 PM

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
Is this what you want?

http://www.usm.maine.edu/~phillips/cutie01.jpg
that's exactly what I'm looking for. I managed to buy a 2.5" enclosure, with a firewire connector.

David, I could use the target disk mode, but I wanted to pull the HD out of the PB and use it without having the other PB lying around, cheers for the info.

thanks.
A Jew with a view.

Forum Links
Forum Rules