Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Monitoring access to OS X

Monitoring access to OS X
version
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 04:48 PM

Hi,

I remember that there was a wat to monitor all access to OS X, such as someone trying hack in, or just gain access to directories. I think it involved adding a line, or configuring netinfo to create a log file in the system, which would list all attempts at access. Does anyone remember what it would be?
A Jew with a view.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2003, 09:41 PM

Not Little Snitch or Who's There? by any chance? Niether fully matches your description though.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
Not Little Snitch or Who's There? by any chance? Niether fully matches your description though.
NOt really, but they are good though. This wassoethign really simple, and only required a switch in Netinfo, which created a new log in /Library/Logs. I think I read about it on o'Reilly's website. If I find it, I'll post here for everyone.

Cheers
A Jew with a view.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 07:54 AM

Right, I found out what it was. I need to enable access_log for AppleFileServer in netinfo, and this will create a logfile for anyone trying to gain access to the computer. Only problem is, is that I have to switch it on in netinfo under /config/AppleFileServer, thing is, I don't have the /config entry.

Anyone with any ideas?
A Jew with a view.

Forum Links
Forum Rules