Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > US Thanks Canada for our help

US Thanks Canada for our help
James L
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 09:25 PM

Here is information of the Canadian militaries contributions to the areas hit by Katrina:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Newsroo..._e.asp?id=1739

Here is information on the Urban Search and Rescue Team's deployment:

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/usar/

Here is information about the Canadian Red Cross:

http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=014637&tid=001

My best friend is also there working to set up a communications network.

And here is a thank you letter from the American Ambassador to Canada. An interesting read:

Open Letter to Canada
By U.S. Ambassador David H. Wilkins

"There for Us Again Early and Eagerly"

September 6, 2005
Four years after the devastating terror attacks of September 11, 2001, my country finds itself once again hurting deeply.

And today - just as it did four years ago - Canada has come to our aid early and eagerly.

On behalf of my grateful country: Thank you Canada for once again being there when we need you the most.

Hurricane Katrina is the worst natural disaster the United States has faced in modern history. The death and destruction wrought by this powerful storm is so massive it is difficult to comprehend.

But we do know for certain we cannot face it alone. Just as Canadians helped shoulder our grief and pain in the wake of 9-11, we feel your support now. And it is a real comfort - a reminder that humanity at its best is far more forceful and powerful than any storm.

Eight weeks into my new job as U.S. Ambassador, I have been inspired by the warmth and friendship of the Canadian people as I've traveled your great country. While much emphasis often is placed on a few issues in which we differ, I have found a deep appreciation and respect for each other and a desire to reach common ground.

Now, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I have been truly overwhelmed by the outpouring of aid, offers of support and kind gestures of sympathy coming from every quarter across the country.

Prime Minister Martin and Deputy Prime Minister McLellan immediately offered any help when and where we need it including critical supplies from the National Emergency Stockpile System.

General Hillier offered the assistance of Canadian military forces and three Canadian ships have sailed from Halifax loaded with supplies, generators, helicopters, medical and search teams, and water purification systems.

An elite emergency rescue team from Vancouver has already been deployed and is on the ground near New Orleans working side by side with Louisiana state troopers.

Canada's premiers as well as numerous mayors and other officials have offered help as well - everything from teams of electrical personnel and equipment to paramedics, police, firefighters and medical materials, food, clothing - even offers to house the homeless.

Likewise, Canada's business community is there for us making a tangible difference in the hardest hit areas. Katrina was still battering our shores when Air Canada was implementing its plan to offer transport help. Air Canada was the first foreign carrier to arrive in New Orleans and quickly began its mission of mercy, transporting stranded flood victims to safety.

From the pharmaceutical industry and lumber producers, to Canadian citizens whose generous financial contributions are pouring in, to the many Canadian Red Cross workers who make it their life's work to ease the lives of those in suffering - the United States is profoundly humbled and grateful.

I also want to express my appreciation to Canadians of all faiths. No matter the denomination or religious affiliation, all are playing their important part in this massive relief effort. I believe in the power of prayer and I thank those who are remembering the victims of Hurricane Katrina and praying for the safety and success of all those now involved in rescue and clean-up efforts.

Last week the governor of Mississippi made a statement that has stayed with me. He said, "Disasters like this bring out the best in most people and the worst in some."

Thank you Canada for giving us your very best - your treasure, your talent and your time.

You were there for us in the wake of 9-11.

You're here for us now.

With your continued support, and God's grace, the United States will overcome both the sorrow and the challenges we face.

And we will remember and always honor you who helped us get there.
Linkage:

http://www.usembassycanada.gov/conte...lkins_thankyou

Why did I post this?

It is not for a thank you. It is for all the nay sayers on this board who state that no one does anything for the US. For all the people who say that the US can and should handle the Katrina fallout themselves. For all the idiots who think they are superior.

Truth: there are very few nations sharing a border that are as closely linked as Canada and the US. People are dying in the US, and we are there for them. I can only imagine when natural disaster strikes Canada the US will be there for us. I have travelled the US extensively many times over, and love it (though I often disagree with many of their political policies... though the same can be said of my own government). My best wishes to those in need.

Cheers,

James

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 9, 2005, 09:28 PM

It is good to see that our friends to the north are supporting us, and that our officials have the time to express the sentiments that most of us in the States feel. Thank you Vancouver, and thank you Canada.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks for posting this. I may live and work in the US (and am proud and happy to be here - will be a citizen too, soon), but I am born and raised Canadian. I saw Bill O'Reilly's short rant on CNN last night and was very angry, and so disappointed in CNN (although they "recovered" quickly with an interview with the Canadian US ambassader).

Canada has not ignored those suffering from Katrina. The Vancouver response team arrived on the scene before even many of the US Federal response did. Food, water, blankets are on the way, or have arrived, Naval ships are heading to the area (okay, Canada's Navy has issues, but they don't fail to respond to those in need either).

Canada is not turning a blind eye to this, and CNN just really ticked me off last night. O'Reilly is an Idiot and a dolt.

Money is not the sole solution to the issues of Katrina - especially on a national level. Oh, and a lot of Canadian money HAS been donated, too.

Canada and the US have such a unique relationship in the world - how many other countries have borders literally running through the middle of towns, bars, restaurants - and we do not ignore eachother's crises (I remember the ice storm of 1998, I was living in Quebec then (Rimouski) - the border was vapor then, in terms of Canadian's helping Americans, and vice versa).

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 10, 2005, 10:09 AM

I saw 2 Canadian C130's in Baton Rouge Tuesday night.
Thank you Canada!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2005, 04:34 PM

Thanks Canada!

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2005, 04:40 PM

We're not done yet...
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Links
Forum Rules