Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Scanning Family Photos

Scanning Family Photos
tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 10:37 PM

My parents were recently unpacking boxes from our last move, and it occured to me that we should really digitize our photo collection. We take far less pictures than most families, and my mom actually stopped taking pictures when I reached double digits or so, but we still have at least 2,000 pictures. Scanning them in would just be unbearable, and I assume that using the negatives would produce a better final image. Does anyone have any experience with doing photo digitization on a large scale, for a reasonable price? Any tips would be much appreciated!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 12:56 AM

I just did a project like that. I ended up scanning in like 200 old photos. You could use negatives, or just the photos. Long story short I ended up figuring that once I got the hang of it all I was doing one photo every 30-45 seconds. Not bad.

I'm using an epson scanner I got at Best Buy. The images turned out nice, and it had a built in Negative Scanner.

No matter how you figure it, you'll end up spending a lot of time doing these photos. Just sit down and do 50 a night or something. It helps if you presort them out ahead of time, or have someone there picking out photos for you to scan.

As far as I know, there is no super easy way to do that many. Oh, and some negatives degrade over time, so they might not be as good as you'd think.

OreoCookie
Jul 20, 2005, 07:10 AM

If you use a regular flatbed scanner with option to scan negatives, it'll take you longer, but you end up with higher-quality pics. Make sure you directly catalog them correctly using professional software (e. g. iView or so).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 08:12 AM

I have a 12x18 Umax that is running MagicScan on OS9.

I can get 9 photos on it at once and the software will batch the photos individually.

Silverfast on OSX is lucky to do a single scan.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 08:29 AM

I got an Epson 4870 just so I can scan in my wedding photos ...

It came with these "brackets" that you can lay the negatives on. You can do 110 to large format negs. The wedding photos were medium format. It worked really well.

Did take about 3 months to do.... (about 3 - 4 hrs a night while I was doing other stuff).

Well worth the $500 or so for the scanner.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 08:32 AM

Can anyone recommend a good flatbed scanner that you could scan a stack at a time? My grandmother just passed away on Monday and when we were looking at bunch of old photos, we decided that we want to get them scanned in since many are already fading with age.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 02:57 PM

no. no. no. If you care about getting quality scans you will not use a flatbed with negatives and you will not want to scan prints at all. You will get a "film scanner". It will scan negatives or positive slides (b/w or color). They work at like 3000+ dpi vs. 300 or 600 for a flatbed and they calibrate and focus for each picture in the negative strip.

At worst I'd suggest the KonicaMinolta Dual Scan IV. like $200 or $250.
At best you want one with digital ICE, which uses an infrared channel to detect dust and scratches on the negative and automatically remove it from the scan. $500 or so.

Seriously, I think you only want to undergo a project like this once and you should do it right.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 20, 2005, 03:04 PM

or you could take the negatives and have them scanned for you. Costco does this (not sure of the quality yet). but at 30 cents a pop, it still cheaper than buying a film scanner and doing 2000 pix all by yourself.

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2005, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by memento
no. no. no. If you care about getting quality scans you will not use a flatbed with negatives and you will not want to scan prints at all. You will get a "film scanner". It will scan negatives or positive slides (b/w or color). They work at like 3000+ dpi vs. 300 or 600 for a flatbed and they calibrate and focus for each picture in the negative strip.

At best you want one with digital ICE, which uses an infrared channel to detect dust and scratches on the negative and automatically remove it from the scan. $500 or so.

Seriously, I think you only want to undergo a project like this once and you should do it right.
The problem is that if you want to scan old photo albums, the chances are good that there are no negatives anymore. I think you might get better quality with old-style photos (i. e. those which are not digitally printed yet).

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2005, 11:52 PM

What about something like this? It combines a negative scanner and a print scanner, for very cheap. The resolution is very high, too. I probably wouldn't be printing these images out, but I still would want them to look very nice. How would the Canon compare to those dedicated film scanners you're talking about, memento?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2005, 01:15 AM

Just pretend your family began after digital cameras were invented.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by memento

The Epson 4870 does use DigitalICE and offers 4800dpi. And it will also scan medium and large format negatives..... So the fact that its a flatbad doesn't mean its for scanning contracts only. It is a bit more than 250 though.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2005, 12:10 AM

tavilach-

easy answer: total and utter crap.

if you want a flatbed + negs, get a decent epson (hell, I'd find a Epson 2450 on ebay or something - 2400dpi and firewire). Or pick up one of the aformentioned dedicated neg scanners and sell it when you're done.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2005, 12:29 AM

What makes it "total and utter crap"?

OreoCookie
Jul 30, 2005, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by macroy
The Epson 4870 does use DigitalICE and offers 4800dpi. And it will also scan medium and large format negatives..... So the fact that its a flatbad doesn't mean its for scanning contracts only. It is a bit more than 250 though.
A specialized film scanner will still offer far higher quality and higher speed.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 30, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by tavilach
What makes it "total and utter crap"?
Poor color quality mostly.

ender2002
Senior User
Jul 30, 2005, 06:26 PM

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2005, 06:29 PM

the fact that canon's flatbeds + their software have never been good... there is a reason they're so cheap

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

OreoCookie
Jul 30, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
the fact that canon's flatbeds + their software have never been good... there is a reason they're so cheap
That's not true. I own an Epson scanner, but nowadays, the better Canon scanners are on par with Epson scanners.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ender2002
That's over $1,000 for 3,000 photos !

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Poor color quality mostly.
I don't need the scans to be perfect. Are they noticeably poor at first glance?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 31, 2005, 12:11 AM

You won't notice them on the screen so much, but when you print them out or have them developed and compare them to the originals it is bad.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 12:39 AM

It'd be a lot better than not scanning the photos in at all, though. Hrm.

kman42
Professional Poster
May 9, 2006, 03:12 PM

I'm thinking about embarking on this to make a DVD/video presentation for someone's birthday. This thread hasn't been active for a while, so I'm curious if there are any recent recommendations for doing this?

kman

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 11:46 PM

Maybe I can offer a controversial suggestion if you just need a scanner for a short amount of time. It's not illegal but it's certainly unethical: I call it "rental for free". Many stores offer a very generous "tryout" period for many of their products, scanners included. I used to work for Staples and I used this knowledge at my advantage on many occasion. They give you 30 days to return a product to the store for a full refund, for whatever reason. So if you respect the deadline, you basically rented a high-end machine for free!

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Maybe I can offer a controversial suggestion if you just need a scanner for a short amount of time. It's not illegal but it's certainly unethical: I call it "rental for free". Many stores offer a very generous "tryout" period for many of their products, scanners included. I used to work for Staples and I used this knowledge at my advantage on many occasion. They give you 30 days to return a product to the store for a full refund, for whatever reason. So if you respect the deadline, you basically rented a high-end machine for free!

So I could use like a $2000 scanner for a month, for free? Or are there different policies for the very high-end equipment?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Maybe I can offer a controversial suggestion if you just need a scanner for a short amount of time. It's not illegal but it's certainly unethical: I call it "rental for free".
Exactly.

You know, I wonder if there's some practical way to "share" a device like this among interested people. I say this because I am also interested in scanning in old family photos and negatives, but I also don't have the appropriate equipment.

Maybe if we all pitched in and divided the cost among us and then whoever uses it last could re-sell it here or on eBay or such and re-distribute the money to all the original donors. This plan could work, except for the probable geographical distances involved. Still, if we were willing to pay shipping costs and actually ship it to each other... Well, it's a nice, if improbable, idea anyway.

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by tavilach
So I could use like a $2000 scanner for a month, for free? Or are there different policies for the very high-end equipment?
Unless the policy changed since I left, there's no limit on the price or the quality. Of course, if you buy a 10 000$ color laser printer and use 300$ worth of ink, you better have a good explanation , but for goods that don't contain "consumable" parts, there's no problem. Just be sure to unpack it neatly and return it in resalable condition. On one occasion, I needed a PC urgently and couldn't borrow one in time, so I "bought" a laptop and returned it a few days later (I think you have 10 days for computers, 30 for electronics, be sure to ask). The guy looked a me with a strange look but it's their policy. In fact, the manager at my store frequently told us to encourage customer to buy it right away then try it at home "Sir, I not only give you 5 minutes to try it, I give you a whole 30 days", so they can buy it there confidently, knowing that they can try it with their setup and even check the price elsewhere after buying it.

Of course, I'm not publicly encouraging you to do it, but should you decide to do it, maybe it's best not to tell them blatantly that you only wanted to "borrow" it and find something like you bought a model a little bit too in the high-end for your needs (or that it doesn't match with your curtains )

Just be sure to keep the receipt and pay attention to keep the scanner in pristine condition. I got burnt in one occasion, where I ended up with an unwanted 350$ all-in-one because I lost the bill

You'd be surprised at the numbers of high-end gadgets that got returned after the holidays, by people that only wanted to impress their relatives with their slick PDA and other high-tech gizmos. Or even a set of powerful speakers or the ultimate gaming PC for a LAN party!

[Edit] Of course, some common sense apply when doing this. It's obviously of questionnable morality when the stores loses money, like if you print 1000 pages with a printer, but for things like a scanner or a ditital camera, they just reseal it properly and sell it "as new". If the customer notices it's a return, they sometimes give him a free extended warranty, rarely a monetary discount, but most of the time, they will just pretend the box was opened to show something to a customer and sell it at full price, so it's up to you to make your own judgement...
( Last edited by FireWire; May 10, 2006 at 02:18 AM. )

kman42
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 12:16 PM

I'm thinking of getting a CanoScan 8400F from the Apple store (I have a $50 gift card) and trying it out to see if the quality is sufficient for my needs. I am not a photographer, just a point and shoot guy who captures holidays, vacations, etc. Most of the photos were taken on <$300 point-and-shoot cameras and capture memories rather than artistic elements. I don't foresee myself making additional prints from these photos in most cases, but they might be nice for future screen-oriented projects like DVDs, iMovies, etc. Our wedding photos may be the exception to this and they might be worth getting done professionally.

kman

Forum Links
Forum Rules