Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Liking OS X so far, but...

Liking OS X so far, but...
Siskomac
Jul 2, 2004, 10:28 PM

The MOUSE! Ugh... I am using my MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.

I set it to high speed, which I am used to, but every time the arrow goes over an icon or the close/dock/rollup buttons, it slows down. There's no exact precision like I had with my IntelliMouse in Windows.

I even downloaded IntelliPoint for Mac and the cursor still slows down when it moves over certain areas of the screen. It's driving me nuts!

I also installed USB Overdrive, but it still does it. Is this an unalterable part of Mac OS X?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 10:36 PM

What do you mean it "slows down?" How much RAM do you have?

Siskomac  (op)
Jul 2, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
What do you mean it "slows down?" How much RAM do you have?
I mean the speed is fine until the cursor goes over the buttons in the corner or over icons and the like. It's like it slows to make sure you don't accidentally miss a click.

I have 1.25 GB of RAM

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 10:45 PM

My silly old one button Apple mouse doesn't have that problem. Sounds like an MS problem, not an Apple one.

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 10:45 PM

I have two cmoputers, one uses an Intellimouse Explorer and the other uses a plain beige Kensington Optical Mouse. The feel of the Kensington (with their "Mouseworks" driver) is much smoother and more precise feeling. If you have a chance you might want to try it out!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 11:12 PM

That's very weird. Have you tried a different mouse?

Siskomac  (op)
Jul 2, 2004, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
That's very weird. Have you tried a different mouse?
I've tried the Apple mouse, the IntelliMouse and an old Logitech. All three optical, all three with the same problem.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 11:31 PM

Have you tried, for instance the Apple mouse, with none of the 3rd party mouse drivers installed?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 11:38 PM

For that matter, try them all with no 3rd party drivers installed.

Terri
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 11:47 PM

I use a 3 button Kensington with its drives installed and it doesn't do that. In fact I've never heard of this before.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2004, 11:55 PM

He's not crazy, guys, and its NOT a mouse problem. its an apple "problem". All of Apple's OSes have used mouse acceleration. when the mouse is moved quickly, the mouse speeds up. when it is moved slowly, it slows down for finer movement.

windows uses linear acceleration. the pointer will move the same amount, no matter how fast it it moved.

I built a PC to play counter-strike on way back when, and found myself getting used to the windows mouse. when i went back to my mac, it was maddening. I looked all over to find a way to turn off acceleration. As far as I know, there is no way. Once you get used to it, though, its fine.

-Ryan

graveguy
Jul 3, 2004, 01:31 AM

I agree...I don't think the mouse is actually slowing down because it is hovering over buttons, rather the acceleration curve on the mac is different so it just feels foreign. It is one of the first things I notice when I switch to a PC. It's hard to describe but it just feels wrong. The good news is that you adjust over time (at least I do)...I used to have to use a PC for work and initially I HATED the mouse acceleration and I tried to find ways to change it...after a month or so, I didn't even notice...I don't know if one mouse acceleration curve is better than the other but but I feel for you in having to make the transition, in either direction...It's like going from boxers to briefs or vice versa...

I don't know anything about the MS mouse driver but some drivers will let you tweak the acceleration curve...setting it to a more linear setting might help you adjust...

-GraveGuy

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2004, 02:38 AM

Hmm I never knew this now that I think about it I think I've noticed the diff on windows... always seems sluggish...

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 03:08 AM

You'll get used to it.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2004, 03:12 AM

To my knowledge the newer versions of Windows have mouse acceleration as well, not so unlike what's in OS X. I never notice this problem anymore when I use Win2k and XP after tweaking some settings. IMO the Apple method is superior, but I can see that it might take some getting used to.
( Last edited by itai195; Jul 3, 2004 at 03:22 AM. )

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jul 3, 2004, 03:26 AM

It is programatically possible to turn off this acceleration; I'm sure there are third party apps out there that will do it for you.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2004, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by Siskomac:
I mean the speed is fine until the cursor goes over the buttons in the corner or over icons and the like. It's like it slows to make sure you don't accidentally miss a click.
I've never noticed this. Must be the pagh wraiths.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2004, 08:15 AM

Edit: Oops - I should learn to read...
( Last edited by Mr Scruff; Jul 3, 2004 at 01:14 PM. )

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2004, 10:33 AM

He already did. It says so in the very first post.

Chris

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2004, 01:59 AM

This drove me mad at first too. I have to say though when I was testdriving a 12" PB at my school store the apple method is great for using a trackpad on the PB. However, I do still prefer the windows linear method for using a mouse... I don't need it to slow down... I'm a gamer... my mouse goes where I tell it to! lol

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2004, 02:47 AM

Download sidetrack - it will disable the acceleration for trackpads, maybe it works on mouses as well. "Redmond switcher acceleration in the Advanced section".

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 03:19 AM

The reasons for mouse acceleration becomes apparent when you have to move the pointer across (multiple) 30" display - 7000 odd pixels wide... On a Mac you can just 'flick' the pointer right across multiple screens. I think MS have cottoned onto this idea too. I use PCs and Macs all the time, and I don't notice a particular difference between them.

Is it possible that there's an acceleration control in the 3rd party mouse drivers this guy has got installed ? Maybe it's just set too high. It certainly has to be 'just right' for it to feel natural, otherise it feels like breaking the warp speed barrier - one second your pointer is moving smoothly across the screen, the next it's slammed against the far side (this is on Windows, BTW).

xe0
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2004, 04:09 AM

I know exactly what you mean when you say the mouse cursor slows down.
I had the same problem when moving from WinXP to OSX.

The short answer is, it is OSX.

I cant provide details other than to say- the cursor acceleration in OSX is very different to the way Windows behaves. To a windows user, the OSX mouse feels like it crawls when you move it slightly, and then it screams when u flick the mouse.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it
One thing I will say is, don't try and fight it by downloading some app to make it more windows like. It's actually quite efficient once you get the hang of it.

On these sort of issues- there is no right or wrong. It's simply what you're used to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules