Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Brand new Cheap iBook G4 or brand new Macbook?

Brand new Cheap iBook G4 or brand new Macbook?
christinelinmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 05:25 PM

So i kinda have read through these forums and would like some help. I'm trying to invest in a laptop and i saw at my school they were selling the ibook 12" 1.33gHz, 40gB, 512 for $699. Would it be better to invest in a macbook instead or is this a steal of a deal for a ibook? I"m also concerned with all the bugs of macbook. I basiclly would use my laptop for music, school, and occasionally make a slideshow DVD.
Any suggetions?
Thanks

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 07:41 PM

The MacBook is fine... way faster, way better.

Is is just me or are these threads getting popular?
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

Ouhei
Aug 7, 2006, 08:44 PM

My Macbook has 0 problems and I love it, I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

Cucucachoo
Aug 7, 2006, 09:11 PM

Being that I am tight fisted with my money now as I was when I was in college. I would go with the cheaper of the two, that being the iBook. It's going to have a 5 year life cycle so everything that comes out is going to be supported. But you will notice a major slow down in the years to come with it.

Sure the MacBook is awesome and is so much faster and has a iSight camera and remote. But really, in my experience, i have not used either very much at all. And its not becasue my iBook didnt come with them built in. I have had both things on my WinBlows laptop and as add ons with my iBook. Both could be lived without. On top of that, it comes with integrated graphics and doesn't do a great job on games as an iBook would (and the iBook isnt even great at that).

The only reason i would buy a MacBook right now anyway is to run Windows and i gave up completely on that when i switched to Mac. I have no use for windows and hope to never have to in the future.

So in closing, go with the iBook is my advice and opinion. It will give you many years of use and you will save some dough as long as you dont want or need a iSight and Remote.

Best of luck!
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2006, 11:00 PM

I used to have an iBook and have since upgraded. Personally I wouldn't touch the iBook. It already is a slow computer that is nearly outdated out of the box. I wouldn't really even call it current. The MacBook crushes it in terms of performance and comes with the new Intel chipsets. It also has a much nicer screen. It should be "current' for several years. Were you to buy an iBook, you'd have a really slow computer that you'd probably end up replacing in two years.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 05:19 AM

Maybe one more thing to think about. The iBook does NOT qualify for the free iPod after rebate... and the MacBook DOES qualify. So, that being another $179 off.

Here's my two cents: You're a student... enjoy life... treat yourself to a MacBook.

Just curious... do you go to UCLA? I know they have that pricing right now (UCLA students only... so don't bother calling them unless you know one).

Forum Links
Forum Rules