Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How do i get .avi files to play in QT?

How do i get .avi files to play in QT?
brucejy
Jul 12, 2005, 09:52 PM

I have five lectures in five .avi files. QT refuses to play them. DO I need to buy a codec, or is there some file-renaming trick that I should use? What apps can play .avi files?

Thanks in advance...

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 11:35 PM

It depends on what the codec is. Try installing the 3ivx Quicktime component, and see if that helps. The 5.1 Divx Quicktime component also includes an AVI importer, if the AVI is non-standard.

You can also try VLC or MPlayer, as alternative players.

rjt1000
Senior User
Jul 12, 2005, 11:39 PM

Hi,

Quicktime wont play most avi files. Try one or both of these:

VLC (Video Lan Client) http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

MPlayer http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16623

Best wishes,

Rich

brucejy  (op)
Jul 13, 2005, 08:39 AM

Problem Solved with VLC! Thanks!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 09:17 PM

Its a shame that even with QT pro Apple still cannot provide the proper .avi decoding that FREE programs can play no problem...QT should be able to play any video format-non MP and Real media excluded of course.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

konakazi
Jul 18, 2005, 02:24 PM

VLC is a godsend. To think of all the videos I couldn't watch before I stumbled across it on Version Tracker

Rychiar
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 03:41 PM

quicktime will play AVIs with the right codec, just ridiculously slow even on the fastest machines, video gets choppy on and off. The one reason i would want a PC is avi, u can't watch or burn to dvd avis anywhere near as easily on a mac. Apple needs to get with the program and realize that avi is the video format of choice no ones encodes tv shows or movies to torrents as .mov and most cameras nowadays do avi over that as well
iMac G5 1.8 ghz 20in. 1.5 gigs RAM, 250 gig Harddrive, Fully Wireless
60 Gig Original Overpriced iPod photo
Power Mac G4 450 768 Megs RAM
5 Gig Original iPod (RIP 12-20-04) :(

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rychiar
quicktime will play AVIs with the right codec, just ridiculously slow even on the fastest machines, video gets choppy on and off.
I don't know where you got that from, but I haven't had any AVIs that I had the right video codec for play choppily in Quicktime, and I'm on a 1 Ghz eMac, not really top-of-the-line. (FWIW, I currectly have the DivX, 3ivx (modified) and XviD codecs installed, DivX pre-5.2.1 without the "generic MPEG-4 decoder" so the faster 3ivx decoder can decode DivX and MPEG-4, and the XviD QT Component to play XviD.)

Apple needs to get with the program and realize that avi is the video format of choice no ones encodes tv shows or movies to torrents as .mov and most cameras nowadays do avi over that as well
You don't seem to realize that Quicktime can be quite capable. If you wanted to distribute a movie, compressed with MPEG-4, put on a couple of subtitles (maybe even add a nice menu to it) you could do it all in Quicktime and rely on that everyone with QT 6 or above can play it due to the codecs that are supplied out-of-the-box and Quicktime text. With AVI, you'd have the users download DivX/XviD/whatever codec you choose and VobSub to display subtitles. Not to mention that you could fit a lot more audio/video data in a given filesize due to the lower overhead of QT files.
On a related note, I wouldn't mind a PC either, but that would mostly be for the files encoded by people who don't realize that wmv3 should stay inside wmv/asf containers.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 11:26 PM

Apple needs to get with the program and realize that avi is the video format of choice....
Apple doesn't care about movies I download off Kazaa. Their main target with Quicktime is content creators.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2005, 02:57 AM

quicktime will play AVIs with the right codec, just ridiculously slow even on the fastest machines, video gets choppy on and off. The one reason i would want a PC is avi, u can't watch or burn to dvd avis anywhere near as easily on a mac. Apple needs to get with the program and realize that avi is the video format of choice no ones encodes tv shows or movies to torrents as .mov and most cameras nowadays do avi over that as well
.avi is NOT a video format. It is a container for other formats and is why so many codecs are required. Apple, since they like to follow these things called standards, intentionally does not include these codecs since a) they don't own them and b) it encourages people to use that crap. QT is a great app, just install the codecs you want or use videos that abide to mpeg standards. My machine isn't that fast and I have never have a problem with choppy video playback, even before I added more RAM so I don't know where that is from. Your other comment about burning easily also confuses me as I burn avi's all the time with no problems at all. Finally, most cameras I have used use QT compatible files and even have the QT logo on the box.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules