Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iTunes (How can i autofill an entire playlist with GENRE)

iTunes (How can i autofill an entire playlist with GENRE)
Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 07:58 AM

I am updating all the music in my iTunes Library. Specifically, i'm filling out the GENRE category (which was always wrong or blank for some reason)

It seems that i have to select each individual song...click the blank genre box...and fill in 80'S.

Is there anyway to autofill an entire playlist or section. With over 1000 songs, it will take me forever.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2005, 08:52 AM

If all of the songs in the playlist are one genre, select all of the songs (Command-A or select first song, hold shift and select last song), Command-Click > Get Info. Type in the genre in the "Genre" box. Click OK. If iTunes asks for confirmation, say Yes/OK.

Voila.

You can do this for nearly any song attribute including cover artwork. So you can select all songs from one artist and album, and give them all the same album name and cover artwork at the same time.

Saves loads of time.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2005, 08:48 PM

WOW! That bit of info will save me a LOT of hassles! Thanks.

anders8848
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cleanup
If all of the songs in the playlist are one genre, select all of the songs (Command-A or select first song, hold shift and select last song), Command-Click > Get Info. Type in the genre in the "Genre" box. Click OK. If iTunes asks for confirmation, say Yes/OK.

Voila.

You can do this for nearly any song attribute including cover artwork. So you can select all songs from one artist and album, and give them all the same album name and cover artwork at the same time.

Saves loads of time.

Yes, I have done just the same whit my old files no problemas.

But I just got a few dvd's from a friend that I made copy into itunes, and when I try to change the genre of the new music it happens, but as soon I play the song it slipps back to the old genre...

any one got a clue? I have moved all files into the right/same folder in Music/itunes but same resullt.

Anders

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 12:28 AM

If they are mp3s, try using the Advanced->Convert ID3 Tags..., and update them to a version 2 tag.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2005, 01:55 AM

Creating a Smart Playlist will also do the trick. Easy as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

anders8848
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bmedina
If they are mp3s, try using the Advanced->Convert ID3 Tags..., and update them to a version 2 tag.

Yeah... I just tried that but no luck I mark the song and change it to all different versions 1.0 1.1 2.0 2.2 2.3 2.4 None of them do the trick. Still the genre slipps back to the old one when I play the song again

anders8848
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 03:07 PM

So I have got my problem sorted out...

I marked all songs and advanced, convert selection to mp3

You will now create some new mp3 files and when you are done just delete the old file
(they are still marked)

So now you can change the info again whit out problems.

This worked for me

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by anders8848
So I have got my problem sorted out...

I marked all songs and advanced, convert selection to mp3

You will now create some new mp3 files and when you are done just delete the old file
(they are still marked)

So now you can change the info again whit out problems.

This worked for me

Yep, but you re-encoded your MP3 which means they sound like **** now. It will be very noticeable unless you've got bad ears or don't care

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

anders8848
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Yep, but you re-encoded your MP3 which means they sound like **** now. It will be very noticeable unless you've got bad ears or don't care
Noooooo way I have to check it out right away!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules