Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes auto conversion to lower quality

iTunes auto conversion to lower quality
ScotHamedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 08:51 PM

I have this issue, I encoded all my CD's in Apple Lossless, cause I want them in clean form on my mac. Trouble is, when I want to put them on my iPod, of course, they do not fit, and they suck battery life like crazy.

I think i saw on the shuffle it will auto down-sample them, but I can not seem to do this with a iPod.

What tools are there out there to help this situation? Sure, I can select the songs and allow itunes to make a copy at another bit rate, but then there is this copy laying around and I have to manage duplicates in my itunes library. This works, but its a mess.

Suggestions, scripts etc welcome.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 09:22 PM

Yeah, it would be nice for Apple to have that option for regular iPods....

Here's what I do.
Initial rip is to Apple Lossless. Then I change the encoder to AAC at 128kbps, select all the new lossless files, and use "Advanced->Convert Selection to AAC" to re-encode them. When the encoding is done, I select all the AAC files and append "(iPod)" to the end of the album name. This makes it easy to browse just the lossless files.

Next, I have two smart playlists set up. One contains all files of kind "Apple Lossless," and the other contains all files with "(iPod)" in the album name. I have my iPod set to sync all songs in the iPod playlist. Having a lossless playlist makes it easy to play only lossless files at home. For example, I can use party shuffle with the lossless playlist as the source.

This system has worked pretty well for me since Apple Lossless was introduced. I do have to manage two copies of each song, but Smart Playlists make it pretty easy. Let me know if you have any ideas to improve my system.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 14, 2005, 09:35 PM

There is a certain amount of risk involved in asking an iTunes question in the MacOS forum. The friendly local mod might move it to the Applications Forum for you, or he might be in a hurry. In which case it could just get locked.

ps - I'm not your friendly local mod. Just visiting.

ScotHamedia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 10:50 PM

From the forum description, which I read before i posted:
Topics about applications (including all Apple apps, such as iLife, Final Cut, DVD Studio Pro, AppleWorks, Safari, etc.) belong in the Applications forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules