Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy Holidays! What tech did Santa bring you?

Happy Holidays! What tech did Santa bring you?
andi*pandi
Dec 27, 2021, 01:41 PM

I got some bluetooth sports headband/earphones, which I plan to use not for sports but for listening to music at bedtime and blocking out the SO's snores. I also got another switch controller so we can do 4person mario kart battles.

Rest of the family also got various kinds of headphones, a webcam for the luddite whose windows machine didn't come with one... nothing much big.

What about the rest of you?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 27, 2021, 02:28 PM

I got my wife a new MacBook Air to replace her aging (aged?) 2008 MacBook. She’s really liking it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Dec 27, 2021, 03:10 PM

No tech under the tree for me this year, and that's just fine. The missusSanta says there's one more gift on the way, but I really doubt it's a replacement for my ageing old iPad. Oh well.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 27, 2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I got some bluetooth sports headband/earphones, which I plan to use not for sports but for listening to music at bedtime and blocking out the SO's snores. I also got another switch controller so we can do 4person mario kart battles.
Did you only have one controller before? Or did you want four full controllers instead of two split into four? I got a wireless Animal Crossing PowerA controller at Target for $35, that's been my go-to while the kids like the Joy-Cons.

It kind of bugs me that the pink and purple joy-cons are both left-handed, my daughter would love a pink and purple set if you could get one for each hand.

No tech this year. Got a couple of things for the truck, a board game, some tools, a candle, some pants.

Got my son Mario Maker 2, Zelda BotW, and another Mario game. Just in time as we just beat Super Mario U Deluxe on Christmas Eve.

andi*pandi  (op)
Dec 27, 2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Did you only have one controller before? Or did you want four full controllers instead of two split into four? I got a wireless Animal Crossing PowerA controller at Target for $35, that's been my go-to while the kids like the Joy-Cons.
We previously had the 2 original blue/red joycons, and one adult-sized basic wireless controller because the joycons make my hands cramp. So this is another one for the olds to use. This new one has some color touches which I think will make it easier to read... the other one was black on black.

I also got metroid dread to try it out on!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2021, 12:34 AM

Santa brought the Mrs a home pod mini to use at work.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2021, 01:22 PM

Got my fiancée some Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones. Got my mother an iPad. And for myself I replaced all the smart lights in my home with Nanoleaf Essentials bulbs.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2021, 01:33 PM

Self-gift, but I replaced my total dog 2014 Mini HTPC with an M1.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Dec 28, 2021, 02:14 PM

Self gift, picked up this game to play with my girl; we have two PSVR setups in the house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSXf6NKoGJI

We've only tried it a couple nights so far, but when you have two AIM (gun) controllers, it's pretty friggin fun. Cannot believe we have affordable VR gaming setups these days, I paid $150 for a used PS4 and $150 for a barely used PSVR kit, so $300 in total. So fun.

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2022, 09:39 AM

Self-gift, a cd player (Rotel CD11 Tribute).
one post closer to five stars

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2022, 09:29 PM

Santa brought me “subversive tech”: a sweet new turntable arm made by some super old Japanese geezers.

It’s not tech, but somehow it is.

It’s not the tech I needed or deserved. It’s the tech I wanted.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 5, 2022, 10:20 PM

Deets!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2022, 09:23 AM

Jelco TK-850L 12-inch tonearm.

Jelco was the tonearm side of a hundred-year-old Japanese family jewel-related manufacturing business and the youngest employee was like 75 or something. They’ve been making quality turntable tonearms for decades and decades. They came out with a significant new product lineup (four different-class arms, the 850 being second from top) about three or four years ago. They celebrated the company’s century in 2020 and then shut it down due to a variety of factors that included Covid, new tooling requirements, and presumably the junior apprentice being a septuagenarian.

It’s a sad story and it would be nice if someone could take over, but from what I can tell from online it doesn’t sound like they were that interested.

Anyway, it’s tech in the way a needle in a groove making music is tech. Magic!!!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules