Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will Leopard Make My iBook More Teh Snappy™?

Will Leopard Make My iBook More Teh Snappy™?
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 07:15 PM

I was thinking of upgrading to Leopard, but if it will make my already slow iBook even slower, then I'll hold off until I buy a new Mac. If it will speed things up, as I'm certain I heard, then I'll be purchasing.

So, what'll happen?
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Jun 27, 2008 at 07:39 PM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2008, 07:20 PM

Since you're planning on buying a new Mac at some point, I suggest saving your money - don't buy Leopard.

I don't know if it'll be faster, but I'm moving this to the notebook forum since it's more about the iBook.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
So, what'll happen?
An increased urge not to use outdated slang such as "more teh snappy:"

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2008, 07:35 PM

The first thing I'd do if I were you is to max out your memory. Shouldn't cost more than 80-100 dollars, and it will make a huge difference. With max memory, I've found that my 1.5 ghz G4 basically ran the same under 10.4 and 10.5.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2008, 07:42 PM

For one thing, I listed to Macworld podcast talking about snowleopard and certain apps will be streamlined (meaning to decrease in size considerably) .. making it more nimble. Nevertheless, snow leopard I believe will only be intel capable. Having said that, If you plan on sticking with the iBook, then Leopard is your last chance of an OS upgrade.

WayzataXC05
Jun 27, 2008, 08:49 PM

I've got a powerbook with 1gb of ram and switching to leopard seemed slow most things down by quite a bit. So i'd say hold off unless you need a feature that's offered on in leopard but not with tiger. Just my 2 cents.
Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 1gb ram, 64 VRAM----5G Ipod and a Shuffle

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2008, 11:27 AM

Agreed, I'd keep the iBook on Tiger which will probably be the best OS for it. Leopard introduced too many new graphical effects and also munches on a lot more RAM which will make things bog down horribly.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2008, 12:06 PM

I agree, my friend put 10.5 on her iBook 1.33 GHz with 768 meg ram, and in hindsight, she should have stuck with 10.4...but she could upgrade the ram as that seems to be the issue with Leopard. If you have over a gig of ram, Leopard runs a lot better.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 29, 2008, 01:20 PM

I would stick with Tiger for now until you get a new Mac. I agree with everyone here, Leopard is RAM hungry and it will bog things down if you don't have enough. Maybe even sell your iBook on eBay, and put that money towards a new Macbook.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 03:53 PM

Not with 512 mb of RAM. Max it out to 1.5 Gb and it will probably be marginally quicker.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 03:28 PM

Alright everyone, thanks. I've decided to stick with Tiger on my iBook. I'll eventually max it to 1.25 GB RAM (as high as it can get because right now I have 2 256 sticks, one soldered on) and I won't sell it; I don't think I ever could. Its my first Mac

I'm saving for a MacBook Pro but thats not going so well. I've been spending all my money on upgrading my PC and getting new games.

Thanks for all the advice.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules