Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Climate change isn't man-made?

Climate change isn't man-made?
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2015, 06:21 AM

WOW! WORLD'S TOP PHYSICIST AND DEMOCRAT: Obama Backs "Wrong Side" In War On "Climate Change", Follow The Money, Carbon Does Far More Good Than Harm » 100percentfedUp.com

Dyson, himself a longstanding Democrat voter, is especially disappointed by his chosen party’s unscientific stance on the climate change issue.

"It’s very sad that in this country, political opinion parted [people’s views on climate change]. I’m 100 per cent Democrat myself, and I like Obama. But he took the wrong side on this issue, and the Republicans took the right side."

"Part of the problem", he says, "is the Democrats’ conflation of “pollution” (a genuine problem) with “climate change” (a natural phenomenon quite beyond mankind’s ability to control)."

No, this doesn't mean we should stop trying to clean the environment or abandon efforts to find cleaner energy sources, but it does mean that climate science is looking in the wrong direction, apparently.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2015, 11:20 AM

Sigh. This is undoubtedly the dumbest thing I will read today.

You're making wide-ranging conclusions based on opinion articles from "100% Fed Up" now? Dyson might well be the most brilliant man on earth - but he doesn't know anything about climate science. That's been proven over and over again throughout the past decade, had you bothered with a basic search - he's just an insanely smart guy opining on something that doesn't really fit into his personal worldview.

In actual fact, it's "100% true" that mankind can control climate. To publicly claim otherwise is only to demonstrate one's own ignorance to a painful degree.

Freeman Dyson certainly doesn't care about demonstrating his ignorance - he's already a legendary genius and 90-odd years old; he doesn't give AF (and he shouldn't, either). The climate science community has largely been characteristically deferential to Dyson's reputation - while quietly pointing out he has no idea about climate science and doesn't really give a shit to learn about it, either.

I would say that I expected more from someone as highly educated as you - but hey, Dyson is a prime rebuttal in advance. It's easy to get caught in the trap of appeals to authority.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Sigh. This is undoubtedly the dumbest thing I will read today.
Are you really going to start that way?

You're making wide-ranging conclusions
Where?

based on opinion articles from "100% Fed Up" now? Dyson might well be the most brilliant man on earth - but he doesn't know anything about climate science. That's been proven over and over again throughout the past decade, had you bothered with a basic search - he's just an insanely smart guy opining on something that doesn't really fit into his personal worldview.
Whether it's his field is irrelevant. The man knows science, and the scientific method, and he's claiming that climate scientists are playing "fast-and-loose" with the process to see what they want to see, working backwards from their conclusion, not forwards from the problem.

In actual fact, it's "100% true" that mankind can control climate. To publicly claim otherwise is only to demonstrate one's own ignorance to a painful degree.
He never said that mankind can't control climate.

Freeman Dyson certainly doesn't care about demonstrating his ignorance - he's already a legendary genius and 90-odd years old; he doesn't give AF (and he shouldn't, either). The climate science community has largely been characteristically deferential to Dyson's reputation - while quietly pointing out he has no idea about climate science and doesn't really give a shit to learn about it, either.
They aren't really intelligent enough to judge him, maybe they should stop and pay attention to what he's saying, instead of rolling their eyes and saying he's "just an old man"?

I would say that I expected more from someone as highly educated as you - but hey, Dyson is a prime rebuttal in advance. It's easy to get caught in the trap of appeals to authority.
and you attack me just for posting an article for discussion? That's beneath me (you too, for that matter), and all you'll end up with is The Finger and a hearty "go **** yourself".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2015, 01:20 PM

We trust a consensus of scientific fact about pretty much everything but this issue (for those that think like Tightpants). What is it about this issue that brings out the strange skepticism with some?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 31, 2015, 01:26 PM

From what I've read, it's mostly in the US that anthropogenic climate change is disputed. The rest of the world generally believes the climate scientists. They don't try to cut earth-science budgets, or demand researcher emails to prove they're part of a conspiracy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
From what I've read, it's mostly in the US that anthropogenic climate change is disputed. The rest of the world generally believes the climate scientists. They don't try to cut earth-science budgets, or demand researcher emails to prove they're part of a conspiracy.
Why do you think this is?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 31, 2015, 01:40 PM

I give up. What's the answer?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2015, 01:50 PM

I give up. What's the answer?
8, maybe?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2015, 01:51 PM

Honestly, there are no doubt climate change deniers here in Canada too, particularly in the Alberta area.

Why are they pretty consistently conservative/Republican though? That's what is so damn weird.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
We trust a consensus of scientific fact about pretty much everything but this issue (for those that think like Tightpants). What is it about this issue that brings out the strange skepticism with some?
That's a logical fallacy, FYI. Also, I'm not claiming climate change doesn't exist, or even that it isn't man-made, I'm just saying that one of the smartest people in the world is stating that the science behind current climate study is shaky, at best.

Why do you think this is?
and talking "beyond" someone in the 3rd person doesn't make you seem clever, it just makes you look like an asshole.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2015, 02:03 PM

Why are they pretty consistently conservative/Republican though? That's what is so damn weird.
Oh good, you aren't talking about me after all, since I'm neither conservative nor a Republican.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Climate change isn't man made?
No, this doesn't mean we should stop trying to clean the environment or abandon efforts to find cleaner energy sources, but it does mean that climate science is looking in the wrong direction, apparently.
Where?
Your thread title is a question, you post a link, and then self-reply with a conclusion that mirrors the article's premise by saying "climate science is looking in the wrong place, apparently".

Or is this one of those times where someone draws a conclusion based on what you have actually written, and then you come in butt hurt and add a bunch of additional information to fill in the blanks and change the outcome?

Are you really going to start off that way?
Only when the premise is as silly as this one.

Whether it's his field is irrelevant. The man knows science, and the scientific method,
"Well Jim, that's the best argument I've heard for someone's ability to opine on an incredibly broad, complex and nuanced scientific field!"

[QUOTE=Cap'n Tightpants;4337677]and he's claiming that climate scientists are playing "fast-and-loose" with the process to see what they want to see, working backwards from their conclusion, not forwards from the problem.[QUOTE=Cap'n Tightpants;4337677]
Oh yes. An entire discipline of science - with thousands of practitioners, the majority of whom likely think that they probably "know science and the scientific method", largely coming to similar broad conclusions give or take normal and healthy variance - is "doing it wrong". And this one 90-year-old genius who hasn't bothered to study climate science but who "knows science and the scientific method".......has actually been right all along over these past 10 or 20 years.

They aren't really intelligent enough to judge him, maybe they should stop and pay attention to what he's saying, instead of rolling their eyes and saying he's "just an old man"?
It seems weird to me that you think they haven't actually done so. May I suggest you do some of the Google?

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2015, 02:30 PM

Climate change isn't man made?
Where?
Your thread title is a question, you post a link, and then self-reply with a conclusion that mirrors the article's premise by saying "climate science is looking in the wrong place, apparently".

Or is this one of those times where someone draws a conclusion based on what you have actually written, and then you come in butt hurt and add a bunch of additional information to fill in the blanks and change the outcome?

Are you really going to start off that way?

Whether it's his field is irrelevant. The man knows science, and the scientific method,
"Well Jim, that's the best argument I've heard for someone's ability to opine on an incredibly broad, complex and nuanced scientific field!"

and he's claiming that climate scientists are playing "fast-and-loose" with the process to see what they want to see, working backwards from their conclusion, not forwards from the problem.
Oh yes. An entire discipline of science - with thousands of practitioners, the majority of whom likely think that they probably "know science and the scientific method", largely coming to similar broad conclusions give or take normal and healthy variance - is "doing it wrong". And this one 90-year-old genius who hasn't bothered to study climate science but who "knows science and the scientific method".......has actually been right all along over these past 10 or 20 years.

It seems weird to me that you think they haven't actually done so. May I suggest you do some of the Google?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2015, 02:46 PM

@The Final Shortcut,

I've asked this before but never got an answer. Are you Greg?

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2015, 03:55 PM

Really or apparently?

This just looks like some projection. I just wanted to have a talk about the methods used by climatologists to come to their conclusions, especially in light of the fact those methods are being questioned by one of the greatest scientists in the world. Again, I'm not doubting that climate change is happening, or even that mankind is making it worse, I'm just curious if we're looking at it all from the wrong direction and wasting time and resources in the process.

Ad hominem

You know, I did that, and it's impossible to read what the consensus is, given how incredibly defensive the climatologists have been. They haven't addressed his points, they've only hurled insults and accusations. IOW, they don't sound like scientists as much as zealots.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2015, 04:08 PM

You know, I did that, and it's impossible to read what the consensus is, given how incredibly defensive the climatologists have been. They haven't addressed his points, they've only hurled insults and accusations. IOW, they don't sound like scientists as much as zealots.

Maybe they are tired of addressing these points? They are human, and we've politicized the fire out of this issue, often times with political apparatus attached to corporate lobbyists.

OreoCookie
Oct 31, 2015, 09:17 PM

That's a logical fallacy, FYI. Also, I'm not claiming climate change doesn't exist, or even that it isn't man-made, I'm just saying that one of the smartest people in the world is stating that the science behind current climate study is shaky, at best.
You are cherry picking facts to fit your own narrative.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2015, 12:34 AM

Maybe they are tired of addressing these points?
That's quite astute, good point, but I don't believe that they're just tired of being challenged. After all, science is about always proving your theories, and adjusting them as more data is made available.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You are cherry picking facts to fit your own narrative.
I'll get to the root of it, then. I'm trying to understand where (or even if) climate science has taken a wrong turn. Just because I'm starting from a different perspective doesn't mean I'm adrift all by myself on this. Looking at it from the POV of someone who writes checks to NPOs, it's a fight for cash; nearly everyone is chasing money for either business startups or environment studies. The problem is, however, there's no altruism involved in any of it, any of them will gut, shame, or smear anyone else for grant money. Environmentalism is a brutal, brutal business, as rough and tumble as any other, and worse than most.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
@The Final Shortcut,

I've asked this before but never got an answer. Are you Greg?
Sorry, I must have missed your earlier question and was not trying to duck; I'm ShortcutToMoncton. My normal account is self-banned from Pol Lounge and I use this one very, very rarely when I have a hankering to get my panties in a knot about something silly.

Really or apparently?
Mmmmmhmmmmm.

This just looks like some projection. I just wanted to have a talk about the methods used by climatologists to come to their conclusions, especially in light of the fact those methods are being questioned by one of the greatest scientists in the world.
There are ways to go about having a talk. If you're going to use the "let me start with a controversial anti-subject statement and then let's talk about it" method, you might as well try to use a halfway decent source.

Again, I'm not doubting that climate change is happening, or even that mankind is making it worse, I'm just curious if we're looking at it all from the wrong direction and wasting time and resources in the process.
I'm foolish enough to bite: okay, what direction should we be looking at it?

Ad hominem
Incorrect. Pointing out the silliness of your thread premise is not an ad hominem.

Hilarious. Sounds like you aren't searching very hard.. But then again....from your initial and then subsequent comments, that's not a huge surprise.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2015, 01:42 PM

Mmmmmhmmmmm.
Fine. *shrug*

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2015, 07:39 PM

The guy lost my confidence when he said fracking was our future. Fracking has turned out to be a disaster for the environment. The gas engineers here in Houston say it's extremely dirty as they shoot all kinds of toxic chemicals underground which tends to make its way into ground water.

Fracking causes flaming taps

OreoCookie
Nov 2, 2015, 12:04 AM

Just because I'm starting from a different perspective doesn't mean I'm adrift all by myself on this. Looking at it from the POV of someone who writes checks to NPOs, it's a fight for cash; nearly everyone is chasing money for either business startups or environment studies. The problem is, however, there's no altruism involved in any of it, any of them will gut, shame, or smear anyone else for grant money. Environmentalism is a brutal, brutal business, as rough and tumble as any other, and worse than most.
You are conflating science with advocacy groups and politics. Science is for the most part funded by the state, not by donations. And the scientific consensus among experts (Dyson is not an expert on the topic) is overwhelming in favor of anthropogenic climate change. What happens in advocacy groups is another thing.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You are conflating science with advocacy groups and politics.
WRT to Climate Change, you can't separate them, and that's one of the main problems. In terms of dollars, from: donations, grants, advertising, and product development, environmentalism is a multi-trillion $ business.

Science is for the most part funded by the state, not by donations.
Perhaps 20 years ago, but not now, and especially not WRT to the Green movement. It's huge business, perhaps even the biggest business right now...

And the scientific consensus among experts (Dyson is not an expert on the topic) is overwhelming in favor of anthropogenic climate change. What happens in advocacy groups is another thing.
and with that much money at stake, and the fastest-growing industry in the balance, how can you completely trust that what you're being told isn't just more advertising? I'm not saying it's all "tail wagging the dog", we all need to be kinder to the environment and more frugal with natural resources, but in terms of identifying the main causal factors of Climate Change (let alone fixing it) I believe we're looking (purposely) in the wrong direction. IMO, we probably can't fix it and we didn't cause it. Have we been making it worse? Certainly. But we've only marginally sped up a process that was going to happen anyway, even if we'd never touched fossil fuels and HFCs.

That doesn't generate revenue, however, only a good crisis (that we can pin on someone and sell as repairable), does. "If we can't do anything, then no one will want to do anything." As it stands, I think everyone's being sold a bill of goods, "for their own good", because "it's better to do something rather than nothing" and the truth would just depress the shit out of everyone.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2015, 11:26 PM

The best thing anyone who cares about climate change, or the environment in general, can do is stop eating beef. According to the Cowspiracy

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2015, 11:41 PM

I knew this was where you were going from the first post. I guess you've assumed the mantle from ebuddy (may he rest in peace) and Doofy before him: taking the position that Climate Change Science is wrong, providing no valid proof for saying so, but requiring the entire discipline to be somehow "proved" to you in order to change your mind.

I howl with laughter at the absurd-yet-ominous statement that it's the "biggest business". The budget for non-renewable energy resource extraction that can objectively be shown as one of our largest man-made contributor(s) to present day GHG emissions absolutely dwarfs worldwide climate science and environmental budgets....I mean, literally by an order of magnitude. And yet, the popular refrain from the skeptic is the suitably ominous tone that all this science is somehow influenced by this huge money train that's out there for all these academics to ride, if only they can twist the science in a certain way to keep the tap flowing. Meanwhile a dime-a-dozen mid-level executive at one of the many international oil companies makes more money in a year than probably any scientist; or at least, all but a handful of the truly rock-star scientists. I say that not to denigrate oil extraction or non-renewable extraction or money in general; just as an objective fact that the argument is completely and utterly one-sided and absurd.

Ahhhhhhh. It's just so silly, and I knew it would be from the get-go.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2015, 01:04 AM

** a whole load of boring condescension **
Feel better?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2015, 01:08 PM

So, where does the Exxon revelation fit in with all this?

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2015, 02:19 PM

Can you be more specific?

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2015, 04:10 PM

Feel better?
Wake me up when you provide any argument whatsoever to support your apparent position that climate science is looking in the "wrong direction" for causal factors of climate change.

Or hey....maybe even explain what that means? Can you provide that courtesy?

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2015, 04:59 PM

Or hey....maybe even explain what that means? Can you provide that courtesy?
I did provide that courtesy, but I guess you were too busy being indignant that I would question current-day climatology.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2015, 08:02 PM

I'm not; and you did not. That is a complete lie.
( Last edited by The Final Shortcut; Nov 3, 2015 at 10:30 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2015, 01:39 AM

I'm not; and you did not. That is a complete lie.
Really? Don't call me a liar when you're the one not paying attention.

I'm not saying it's all "tail wagging the dog", we all need to be kinder to the environment and more frugal with natural resources, but in terms of identifying the main causal factors of Climate Change (let alone fixing it) I believe we're looking (purposely) in the wrong direction. IMO, we probably can't fix it and we didn't cause it. Have we been making it worse? Certainly. But we've only marginally sped up a process that was going to happen anyway, even if we'd never touched fossil fuels and HFCs.

That doesn't generate revenue, however, only a good crisis (that we can pin on someone and sell as repairable), does. "If we can't do anything, then no one will want to do anything." As it stands, I think everyone's being sold a bill of goods, "for their own good", because "it's better to do something rather than nothing" and the truth would just depress the shit out of everyone.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2015, 11:29 AM

Confusing incidental weather events for climate is a beginner mistake.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2015, 02:54 PM

Really? Don't call me a liar when you're the one not paying attention.
wait.....that is supposed to be your argument? You just made a bunch of loosely connected declarations with zero supporting evidence.

Here, let me try:

"Cancer research is big business and labs are in steep competition. Have they made some progress? Marginally. But people still get cancer and die every day. As it stands, I think it's mostly a way to keep the money train flowing because 'it's better to do something than nothing'. But I think they are looking in the wrong direction for their answers."

Ahhhhhh. Looks perfect!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
The guy lost my confidence when he said fracking was our future. Fracking has turned out to be a disaster for the environment. The gas engineers here in Houston say it's extremely dirty as they shoot all kinds of toxic chemicals underground which tends to make its way into ground water.

Fracking causes flaming taps
Faucets have been flaming long before fracking.
Extinquishing the Flaming Faucet, Exploding the Myth
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2015, 03:51 PM

I posted this before. The "scientific consensus" at the time was the earth was heading toward another ice age. The main culprit? The sun and the change in its orbit. The show features one of algore's advisors, Stephen Schneider.

45/47

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2015, 04:37 PM

Oh, here we go with the same old nonsense parade. Figures. In breaking news: scientists once thought HIV may have been contained to homosexual lifestyles. Therefore, HIV research cannot be trusted.

More at 11.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2015, 04:46 PM

wait.....that is supposed to be your argument? You just made a bunch of loosely connected declarations with zero supporting evidence.

Here, let me try:

"Cancer research is big business and labs are in steep competition. Have they made some progress? Marginally. But people still get cancer and die every day. As it stands, I think it's mostly a way to keep the money train flowing because 'it's better to do something than nothing'. But I think they are looking in the wrong direction for their answers."

Ahhhhhh. Looks perfect!
It wasn't an "argument", I was beginning a discussion. Maybe you need to tone down the aggression just a little, it's a little out of place. Evidence is a strange thing, and if Climategate taught us anything, it's that it's very hard to even question the establishment on their practices, and now the researchers involved in that won't even admit it happened.

For the record, I believe that some pharma companies (at least the larger ones) don't focus on cures, perhaps even suppress research, for certain diseases, just so they can continue selling treatments for symptom. That's one of the reasons I pulled out of trading in big pharma, it's a dirty business. Maybe you should start a thread about that?

Oh, and speaking of not having proof, don't call me a liar unless you have better evidence yourself. That's entirely uncalled for.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Faucets have been flaming long before fracking.
Extinquishing the Flaming Faucet, Exploding the Myth
The fear mongering over fracking is only marginally substantive, at best. I believe some companies have done a piss-poor job of doing it more cleanly, especially 10+ years ago, but the process has become much, much safer.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2015, 07:44 PM

It wasn't an "argument", I was beginning a discussion.
Ahhhh yes, the 'ol "let's discuss how I believe an entire discipline of science is Doing It Wrong.......but let's not resort to facts or substantive discussions, please keep things to a comfortable and easy-to-understand level of conjecture and misinformation, thanks!"

Maybe you need to tone down the aggression just a little, it's a little out of place.
No thanks. Taking a page from your own recent self-described modus operandi, I'll be as aggressive as I feel is warranted.

Evidence is a strange thing, and if Climategate taught us anything, it's that it's very hard to even question the establishment on their practices, and now the researchers involved in that won't even admit it happened.
If Climategate taught us anything, it's that scientists got very defensive when someone hacked their systems, released their correspondence, and then people with a clear agenda took a whole rack of specific statements out of context and accused them of professional misconduct.....even after extensive independent audits conclusively showed otherwise.

Who would've thought?!?
For the record, I believe that some pharma companies (at least the larger ones) don't focus on cures, perhaps even suppress research, for certain diseases, just so they can continue selling treatments for symptom. That's one of the reasons I pulled out of trading in big pharma, it's a dirty business. Maybe you should start a thread about that?
And this has what to do with the thread at hand?

Or are you implying that climate scientists might be selling the cure for climate change?

After all, it's not like any of the regular anti-climate change entities have any personal stake in ensuring that GHG emissions are not curtailed.......oh, wait.

What's your argument, again? Oh right, no argument.....just a discussion.

Oh, and speaking of not having proof, don't call me a liar unless you have better evidence yourself. That's entirely uncalled for.
Better evidence for what? Why would I be providing evidence?

I'll repeat my statement: you lied. Contrary to your own assertion, you did not, and have not, provide any argument whatsoever to support your claim that climate science is looking in the "wrong direction".

Vague speculation and random declarations are not an argument.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2015, 02:52 AM

Ahhhh yes, the 'ol "let's discuss how I believe an entire discipline of science is Doing It Wrong.......but let's not resort to facts or substantive discussions, please keep things to a comfortable and easy-to-understand level of conjecture and misinformation, thanks!"
No, I just wanted to talk because my mind wasn't, and still isn't, set yet.

If Climategate taught us anything, it's that scientists got very defensive when someone hacked their systems, released their correspondence, and then people with a clear agenda took a whole rack of specific statements out of context and accused them of professional misconduct.....even after extensive independent audits conclusively showed otherwise.
That's irrelevant. What they said, no matter the context (I've read them, they aren't nearly as "out of context" as you want to believe), or how the info was obtained, was damning (with a repeat performance in 2011). The sheer volume of bias, coercion, and deceit is overwhelming. You can't cheer Snowden and then tar the people who released the ClimateGate docs, at least you can't while trying to maintain intellectually honesty.

Who would've thought?!?
I don't think you are (thinking, that is). You're just reacting and being a brat.

And this has what to do with the thread at hand?
There are signs of severe corruption in both areas of study.

After all, it's not like any of the regular anti-climate change entities have any personal stake in ensuring that GHG emissions are not curtailed.......oh, wait.
I don't care about the anti-climate change entities. In fact, I've made most of my money through investing in alternative energy tech.

What's your argument, again? Oh right, no argument.....just a discussion.
Yep. I use those to help make decisions.

Better evidence for what? Why would I be providing evidence? I'll repeat my statement: you lied. Contrary to your own assertion, you did not, and have not, provide any argument whatsoever to support your claim that climate science is looking in the "wrong direction". Vague speculation and random declarations are not an argument.
You're more of a liar than I'll ever be then, because you delude yourself. You whore out your judgement for "the greater good" and then get pissy if/when anyone questions it. That's contemptible.

No thanks. Taking a page from your own recent self-described modus operandi, I'll be as aggressive as I feel is warranted.
Talk about taking a statement out of context. Nah, I'm just going to ignore your PWL sockpuppet, I don't feel like letting you unload your emotional baggage on to me.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2015, 11:58 AM

No, I just wanted to talk because my mind wasn't, and still isn't, set yet.
That is a completely different thread, then. If you wanted a discussion, you could have initiated one.

Instead, you decided to try the proverbial equivalent of starting a Middle East discussion with a one-sided article written by an extremely controversial figure. And then you think you get to throw up your hands and innocently pretend it was all a misunderstanding? Come on. You're smarter than this, and so are we.

That's irrelevant. What they said, no matter the context (I've read them, they aren't nearly as "out of context" as you want to believe),
The part when everyone knows you're lying again: when you claim to have read thousands of extremely boring and mundane emails and documents between climate scientists.

or how the info was obtained, was damning (with a repeat performance in 2011). The sheer volume of bias, coercion, and deceit is overwhelming.
You are completely and utterly out to lunch. The Climategate emails revealed no such thing. Again: there were multiple independent inquiries that cleared the scientists involved of any misconduct or scientific fraud. In the end, the made-up controversy helped show everyone that more and better transparency was a Good Thing, and made a lot of scientists realize that they should probably be more professional with their emails. But considering it was a completely unanticipated data breach involving an extremely complex and changing discipline, it was actually surprising that more didn't come of it. But you're going to try your best, aren't you!

You can't cheer Snowden and then tar the people who released the ClimateGate docs, at least you can't while trying to maintain intellectually honesty.
That time you claimed "intellectual honesty" while trying to equate a targeted breach and data dump of scientists' emails by foreign nationalists with an anti-science agenda, which was deliberately twisted and misconstrued by anti-science media in an attempt to discredit the scientists and their work - but eventually cleared those scientists of any wrongdoing by multiple independent investigations.......with a guy who claims he just could no longer handle the illegal and/or unethical things his own government AND employer was doing, and released information that at least partly showed that he was entirely correct about what was happening?

Oh yeah. Totally. Just intellectually dishonest to think that those are two different situations in any way.....amirite?

I don't think you are (thinking, that is). You're just reacting and being a brat.
A wonderful deflection and non-response given your complete lack of information or evidence provided in what is ostensibly a discussion about science. Bravo.

There are signs of severe corruption in both areas of study.
Lol. Where?? You're just saying stuff without any shred of evidence to back it up! Oh, there are "signs of severe corruption" in climate science? Do tell! By all means, point us to the severe corruption....

I don't care about the anti-climate change entities. In fact, I've made most of my money through investing in alternative energy tech.
....okay? So your financial tip is that one should not invest in things you do not care about? Or is it that one should not care about things you don't invest in? Or is this just another irrelevant deflection? Hmmmmm.

Yep. I use those to help make decisions.
If this is the type of information you have used to help you make decisions in the past, then I am scared for you.

You're more of a liar than I'll ever be then, because you delude yourself.
....about what? What are you talking about? I ask you to provide proof to assess your broad claims, and your response is not to provide any proof and claim that I'm the one "deluding myself"? Hoooookay.

You whore out your judgement for "the greater good"
.....I don't even know what this means. Or wait, do you think climate science is about your "judgment"? Like, you just sit back, think about it for a bit, and then use your wisdom to conclude everyone's doing it wrong?

and then get pissy if I don't think you are (thinking, that is). You're just reacting and being a brat.
Hah. Ooooooo, this kind of sounds like one of those threads when Shaddim realizes he's not looking too good and doesn't want to try backing up his own statements, so he gives a parting condescending insult and then takes his toys out of the sandbox and goes home....

Talk about taking a statement out of context. Nah, I'm just going to ignore your PWL sockpuppet, I don't feel like letting you unload your emotional baggage on to me.
....yup!

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2015, 03:23 PM

That is a completely different thread, then.
No, it was this one, until you shit in it.

The part when everyone knows you're lying again: when you claim to have read thousands of extremely boring and mundane emails and documents between climate scientists.
Did I read all of them? No. Most had to do with personal garbage.

You are completely and utterly out to lunch. The Climategate emails revealed no such thing.
They actually do. You bitching and pissing that they didn't doesn't mean anything, snowflake.

That time you claimed "intellectual honesty" while trying to equate a targeted breach and data dump of scientists' emails by foreign nationalists with an anti-science agenda, which was deliberately twisted and misconstrued by anti-science media in an attempt to discredit the scientists and their work - but eventually cleared those scientists of any wrongdoing by multiple independent investigations.
They cleared them due to, "OMG, that was mean" and ignored the contents. They're gov't-funded, the idea that they're entitled to as much privacy as a private citizen not directly receiving such funds is laughable.

Oh yeah. Totally. Just intellectually dishonest to think that those are two different situations in any way.....amirite?
No, you're not right, actually. Either way, gov't-owned info was released, from gov't-funded computers and servers. The contents of those servers is public property.

A wonderful deflection and non-response given your complete lack of information or evidence provided in what is ostensibly a discussion about science. Bravo.
I took a page out of your book for that.

Lol. Where?? You're just saying stuff without any shred of evidence to back it up! Oh, there are "signs of severe corruption" in climate science? Do tell! By all means, point us to the severe corruption....
Wow, I got you to try and defend Big Pharma. That's awesome. Let's see, there's; falsified studies, bribery, paid shills, plain ol' fraud, blackmail, price fixing, and murder. In contrast, the Climategate fraud, manipulation, and deception, while no less pervasive, is less sinister.

....okay? So your financial tip is that one should not invest in things you do not care about? Or is it that one should not care about things you don't invest in? Or is this just another irrelevant deflection? Hmmmmm.
My tip is to not get emotionally involved in investments.

If this is the type of information you have used to help you make decisions in the past, then I am scared for you.
Awww... How touching.

....about what? What are you talking about? I ask you to provide proof to assess your broad claims, and your response is not to provide any proof and claim that I'm the one "deluding myself"? Hoooookay......I don't even know what this means. Or wait, do you think climate science is about your "judgment"? Like, you just sit back, think about it for a bit, and then use your wisdom to conclude everyone's doing it wrong?
You blindly believe anything climate science, and any other data spit out by the progressive collective, without giving it critical thought, so I guess I can't attribute to malice what is more easily explained by sheer stupidity, or your lack of judgement.

Hah. Ooooooo, this kind of sounds like one of those threads when Shaddim realizes he's not looking too good and doesn't want to try backing up his own statements, so he gives a parting condescending insult and then takes his toys out of the sandbox and goes home....
No, it simply means that you're incapable of having a discussion bordering on politics (or science) without screaming and being a drama queen. Maybe you should adopt a religion, that way you can look at your political views with more criticism and not get so emotional about them?
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Nov 5, 2015 at 03:45 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2015, 03:31 PM

Progressive Collective sounds like a Jim Henson property.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2015, 03:36 PM

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2015, 03:36 PM

WTF? The server is acting very strangely. Fixing whatever the hell happened...

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Progressive Collective sounds like a Jim Henson property.
I tend to think of it more as a Star Trek thing, very Borg-like.

Or, oh, even better! Like the Schoolhouse Rock videos. "Progressive Collective, what's their objective!"

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2015, 09:53 PM

*bunch of nonsense*
I.......don't even know what you're talking about. Blah blah blah, climate science is a big conspiracy? The usual paranoid rambling you get from the ignorant.

Wow, I got you to try and defend Big Pharma. That's awesome.
Lol, whaaaaaaaaaaat? How in God's green earth do you think I defended Big Pharma, when I specifically asked you about climate research? Are you completely high?

I don't even........where the hell are you going with this? Are you even reading what I'm saying? And you do understand how this relates more to big-emissions industries than climate science, riiiiight?

In contrast, the Climategate fraud, manipulation, and deception, while no less pervasive, is less sinister.
Hathahaha. And finally.......here we go! The proof! Hmmmmmm......let's see what we have here........oooooooo, a couple conservative think tanks! Published by.......hmmmmm......climate scientists? Oh. No. Anyone who's published a climate-related paper? Hmmmm. Nope. Appears more to be........some retired people with Big Industry backgrounds dedicated to anti-climate change and/or Right Wing causes! And from a brief review of their material......have almost no idea what they are talking about and make completely basic factual errors about climate science! Yay!

My tip is to not get emotionally involved in investments.
I don't even

You blindly believe anything climate science, and any other data spit out by the progressive collective, without giving it critical thought, so I guess I can't attribute to malice what is more easily explained by sheer stupidity, or your lack of judgement.
Orrrrr......orrrrrr..........my knowledge of climate science? The fact that I actually read these studies and understand them? The fact that I understand how they are created and rigorously checked? The fact that I am acquaintances with several climate scientists and have convenient ease of access to their vast knowledge when I have a stupid question to ask?

Or is it the fact that I don't form my opinion on climate science from agenda-driven shills on the internets, like you do?

No, it simply means that you're incapable of having a discussion bordering on politics (or science) without screaming and being a drama queen. Maybe you should adopt a religion, that way you can look at your political views with more criticism and not get so emotional about them?
Wait......politics.. That's an interesting and sudden addition to this thread! Might I point out that no one else has mentioned politics.....I've asked for nothing but science, anything but science....and suddenly, rather than have to actually talk about the science...... you post links to the right-wing "it's a vast conspiracy" blogosphere, and here we are - voila politics! Forget the science, am I right?

No.......let's not talk about the science. That would be so.....inconvenient.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2015, 11:12 PM

*a bunch of indignant rambling with a plea to authority fallacy on top*
I score you only a 5/10 on that trolling. *golf clap* Brava.

The misrepresentation of what I was saying was over the top, and you were too pissy from the onset (something I'd already criticized), it really killed the mood and made me disengage and lose interest. Oh well.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2015, 11:40 PM

But of course it did. The old "appeal to authority" argument when talkin about science - as though we shouldn't consider what the actual scientists have to say when talking about science. Ye gads.

Your posts here are pathetic and ignorant. But you know that. Which is why you've "lost interest" in typical fashion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules