Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Feature or a bug: File Sharing over IP

Feature or a bug: File Sharing over IP
cypherpunk
Nov 28, 1999, 03:27 PM

In OS 9 when I start file sharing with the ability for other computers to connect via TCP/IP and then try to connect via another mac on the same ethernet network through the network browser or through the chooser it connects via Appletalk. If I choose: connect to server, and enter the IP address it will indeed connect via TCP/IP.

Is this a feature or a bug? I understand that Appletalk can be faster in certain situations. When I did a simple speed test TCP/IP was slightly faster. I'm not really to worried about it but was wondering if there was an obvious reason for this.

fleshhorn
Nov 28, 1999, 10:58 PM

Actually TCP/IP is faster than Appletalk in any case, and no what you states is not a bug. When you select a server in the Network Browser, notice its listed under Appletalk? yeah, once TCP/IP File sharing is turned on, another neighborhood will show up as "Local Services", there your TCP sharing server will show up. When connecting to a server, the client will only try TCP first if the server is running ASIP or OS X Server , not personal file sharing. Not a bug

cypherpunk
Nov 30, 1999, 04:43 PM

-----
Actually TCP/IP is faster than Appletalk in any case, and no what you states is not a bug.
-----
Under light loads using a Linux/Netatalk server, Appletalk is actually faster. I've read this and tried it.

------
When connecting to a server, the client will only try TCP first if the server is running ASIP or OS X Server , not personal file sharing. Not a bug.
------
I understand what is happening. I'm asking WHY it doesn't use TCP/IP by default for personal file sharing. Sounds like a bug to me.

fleshhorn
Nov 30, 1999, 05:24 PM

Actually I wouldn't deem any merit to Linux/Netatalk tests, that software can be configured and tweaked so much, getting any accurate reading is hard. For your knowledge, Netatalk was designed and remains mainly an Appletalk based sharing solution, althought TCP capable. AS for the TCP/IP, why does it matter if the server is listed in the damn Network Browser anyway?

Forum Links
Forum Rules