Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 24 Hours and still waiting for iDVD to finish

24 Hours and still waiting for iDVD to finish
sonofmof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 12:11 PM

Hi Guys

I hope you can help me

I am still fairly new to the mac scene having bought a 1.25ghz eMac not too long ago.

I have updated the Ram to 1Gb and added a pioneer dvd107 multiformat DVD burner, no other mods.

yesterday I made an iMovie project using the DV footage taken over christmas and then clicked the iDVD button to make it into an iDVD project.

I added a theme - another short movie, (quicktime) and tem selected burn.

I also added the RAW footage into the DVD Rom section making te total disc size 3.8GB

After almost 24 hours my emac still says "multiplexing and Burning"

the emac doesnt appear to qhave crashed and i have started activity monitor to see whats happening.

it says:- Process ID 917 Threads 13 Real Mem 253.14Mb Virtual Mem 1.58GB

The CPU usage never exceeds 20% - there is noting else running apart from norton antivirus, (and activity mon of course)

The virtual mem figure is still rising so i think it is still working.

Why has it taken sooooo long ? I know it is a g4 emac but even so.

Why does iDVD not use more CPU power - would the process not be 4x as fast if it used 80% CPU ?

I would be extremely grateful for any ideas as to why this is taking so long and also any suggestions as to how to make it faster.

If i fall in love with my emac i may decided to ditch my PC all together and buy a G5 - (but i cant bring myself to do it just yet!, I think my time is now 50% Mac 50% PC)

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Chris

PS power save mode is set to never for Mac and HDD - only the screen turns off.

banninated68
Banned
Dec 27, 2004, 02:31 PM

It shouldn't take that long... sounds like something is screwed up. Retry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules