Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS-7 a 6-hour download?

iOS-7 a 6-hour download?
Thorzdad
Feb 25, 2014, 11:12 AM

Last night, I went to (finally) update my wife's 4s to iOS 7, in light of the recent SSL debacle. So, I hook her phone up to iTunes, do a backup/sync first, then click the Update button. iTunes started downloading the update, and reported that the download would take 6 hours

Since it was already 9pm, I cancelled the download, opting to try it again another time, when she has the time to be without her phone.

Is this a normal download time? I seem to recall updates to iOS 6 taking mere minutes. 6 hours seems a bit extreme.

andi*pandi
Feb 25, 2014, 11:46 AM

It didn't take that long for me to go from 6-7 a few months ago, but I'm guessing apples servers are hammered with requests due to the security problem/update.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2014, 12:03 PM

I think mine was done within an hour, the ye olde iPhone 4 took longer than the iPad mini to install, but nothing took anywhere near 6-7 hours.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Cold Warrior
Feb 25, 2014, 09:35 PM

Going between major point releases requires a full download (700 MB-1.2 GB?), but minor point releases are "delta" updaters--just the changes. A lot of times when I start an iTunes download, it'll tell me a long time then a few minutes in, it will adjust the estimate down. I typically get 1-2 MB/s from iTunes, but if their servers were slammed and you were trying the full iOS 7 updater, i guess it could have bogged them down.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Feb 26, 2014 at 07:03 AM. Reason: spelling)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2014, 09:36 PM

The file size for my 5S was about 1.5 GB, and it took me about 25 minutes to download on my 30 Mbps connection.

raybright
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2014, 10:39 AM

I downloaded iOS 7 to my then iPhone 4 two days after the release. Took about 2 h if I remember correctly (3 tops). So even if everyone's updating now because of that security thing, 6-7 seems a bit much.

HamSandwich
Feb 26, 2014, 04:51 PM

Didn't take so long on an iPad 4 here, I was rather surprised it was finished so quickly...

andi*pandi
Feb 28, 2014, 01:50 PM

going from 7 to just the update took about 20 minutes (but failed the first try for some reason).

have you tried again yet? any luck?

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 1, 2014, 08:31 AM

Will be trying again later today.

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 1, 2014, 08:57 PM

The update went smoothly and took about 20 minutes from starting the download to finishing the update.
iOS 7 is...interesting.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2014, 05:46 AM

Give it a couple days. iOS 6 seems quaint and tacky now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules