Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple debuts special page for iOS 7.1 release

Apple debuts special page for iOS 7.1 release
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 10, 2014, 07:33 PM

Apple's release earlier on Monday of iOS 7.1 is considered significant enough to prompt the company to create a dedicated page for it, showing off some of the new features and improvements made in the release. The page covers the major "marquee" features of iOS 7.1, including support for CarPlay (in supported automobiles), automatic HDR selection, better control of Siri, changes to the Calendar and phone icons, and a bevy of bugfixes, along with improved performance for iPhone 4 users and other more subtle and optional tweaks.

Some of the changes to the Phone application
Some of the changes to the Phone application

The top highlight is CarPlay, Apple's new system for integrating key functions of iOS 7 into an vehicle's built-in infotainment system. A number of carmakers have already demoed or pledged support for the system, and the company says its interface allows drivers to utilize a "smarter, safer way to make calls, get directions, or play music from your iPhone while in the car" by just plugging in an iPhone. A "learn more" link takes visitors to a more detailed page on CarPlay technology.

Other parts of the page inform users that iOS 7.1 now lets them control exactly how long Siri "listens" by holding the Home button; that the Camera app can be set for "HDR Auto," which will take two exposures automatically if conditions seem appropriate for an HDR image to be a significant improvement, but will otherwise just take a normal exposure; that some of the icons for phone use have been updated, and that the month view in Calendar now indicates events and gives brief reminders of what they are when a given day is tapped.

A new darker option with less transparency
A new darker option with less transparency

In addition, the page lists improved performance for iPhone 4 owners, improved Touch ID recognition that affected some users, and an occasional Home Screen bug that caused crashes has now been resolved. Unmentioned on the overview page but also present in iOS 7.1 are more minor features, such as some changes in Accessibility settings that allow for larger and bolder type, a duller white background, darker colors and less transparency in the dock and folders, along with new "head gesture" control of functions like Siri for disabled users; a redesigned "slide to power off" slider; an overall improvement in the speed of animations, such as opening folders; the ability to have all "burst" photos uploaded to Photo Stream, rather than just the auto-selected "best shots"; a new, separate "Touch ID & Passcode" section on the main page of Settings; a tweaked keyboard design, and more obvious "buttons" in the phone dialer and with phone icons generally.

The updates also "breaks" the current Evasi0n jailbreak for iOS 7.0.4 by closing a key kernel exploit as part of its various security fixes. Evasi0n users will want to avoid the update until a new method for installing the unofficial alteration is found.

Calendar and Call Option changes
Calendar and Call Option changes

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 10, 2014 at 07:37 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Mar 10, 2014, 09:03 PM

Horrible change to the incoming call screen. They went from full pictures to tiny circle and wasted space.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 11, 2014, 12:10 PM

Hey MacNN, do an article to see if performance increased on lower end models like the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I've read other places that this might be the case.

vintagegeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2014, 01:35 PM

There was a poll this morning showing people preferred 3:1 the OLD Avatar Look to the new mini-Avatar.

vintagegeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2014, 01:39 PM

The Apple page barely shows anything. There is a great video at MacTrast.com walking you through the many visual changes, those which are defaults and those where you have control of the settings.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
Hey MacNN, do an article to see if performance increased on lower end models like the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I've read other places that this might be the case.
Well, it's mentioned in Apple's own release notes, as quoted above...

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2014, 06:05 PM

Grendelmon: From the article: "In addition, the page lists improved performance for iPhone 4 owners" -- I haven't put it on my own iPhone 4 yet (I don't use that phone anymore except for traveling as it is unlocked), but thanks for the reminder. I can tell you that my current iPhone (the 5s) is *significantly* "snappier" (no, seriously, it is!) at moving around and opening stuff than it was before, so I imagine this will be reflected in my iPhone 4 when I'm done updating it.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 12, 2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Well, it's mentioned in Apple's own release notes, as quoted above...
No, I mean measured performance. App launch times in 7.0.x vs 7.1, etc. Apple is vague in their generalized statement of "iPhone 4 users will enjoy improved responsiveness and performance." Improved how? Just saying.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2014, 01:44 PM

I was referring to your statement that you'd read "elsewhere" that there were improvements on the iPhone 4. You'd read that everywhere, since it's in the release notes and in this very article, too. Wasn't important.

In any case, here you go:

iOS 7.1 on the iPhone 4: As good as it’s going to get | Ars Technica

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 12, 2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I was referring to your statement that you'd read "elsewhere" that there were improvements on the iPhone 4. You'd read that everywhere, since it's in the release notes and in this very article, too. Wasn't important.

In any case, here you go:

iOS 7.1 on the iPhone 4: As good as it’s going to get | Ars Technica

Thanks, Spheric. Actually, the Ars article is specifically what I was referring to when I said elsewhere. FWIW, I was wanting to know how the update runs on both the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, as I said in my original post. Ars also did a good writeup for iOS 7 on the iPad 2, and I'm curious to know how 7.1 runs in comparison.

Don’t let me down, Apple: iOS 7 on the iPad 2 | Ars Technica

I still haven't gone to iOS 7 on my iPad 2. I'm not convinced that it will perform acceptably, and there really isn't anything in there that I want anyway (several features new in 7 aren't supported on the iPad 2 anyway). Just curious.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2014, 05:38 PM

It's rather nice on the iPad 2. Not nimble, but nice.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 13, 2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by vintagegeek View Post
There was a poll this morning showing people preferred 3:1 the OLD Avatar Look to the new mini-Avatar.
Agreed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules