Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > iOS 7.1 breaking Personal Hotspot on unsupported networks

iOS 7.1 breaking Personal Hotspot on unsupported networks
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 19, 2014, 03:30 PM

iOS 7.1 appears engineered to block people from using the iPhone's Personal Hotspot (tethering) feature on carriers without official support, complaints on Apple's support forums indicate. Previously it was possible to manually edit APN settings to connect to any carrier. Since that editing is gone, though, tethering has been limited to the smaller number of carriers that officially offer Personal Hotspot.

While some people have used APN editing to avoid paying extra fees for tethering, the issue is a more serious concern for people using an iPhone on a carrier that does allow tethering but is without an official iPhone deal, which can include some BYOD (bring-your-own-device) providers.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2014, 11:49 PM

This feature, and some carrier policies on this feature have been a source of frustrating for me and many others.

If anybody knows of a way to edit APNs on AT&T phones to make the personal hotspot feature work without jailbreaking, please let me know! It seems like this is not possible though, since AT&T doesn't allow APN modifications.

Cold Warrior
Mar 20, 2014, 09:20 PM

It's included if you have the right plan. If you modified things to tether/hotspot without att's blessing, they would figure it out and bill you for it. There are plenty of news reports detailing their emails to customers saying they detected tethering and would sign them up for it at x cost.

So it'd be pointless to try an apn hack.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2014, 09:22 PM

Grrr... I can't even begin to explain how opposed to this policy I am.

Cold Warrior
Mar 21, 2014, 12:23 AM

I hate it too--the data we pay for should be ours to use. It's one of the reasons I switched to Verizon when the iPhone 5 came out: tethering was included. Sure it was probably required of them given the terms of their spectrum purchase for LTE, but it was better than AT&T's tethering mess and their crappy coverage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules